LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the 1,345,023th thread on this topic, here is what you need to know about installing the LS7 clutch in a LS1 or LS2 GTO.

http://www.redgto.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10039&cNode=5U4I3A

I was the first to install an LS7 clutch in a GTO. The date of install was 9/29/05. I have ~10K on it now....still grabs as hard as when it was brand new. 451rwhp/419rwtq. I haven't been to the drag strip since I installed it, but some here have.

Things to know:
- After install, the clutch pedal releases very close to the floorboard. Given a couple of hundred miles (in many cases, less) the clutch pedal self-adjusts close to where it was stock.
- You have to use the part numbers listed in the link above....the GTO flywheel WILL NOT WORK.
- In my experience (after 3 installs), vacuum bleeding the hydraulic system is the way to go.
- Pedal effort and modulation is comparable to stock.

I'll leave this sticky open so that anyone, that wants to, can add to it.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
this will be my clutch no doubt....good thing to sticky....how do you think it
would do with 500hp? :drink:

·
GM Tech
394 Posts
Just want to add a little to the thread. There is currently no stock of, I believe, the clutch assembly.(can't remember off the top of my head) There is also a recall on the '06 vettes for a improperly machined flywheels. I don't know is this applies to the flywheels people replaced, but someone more in the know may want to check for the rest of us.

Tim

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Yeah, I want one of these but cant find one anywhere.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More good information:

Have a few quick questions. I did read the sicky and other threads however my question still remains unanswered.

-Can I use the GTO pilot bearing or does it have to be from a vette?

-The pressure plate bolts that were mentioned in the sticky, are those different from the GTO bolts or can I just reuse the stock ones.

Thanks. Just trying to get a list together.

The only items I bought when I did my LS7 clutch install was the clutch disc/ pressure plate, and flywheel. Oh...and a bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid.

Some people feel the need to replace the bolts, so thats why those part numbers were added. I've beat on this clutch hard for a year and haven't had any trouble with the original bolts.

The pilot bearing is pressed into the crank, so looking it up for the GTO is required if you need to replace yours.......the input shaft on the transmission and the engine crankshaft aren't being changed. ;) That part # is 14061685.

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
Good Thread Joe,
I have had my LS7 for a while now and everything HRJ said is how my clutch acted. So far this clutch has taken everything I have thrown at it and it is solid as ever. I have not been to the track either but plan to soon as the weather is cooler. Mod for Mod this has been the best one I have done next to the GMM.

Only think installed was
Ls7 Clutch, pressure plate, and Flywheel
Did not change anything else!

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
The clutch alignment tool is not included with the LS7 clutch so if you are doing the install yourself you'll need to find one somewhere.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Is there anywhere I can get one right now?

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Also, if I have someone install it, what's a reasonable amount of shop time in your experience HRJ?

If you were going the DIY route, do you need to pull both the engine and the trans or just one of the two?

·
Bye Bye GTO
2,462 Posts
BlueFlyingGoat said:
Also, if I have someone install it, what's a reasonable amount of shop time in your experience HRJ?

If you were going the DIY route, do you need to pull both the engine and the trans or just one of the two?

Trans only.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Not LS7 specific, but-

Since you mention vacuum bleeding the system- any advice here? It is a bear to get to the bleeder, so I don't know how you were hooking up a hose and vacuum bleeding it- any tips?? I know there is still air trapped in mine- if the car sits for several hours (usually overnight), it has a soft spot on top of the pedal and has to be pumped once or twice. It does not act up at all during the day or while driving though. I bled this thing several times and this is the best I got it. Tips would be appreciated :).
Joe

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
P/N change

ShaneD_06GTO said:
Yeah, I want one of these but cant find one anywhere.
I might have just found the problem...per GMPartsDirect.com

P/N 24237690 REPLACED BY 24238412 - $200.47
P/N 12571611 is still good and listed for $175.86

Can anyone confirm that the new Clutch/Plate P/N still fits the GTO?

Also, someone should probably update the knowledge base once confirmed.

·
Bye Bye GTO
2,462 Posts
What's the status on availability on the LS7 clutch? Anyone know?

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Gene at Fred Beans said they are out of stock and dont have an ETA on any more.

·
Have to sell. :C
831 Posts
ShaneD_06GTO said:
Gene at Fred Beans said they are out of stock and dont have an ETA on any more.
I just ordered one from Jeremy at Fred Beans.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
Scott04GTO said:
I just ordered one from Jeremy at Fred Beans.
Well, I guess Olivia is getting a new clutch tomorrow!

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
I love my LS7 clutch, I've been clutch dumping at 5200RPM for quite awhile now. After about 3-4 passes it starts to show slippage. The fluid doesnt boil over, and I can still drive the car home without any problems from the track. We'll see how it likes 550 RWHP and see where it goes from there.

·
Bye Bye GTO
2,462 Posts
My LS7 clutch just came in today from Fred Beans!! That was fast!:)

·
GM Tech
394 Posts
The new LS7 clutch parts have been released.

Clutch Disc & Pressure Plate: 24238412

Flywheel: 12571611

I checked last night On Fred Beans' web catalog and it looks like they are offering it now.

Tim

·
04 GTO owner
190 Posts
I have one question with the LS7Clutchkit the flywheel that comes in the kit does it fit on a 04 GTO or do i have to get another flywheel. If so can anyone provide a part number for it. thanks i appreciate your help

Joe

1 - 20 of 232 Posts