LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone actually running LS6 heads AND cam yet? I'd like to see some results both w/without headers.

Thanks

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
I imagine this would require a computer reprogramming, right?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
not a total nesessity, people run 224 cams with factory tuning. To get the most power out of it tuning would be good idea. The problem lot of people get is stalling at a stop, with cams larger then 224. The hillbilly way around it is drill the TB hole larger or get proper tuning. The LS6 cam is 204/218 right?

you can get LS6 heads cam chain gaskets etc for $2500, you get a complete LS6 long block for $5,030.

For head and cam swap best value and wow factor a set of AFR 205cc heads would be good and are just under $2500 put you about $3,250 after cam chain gaskets and some extra for tuning.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Why waste your money! For roughly the same cost, you can get an aftermarket set of heads and go well beyond the power level of the LS6 setup. You can attain RWHP of an LS6 motor with simple bolt ons!

And while tuning isn't necessary with the LS6 setup, I would still recommend it in order to get optimum performance out of it. Also, with '04 PCM programmings for these motors being all over the place, it probably wouldn't hurt anyway in order to eliminate any of the gremlins haunting inside it (the PCM programming).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know there are better combos for more power. I was just asking if anyone had done this or not. I would like to see their results. Seems to me, that with stock LS6 heads and LS6 cam added to a set of headers (with a tune, of course), you would put down 380. I had a 99 LS1 with ls6 manifold, LS6 cam, headers, and tune that was putting down 368 and still had the stock LS1 heads.

Just curious....

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Wow... I'm also interested in more power, but also slightly concerned about fuel economy. I know I could put in a wicked cam and heads along with other goodies, but would I only get 15mpg on the highway then with a M6?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
dryheat said:
I know there are better combos for more power. I was just asking if anyone had done this or not. I would like to see their results. Seems to me, that with stock LS6 heads and LS6 cam added to a set of headers (with a tune, of course), you would put down 380. I had a 99 LS1 with ls6 manifold, LS6 cam, headers, and tune that was putting down 368 and still had the stock LS1 heads.

Just curious....
I think 380 would be a little on the high side in this car with LS6 parts. No one that I have read has done it because of so few cars (population), and those that do, go the aftermarket route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts