LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. New revised heads based on the LS6 design.
2. New revised composite intake manifold
3. New 90mm TB
4. New 4" bore aluminum blocks

There is talk that the 3V heads rumored to be released in 2006 with the LS7 will also be a bolt on for the GenIII engines...Just some food for thought

Now my own thoughts...........
They say that the TB in the GTO is 90mm, which we all blew off as typos. The new intake does not look that much different than the ls1/6 intake. The Comp intake's runners look pysically bigger and taller..... I wonder if the ls2 intake will even compare.

·
13 year owner
16,382 Posts
DevilYellow said:
The new intake does not look that much different than the ls1/6 intake. The Comp intake's runners look pysically bigger and taller..... I wonder if the ls2 intake will even compare.
Sure it does. It's got hard edges on the runners vs LS1/6 motors. That and the kick arse fuel rail covers were the first things I picked out.

I may be purchasing a set of these covers for my GTO and having some more custom work done.

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
Now that we know the specs on the LS2 as it will be used in the '05 C6, when do you think it will show up in the GTO? Holdenman was indicating that it would be in the 05 GTO. That would be great but based upon past experience, it would seem unlikely that GM would put the vette's motor in another car immediately. Thoughts? Insider information?

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about it. CMNT might know a tad more about then, but the Aussie cars and the Vette are the only ones currently using an aluminum LSx motor. Why would they want to keep the LS2 production limited and continue casting old LS1/LS6 blocks? I think they'd save money by doing the LS2 in bulk. In reality its just an LS6 with a bigger bore and a tad nicer induction.

Depending on how the block is made we might be able to see bigger c.i.d. engines :) Stupid C5R block is $7,000. Why settle for 427 when you can have a 455? Most likley I'll do a "421 'Super Duty'" motor for my 04.

·
13 year owner
16,382 Posts
I think it is simply a matter of supply at first. They have to have enough production LS2's for the C6 at least, then the GTO (if it does indeed get it), then for any other passenger cars that get it, then a cast iron version for the trucks.

It's all a matter of phasing it in, then phasing out the LS1/6 engines as the LS2 become more common. Think back to 1996 when the LT4 was the upgrade from the LT1. Then in 97 the LS1 came out in the C5, then in 98 it came out in the F-Body, then in 99 the trucks got their cast iron version Vortec's.

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
that link to gm spec sheet said ohv 2 valve per cylinder. I thought the LS2 was supposed to be 3 valve. It has 3 valves in the pic on the other page.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts