LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 gto I installed a cam about a year ago and I’ve decided to do a heads upgrade but i want to get the right setup and by the way it also has the trunion upgrade. Other mods done to engine exhaust, pace setters long tubes, vararam intake . My goal is to get 500 or more at the wheels when I had it dynoed it was 421 at the wheels but i want to keep it where it’s still driveable cause it’s a weekend cruiser also a fast 102 and nick williams electric throttle body to throw on once I install the heads

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
You’re going to need to go FI if you want to get 500+ RWHP out of an LS2.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
you should hit 470-480 or so.

there are a ton of aftermarket heads as well as CnC places out there.

IMHO texas speed/PRC has one of the best CnC options out there. about 800 bucks on a set of 243's and you should get another 30-45 horsepower.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you want the best heads dont get stock ported heads. Look into the PRC 227s or some mamo ported TFS heads. Bump the compression up a but and have better valve clearance than stock ported heads too.

Do the 102 tb, a MSD atomic intake, get a 25% under drive pulley, and do a flex fuel setup and you should be close to 500

·
Registered
254 Posts
You’re going to need to go FI if you want to get 500+ RWHP out of an LS2.
500 is doable NA with the right combo. Has to all be put together to compliment each other. I bet I'm close and there are a few things i could change to still pick up another 15whp or so. But I'm done dropping $ and it's good enough.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
If you want the best heads dont get stock ported heads. Look into the PRC 227s or some mamo ported TFS heads. Bump the compression up a but and have better valve clearance than stock ported heads too.

Do the 102 tb, a MSD atomic intake, get a 25% under drive pulley, and do a flex fuel setup and you should be close to 500
just be aware that the PRC's have bronze guides and you will probably want to do roller rockers and will need to spec your valvesprings accordingly. you can probably have powdered metal guides installed, if you want.

don't get a 25% ud. get a stock size or 10% max, ATI preferably. the size of harmonic balancer matters if you want to actually protect your engine.

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
500 is doable NA with the right combo. Has to all be put together to compliment each other. I bet I'm close and there are a few things i could change to still pick up another 15whp or so. But I'm done dropping $ and it's good enough.
NA 500rwhp on an LS2 has got to be such a wild build that it would be miserable to drive on the street. I’ve 430rwhp on my 05 with stock heads, ported FAST intake, moderate cam, UDP, Duspeed CAI, catless into a 3” catback. I may be able to get up toward the 460-470 mark with good heads, but would need a monster cam to get any higher, and still don’t believe I could hit 500.

Also, I’m talking stock bottom end too.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
NA 500rwhp on an LS2 has got to be such a wild build that it would be miserable to drive on the street. I’ve 430rwhp on my 05 with stock heads, ported FAST intake, moderate cam, UDP, Duspeed CAI, catless into a 3” catback. I may be able to get up toward the 460-470 mark with good heads, but would need a monster cam to get any higher, and still don’t believe I could hit 500.

I would agree with this.

500+ n/a is definitely doable on a 364 ci engine, problem is what RPM range it's going to be made it.

Your cam is going to have to be big enough to have pissy drivability, like ski said.

I remember the megadeath grind's claim to fame was 500whp on stock 243 heads, lol.
Yeah, i wouldn't want that cam in my engine. Maybe in a stroker. Thing has like 19 degrees of overlap.

Odd OP picked a blower cam. I wonder how that will work out for him.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
My guess is if you swap to a different spec cam and get a good pair of heads you'll get close to 500 and have a setup that makes more torque under the curve than if you stayed with that cam and just got a set of heads.

That cam should still make good power though.

·
Registered
254 Posts

There are several guys on the gto drag racers page on facebook with HCI setups making 500+whp with a stock ls2 bottom end and clicking off 10 second passes. I made 440whp with the converter locked (400whp unlocked) with a 232/236, a fast 102, stock tb, pacesetters, 2.5" exhaust, 25% UDP, xair intake, on 93 on a dynojet.

My updated setup is street tuned only but it consists of PRC 225s (compression is 11.5:1 now), 102 tb, ls3 maf, flex fuel tune (primarily run e85), and went to a 3" exhaust. Car picked up a TON of power and is prefectly streetable.

I spoke with Jeoff from EPS who cut my current cam and he said if I went more wild on cam I'd pick up another 5-10. The MSD atpmic intake manifold is proven to make 5-10 peak more than a FAST102 and if I had a better set of headers with a nice collector and merge that would help me make a few more too. With these changes I am confident I'd break 500 with the stall locked but I am not spending $2000 to pick up a few extra ponies at this point.

As far as the 25% UPD, I have had 0 issues. I have my idle set at 900, cooling system does great in the summer, charging system maintains a charge, and the AC blows ice cold. Car does great in creeping bumper to bumper traffic in the Washington DC area and it has a fairly large stall on top of it.

Everyone overlooks going to a 3" exhaust but there are a few guys who have picked up 10-15whp on HCI setups going larger. It also sounds a ton better.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
There are several guys on the gto drag racers page on facebook with HCI setups making 500+whp with a stock ls2 bottom end and clicking off 10 second passes. I made 440whp with the converter locked (400whp unlocked) with a 232/236, a fast 102, stock tb, pacesetters, 2.5" exhaust, 25% UDP, xair intake, on 93 on a dynojet.

My updated setup is street tuned only but it consists of PRC 225s (compression is 11.5:1 now), 102 tb, ls3 maf, flex fuel tune (primarily run e85), and went to a 3" exhaust. Car picked up a TON of power and is prefectly streetable.

I spoke with Jeoff from EPS who cut my current cam and he said if I went more wild on cam I'd pick up another 5-10. The MSD atpmic intake manifold is proven to make 5-10 peak more than a FAST102 and if I had a better set of headers with a nice collector and merge that would help me make a few more too. With these changes I am confident I'd break 500 with the stall locked but I am not spending $2000 to pick up a few extra ponies at this point.

As far as the 25% UPD, I have had 0 issues. I have my idle set at 900, cooling system does great in the summer, charging system maintains a charge, and the AC blows ice cold. Car does great in creeping bumper to bumper traffic in the Washington DC area and it has a fairly large stall on top of it.

Everyone overlooks going to a 3" exhaust but there are a few guys who have picked up 10-15whp on HCI setups going larger. It also sounds a ton better.
I'm not concerned about my accessories. I'm concerned about the harmonic dampener actually doing it's job. I mean it's your motor, do what you want.

I tend to agree on most other aspects of your comment, though. However, I would like to see some 500+ whp std correction dynos on a stock bottom end ls2, and what they've done. I would just be interested to see what combos they are using.

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
You just confirmed what I was saying when you said “GTO drag racers”.

I want to see someone with a streetable GTO making NA 500rwhp. I don’t think it exists, so please prove me wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i talked to guy that work at afr on the phone and recommend a lot of heads for my build 205,215,225 or 220 cc I forgot which one he said but he said the 230 cc would be the best of both worlds . But from your all expierence would you think the 230 cc head for my car for power and drivability and durability

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
You just confirmed what I was saying when you said “GTO drag racers”.

I want to see someone with a streetable GTO making NA 500rwhp. I don’t think it exists, so please prove me wrong.

Just because that's the name of the group doesnt mean much. I bet you if I switched the parts i mentioned ony build I would be sitting right at 500 locked and it's completely street friendly.
With today's technology and so much aftermarket support it's not unreasonable to make that power in a street car.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well i talked to guy that work at afr on the phone and recommend a lot of heads for my build 205,215,225 or 220 cc I forgot which one he said but he said the 230 cc would be the best of both worlds . But from your all expierence would you think the 230 cc head for my car for power and drivability and durability
You'll be fine with those. If money isnt a big issue give this guy a call, not only about your heads but about your intake too.
GALLERY | mamomotorsports

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
Just because that's the name of the group doesnt mean much. I bet you if I switched the parts i mentioned ony build I would be sitting right at 500 locked and it's completely street friendly.
With today's technology and so much aftermarket support it's not unreasonable to make that power in a street car.
What one may call streetable another does not. It's up to what someone wants to live with.

...so how about posting specs on some of those combos?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts