LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have talked to my service manager about the LS6 conversion. He is all for it. Well, I've been checking around a little and have come to the conclusion that many aftermarket heads are really LS6 heads(casting #243) that have been improved with better goodies. So I asked my SM about this and he said that as long as the heads were GM and were as good or better quality wise(upon his inspection of specs) that he didn't see a problem with using them.

This being said, what would you guys suggest, trying to stay in the same price range as the LS6 factory heads?

Cam ideas also would be nice. Nothing wild, I want something with 114 & up LSA.

BTW, I hope that everyone's dealer is as cool as mine about mods. :hail:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
This is correct. You'll find that the cam is also a GM cam too. Just ground to be more aggressive.

Did you think the aftermarket actually made their own heads from scratch?

I'll be honest. There is nothing wrong with the LS6 units. They're good factory "hot rod" improvements and allow for warranty coverage to not be put in jeopardy if that's an important issue to you.

However, for the same price, or even less, you can get more aggressive, better built, and in the long run, more powerful combinations from Patriot, GTP and a few others.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
I am trying to find a dealer like this in my area. Northern NJ. Anyone know of any? Or have personally dealt with any?

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
I'm looking around as well in North NJ, Morristown area. I think Salerno Pontiac might be into it. The owner of the dealership has a modded TA convertible and I think a modded purple GTO. I'll have to scope it out one day that I'm off.

LiqTenExp said:
I am trying to find a dealer like this in my area. Northern NJ. Anyone know of any? Or have personally dealt with any?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
rferr said:
I just called the GMPP dealer for this area again and I did not even mention the GTO. I just asked about an LS1 to LS6 upgrade. He said they had never done one and that "it causes alot of problems when you change things" direct quote. Geez. I guess these people would rather do oil changes than $3000 dollar jobs.
it causes alot of problems? WTF :sneaky: :eek2: idiota!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
rferr said:
I just called the GMPP dealer for this area again and I did not even mention the GTO. I just asked about an LS1 to LS6 upgrade. He said they had never done one and that "it causes alot of problems when you change things" direct quote. Geez. I guess these people would rather do oil changes than $3000 dollar jobs.
Of course. Because they A) don't want to do the work and B) don't want to be liable should something happen that can't be covered under the factory warranty.

Sounds like a dealer that follows the letter of GM's warranty provisions strictly.

·
The GTO Devil...
1,572 Posts
I dunno, the ls6 upgrade sounds good and all , I just paid @30,k for the car. I am hesitant to modify the engine. It would be great if covered by warrenty. But there is a definite grey area , with 90% of dealers saing NO WAY. This concerns me. another fact of concern is the programming, isn't there a stock ls6 program that could be introduced other than shipping it out to ED or others ? Other than that 3,000$ would be a considerable addition to a dpayment towards an 05, that will have 400+hp and a warrenty. Tough Call here.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Technically, anytime you modify it from stock, warranty can be deined. However, these are GM performance parts. So it's a factory backed part. Warranty is a whole grey area we could get into (I did it for a few awhile), but isn't worth it as all dealers handle it differently.

As to tuning, find someone with LS1Edit and a dyno and tune it. You don't need to go to Ed Wright or Steve Cole (mail order) to get your tune. Seeing as though you're in NJ, you have SLP in your backyard. They'll gladly install LS6 parts and tune and probably have a whole install/tune package.

·
Expelled
8,316 Posts
". Dear Customers,

To facilitate the process of bringing new products to market as quickly as possible, we have decided to close the SLP Performance Parts Installation Center to new appointments for the foreseeable future. At the present time, no estimate regarding when, or if, the center will reopen is available.

As always, we thank you for your support.

Regards,
Team SLP PP "

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If that's the case, I believe that there are a few other places in NJ. I've seen other posts here on the board from members in that area.

Point is, one can tune it other than a mail order tune.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
You're here in Chi-town. Give Speed a call.

They usually have cam and heads and cam install packages that include dyno tuning with Jim that are pretty reasonable..

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
PontiacGTO said:
What PCM do you use when doing the LS6 conversion?
You have the stock PCM reprogrammed.
:)
The main benefit I can see by having factory LS6 heads/cam installed is since it is a GM Performance part, they come with a 12/12,000 warranty, and if the dealer installs them, then technically their labor is also covered for 12/12,000, if memory serves. As far as the rest of the driveline is concerned, that is a grey area, as mentioned by CMTMXR.
;)
Screw the warranty on the engine, I say! :bomb: If I blow up this one, I'll get the SLP 402 shortblock, and work on some weight reduction to offset the iron block.
:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts