LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post this because I saw some conflicting info across the web. There are two throttle bodies that will bolt to our LS2 manifolds and plug in to the connector.

One of them is the "Gold Blade" LS3/LS7 (09+) throttle body. GM PN: 12605109

The other is the "Silver Blade" LS2/LS3/LS7 (05-08) throttle body. GM PN: 12570790

The silver blade throttle body is stock on all LS2s from 05-08. I decided to port my stock LS2 throttle body this weekend. I took too much off too close to the throttle blade. I put it back on the car and it idled around 1400RPM and the car basically drove itself until about 35MPH.

I searched and found the gold blade throttle body and noticed that they were significantly cheaper new, around $200 cheaper. Most people on LS1 tech and a few on this forum said it wouldnt work. There were couple of people that said it did work. I decided to take a chance and try the gold blade throttle body. Amazon has them for about $146, free returns. This is the one I bought.

I got it today and put it on the car, cleared the codes, performed a idle relearn procedure with my Tech 2 and drove it around. The car drives 100% great. Idles normally, throttle response feels similar to a stock silver blade throttle body. I can go WOT in all gears without throwing codes or "Reduced engine performance" mode.

Ive driven the car around for about 20 miles so far and all is good. I'll update this thread if anything changes.

Few more pieces of info: Yes, the top of this throttle body blade opens towards the intake manifold (AKA backwards from the silver blade). Yes, the throttle position sensor inside the throttle body reads the correct voltage and percentage. Driveability is great, like the stock silver blade LS2.

All of this was done on a 2005 LS2 A4 GTO.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was under the impression these would not work with our cars AT ALL.

interesting.
Thats honestly what I was expecting. From what I read, is most people who installed them their car idled and drove fine under part throttle. When they went over about ~70% or so throttle the car would throw a code and the "reduced performance mode" would activate. I read alot about that on the LS2 vettes. Perhaps our E40 ECMs are programmed differently than the ECM on the vette and can handle it.

Or maybe I havent driven the car long enough for this issue to occur. Time will tell. Its my daily so I'll drive it back and forth to work and this weekend a bit to see. I'll update this thread if anything changes.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
re

The gold blade throttle body opens the opposite way of the LS2 throttle body. They work great for FI. I also heard that Gold blade throttle bodies are more difficult to tune for LS2 E40 ECM--danfigg

·
Registered
234 Posts
Interesting you guys with gold blades had no issues. My throttle body just died. Bought a silver blade, but it hasn't shipped yet. Might get a gold blade if that falls through. They are literally almost a third of the price.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I bought a silver blade LS2 throttle body for my LS6 off the forums here for $90 shipped. They can be had for cheap.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting you guys with gold blades had no issues. My throttle body just died. Bought a silver blade, but it hasn't shipped yet. Might get a gold blade if that falls through. They are literally almost a third of the price.
You can always order that one off of Amazon, try it, and if it dont work you can just send it back.

I bought a silver blade LS2 throttle body for my LS6 off the forums here for $90 shipped. They can be had for cheap.
I looked up and down for a cheap silver blade throttle body for about a week before I ordered the gold blade throttle body from Amazon. Cheapest I saw was one on here for about $200, there were a few on Ebay for about $275 and some on LS1Tech for about $200 also. Those were all used prices. I would rather take a chance on a brand new throttle body that I can return vs a used one that I cant return.

Drove the car to work this morning and it drove great. No CEL, and no pending codes.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
re

Im buying an LS3 intake set up from GM or who ever has it cheaper. I will gladly sell the LS3 throttle body to who ever needs it----danfigg

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was iffy on buying a used one.

Anybody ever order from Corvette Mods? They have what they claim is a new GM silver blade for about 270 (ACDELCO being about twice as much). Hasn't shipped yet apparently and I ordered it 5 days ago. Thinking they might have it listed, but it's just not in stock. Might have to email them in a few more days if I don't hear back. Just a heads up for some of you guys also.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was iffy on buying a used one.

Anybody ever order from Corvette Mods? They have what they claim is a new GM silver blade for about 270 (ACDELCO being about twice as much). Hasn't shipped yet apparently and I ordered it 5 days ago. Thinking they might have it listed, but it's just not in stock. Might have to email them in a few more days if I don't hear back. Just a heads up for some of you guys also.
Funny that you mention it, I assume you are talking about this?

http://www.corvettemods.com/1997-2013-Corvette-Throttle-Body-GM-LS3-Style-90mm-_p_7832.html

I was about to order that one. They claim it is "Stock" for 05-07 LS2s which would be a silver blade.

I would try the gold plate TB from Amazon, and if it dont work just send it back.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Funny that you mention it, I assume you are talking about this?

http://www.corvettemods.com/1997-2013-Corvette-Throttle-Body-GM-LS3-Style-90mm-_p_7832.html

I was about to order that one. They claim it is "Stock" for 05-07 LS2s which would be a silver blade.

I would try the gold plate TB from Amazon, and if it dont work just send it back.
Yep. They even dropped the price $40 bucks since I ordered. Even checked the price last night so they must have just done it. How Lovely. Definitely gonna see what's up with that.

Edit: Not only that, but they changed the part name to LS3 from LS2, even though the description is the same stating that it's for an LS2 and the pictures show a silver blade. Probably gonna be my first and last order from them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just to update everyone on Corvettemods.com, DON'T ORDER FROM THEM.

They're falsely advertising the product and their costumer service is the worst I've ever encountered.

I asked them multiple questions about the product and they didn't even bother to try to answer, instead simply skipping to my request to cancel if they couldn't fix the situation.

Looks like a gold blade is in my future.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to update everyone on Corvettemods.com, DON'T ORDER FROM THEM.

They're falsely advertising the product and their costumer service is the worst I've ever encountered.

I asked them multiple questions about the product and they didn't even bother to try to answer, instead simply skipping to my request to cancel if they couldn't fix the situation.

Looks like a gold blade is in my future.
Yeah they seemed a little sketchy, I found them from a "Sponsored link" on ebay when I searched for a LS2 throttle body.

Worst case scenario you can file a claim with your credit card company to get your money back.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah they seemed a little sketchy, I found them from a "Sponsored link" on ebay when I searched for a LS2 throttle body.

Worst case scenario you can file a claim with your credit card company to get your money back.
I got an email stating they refunded the amount so we'll see. Just a shitty company.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts