LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That article is from over a year ago, I am sure some things have been updated since then :D

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Shag Finger said:
I have been hearing since the summer of 02 from very well trusted sources that the LS7 will be a 427 upwards of 540 HP.

This is an interesting sighting.....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228949
I hope that is true and it is put in the 07 or 08 GTO.......I will be all over it like flies on ****..... :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

·
BJ is gone....
1,742 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
That's 500 EASY ponies.

·
BJ is gone....
1,742 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
That's 500 EASY ponies.
Yeah no kidding. That should be one bad arse engine! :cool:

Looks like GM is also going to make a V10 for the '07 truck line.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yep. GM Powertrain has been working on that V10 for awhile now. Matter of fact it came up back in 2002 as to why they even bothered with the 496 (Vortec 8100) and not go V10 like everyone else. To which GM responded with sound reasons. However, CAFE fuel regulations are catching up to them and in order to offer a big gas motor that is tier II and tier III emissions compliant, the old school BBC just can't cut the mustard, so that's why they're biting the bullet.

I miss my 8.1, but I don't miss it's stellar 7mpg around town.

·
BJ is gone....
1,742 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Yep. GM Powertrain has been working on that V10 for awhile now. Matter of fact it came up back in 2002 as to why they even bothered with the 496 (Vortec 8100) and not go V10 like everyone else. To which GM responded with sound reasons. However, CAFE fuel regulations are catching up to them and in order to offer a big gas motor that is tier II and tier III emissions compliant, the old school BBC just can't cut the mustard, so that's why they're biting the bullet.

I miss my 8.1, but I don't miss it's stellar 7mpg around town.
The LQ9 6.0L is going to be an option in the 1500 series so it can compete with the 5.7L Hemi. Good move.

Good God, only 7 mpg? That's a bitter pill to swallow. Was that pulling a trailer or just regular cruising?

·
BJ is gone....
1,742 Posts
Walker said:
My sources still stand by the 7.0, 500 hp line. :secret:
You are correct. The production LS7 is a 7L (427) 500 HP engine that will be the mill for the next Z06 'Vette. The 6.4L (389) is not going to be production and it is used in the GTO Judge. If I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong, but the 7L and 6.4L share the same block which is why the 6.4L was coined the "LS7" by the media.

Peace, out.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Pedalofloudness said:
The LQ9 6.0L is going to be an option in the 1500 series so it can compete with the 5.7L Hemi. Good move.

Good God, only 7 mpg? That's a bitter pill to swallow. Was that pulling a trailer or just regular cruising?
Regular cruising around town. On the highway, I got mid 11's. Towing with it really didn't kill it which was kind of funny. It pulled those MPG's empty or full. :D

But you have a 500 cubic inch V8, pushing 7,300lbs of brick, through an Allison Transmission and 4.10's gears coupled with my semi-heavy right foot and you suddenly become friends with all the local gas distributors. :D

When I lost my job last April, I had to sell it because with the gas prices the thing was killing me. Trust me, I didn't want to, but financially it was just wasted cash when I had two beaters (Monte Carlo and Olds 88) in the driveway that get 21 mpg that I could drive instead.

So now that I am gainfully employed and once I sell the Harley, I will be looking again for another 2500HD, crew cab, with a DuraMax this time.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
I don't know who speculated it would go in the 04 GTO, but do you mean this?

Attachments

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Powertrain said the 7.0 liter didn't need 3 valves to make 500hp, it was suspected it would needed previously. Their is a 4.3 liter V8 GM is developing that uses two cams in the block with variable exhaust cam timing.

·
Goat with a Pulse
382 Posts
Powertrain said the 7.0 liter didn't need 3 valves to make 500hp
So, any guesses as to what kind of HP the 3 valve heads on that 7 liter would put out? Sounds like a killer aftermarket addon. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Acording to JH the three valve heads have been put on the table...for now. The LS7 had to be detuned to "meet" the 500 HP mark. The ceiling for the NA LS7 produced in Wixom is supposed to be about 700 HP. :hail:

·
Goat with a Pulse
382 Posts
Yikes! I woulder how streetable that engine would be at those power levels.

I guessing that an aftermarket/dyno tune will be a popular thing to do with the Z06 when it comes out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts