LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a plan going in my mind, installing LS6 heads and cam in my GTO.
so what do you guys think and where can i find them? :)

·
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
04bluegto said:
Dark is going all out in the last couple of days!! That benz better watch out!!
HEHE
I also have another plan which is PadreGTO's package lol :D :D :drink:

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Gmparts Direct Has Them For $677, Now You Have A Z06. Part No. 12564824. I've Been Thinking Of Doing The Same Thing. Intake Is The Same So The Heads Is All You Need. A Set Of Headers While You Have The Exhaust Manifolds Off And A Comp Cam And Even The Z06 Vettes Would Have Trouble With You.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
GM Performance Parts

Dark said:
I have a plan going in my mind, installing LS6 heads and cam in my GTO.
so what do you guys think and where can i find them? :)
Since you're going for the heads anyway, why not the CNC ported versions? They will require assembly and transfer across of parts (I'd recommend the new HP SS Intake hollow stem and SS exhaust sodium filled stem valves, latest springs, retainers and locks minimally) GM says they'll support up to 500 HP.

·
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Old Goat said:
Since you're going for the heads anyway, why not the CNC ported versions? They will require assembly and transfer across of parts (I'd recommend the new HP SS Intake hollow stem and SS exhaust sodium filled stem valves, latest springs, retainers and locks minimally) GM says they'll support up to 500 HP.
CNC heads ok but i dont that i'm going to have any "ported" parts in my plan, i need somethin that lives longer :)

·
Sponsor
212 Posts
Dark said:
CNC heads ok but i dont that i'm going to have any "ported" parts in my plan, i need somethin that lives longer :)
A good set of aftermarket heads and a nice cam, as well as the vehicle with these mods, will last as long as the factory setup, so long as you keep care of the car and change your oil properly.

I would recommend a nice set of heads, a Comp Cam 224/224, .581/.581, on a 114 lsa, with new pushrods, etc., long tubes, high flow cats, and a catback. You'll easily hit 400 to 415+ rwhp with proper tuning.

On the LS6 setup, with the stock exhaust, you'll see basically 345 to 365, or around 380 with exhaust, both after tuning. Or you could do the LS6 heads with the same cam I mentioned above, and full exhaust, and see 390 to 400 rwhp after tuning.

Give www.ls1speed.com a shout for the parts and ask for Jon!

Sincerely...

·
Registered
150 Posts
What do you think ls6 heads with stock cam and stock exhaust would give ya?

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
dryheat said:
What do you think ls6 heads with stock cam and stock exhaust would give ya?
If I was gonna swap heads there is no way I wouldn't change the cam while I was at it.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
JayStew said:
If I was gonna swap heads there is no way I wouldn't change the cam while I was at it.
Why?

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
If I was gonig thru the time and effort for a head swap, why not change the cam and see even better gains?The LS6 cam is not the same as the LS1.
LS1- 198/208 .500 lift
LS6-204/218 .550 lift

Only 1-2 hours more work for much bigger gains, especially if you go with an aftermarket cam 220 or bigger.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know bigger gains can be had, I was just curious. I would probably do heads and cam but would sure like to know what could be had with just the heads.

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
dryheat said:
I know bigger gains can be had, I was just curious. I would probably do heads and cam but would sure like to know what could be had with just the heads.
I honestly wouldn't know. I haven't seen any numbers on an LS1 for just a head swap. I think if you compared LS6 heads vs. LS6 cam, the cam would show a bigger gain on the dyno than the heads would.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
JayStew said:
If I was gonig thru the time and effort for a head swap, why not change the cam and see even better gains?The LS6 cam is not the same as the LS1.
LS1- 198/208 .500 lift
LS6-204/218 .550 lift

Only 1-2 hours more work for much bigger gains, especially if you go with an aftermarket cam 220 or bigger.
I could be wrong, but I swear I read in an article (I'll look for it today) that the GTO already has the LS6 cam in it, or was it the Z06 cam (That’s how the engine achieved 350Hp). But I'm sure I read that GM wanted a faster launch than the stock LS1 cam would give. I remember thinking to myself after reading the article that the ‘04 GTO LS1 is a unique engine found in no other vehicle. I just can't remember where I read the Information at. Anyone know about this, what cam is in the '04 GTO LS1?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Stock Corvettes come with 350 hp LS1s. It is the exact same motor to the GTO's LS1. Saves money that way.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I believe it is the LS6 intake we have. We would need the head and cam to make it a true LS6.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts