LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two choices:
LS6 Conversion or starting the restoration of my 69.

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7l2la2f.8abs7etb&x=0&y=-ape11z

The resto won and off to the body shop it goes. Bad part is that a friend who worked as a service manager for a Chevy dealership lost his job. They would have honored my factory warranty and done the labor for half price. Win some and lose some. Oh well, i'm happy anyway!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Thats cool, I think its nice to have as many performance cars as possible instead of throwing all your money into one car.

You could combine both ideas and a LS1/T56 in the '69:) Still putting LS6 stuff in your GTO you could have managed spending $3500. Instead; doing the restoration on 69 is gonna cost you 60-70 grand and will only worth 35-40. Better make sure that camaro is a X11 or something. If it has no special attraction other then conv it will be difficult getting your money back if you choose to.

I've done a restoration to a '72 holden Monaro GTS; it was the single worst investment I ever made. The body work is what kills you.

Read the book "rich dad poor dad." Then decide if you wanna marry yourself to this camaro; cause thats what litterally happens during a restoration.

If I had done it all over again I would have bought a decent Monaro around 10 grand and had fun with it instead of spending hours wet sanding and saving up money to have it painted.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Fraisher is right. Except that its not a camaro ;) Other than that he is right on.

You can get a LS1/T56 combo ceaply.... put heads and a cam on it, there are headers made that should clear fine for your car.... and it'll be crazy. I drove my bud's 69 Camaro SS with that style combo and its scary (mostly because its an old car). The steering just doenst feel like what Im used to when you are going WOT and banging thru the gears.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
yeah I thought it was a camaro, the pics he had look pretty rough. That being the case, looks like a headache of a restoration. I can already see bondo in the RR fender by the bumper.

One of the managers at my work his brother is the painter at custom cars unlimited, that hpp mag with the spin tech GTO exhausts he painted the green firebird in that same issue. I think he said the guy dropped $150k for the restoration.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Wow, unless that is a judge...Man I don't know what to say. I love the 68/69 GTO verts more than any other car I have ever seen but that is going to cost you a bucket of money. These are not mustangs or chevys that have cheep/ easy to find parts. If it is a labor of love, go for it. If you have any intention of trying ot make your money back on that one, No way in heck..

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Cool project, get r done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this car is a keeper. I've had it for 13 years (since I was 17) and I have always wanted to restore it. I already have about 7K invested in interior parts and body panels. I am looking to spend about another 30K on it. The car is not #'s matching so I plan on taking liberties with it. As far as the engine goes I am looking into this:
http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/products/engines_assemblies/rotating_assemblies.html#406_412
By the way the car is not a Camaro. It is a 1969 GTO 4 spd originally in Warwick Blue with Parchment interior and a white convertible top. I plan on turning it into a "fake" Judge with a stock appearance. Besides, if I spent 70K on a Cadillac or a Benz, I would never get half of my money back in 5 years. Attached are the only pics I have ever found of this color combo.

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
Nice....... I love the '69's. I am getting near the end of the resto on my '66 convertible. It's been a long road, but well worth it!

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
There is a guy in town that has a red '66 convertible, really nice car.

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
bengood24 said:
There is a guy in town that has a red '66 convertible, really nice car.

Mine's red now too!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
NOS parts are so cool, alot of people take forgranted how cool a 100 point restoration of a hi po muscle car is.

Still a endless bucket of money; i'd rather buy some guys GTO he did all the hard work and sells it for half price.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Glenn,

The 66 goat looks great - can't wait until my 67 is painted. I won't hold my breath!!!! We need to take a ride in your NEW goat and go see your OLD goat!! Maybe it will get me re-excited about my project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts