LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Unfortunately the slave cylinder is bad on my gto with only 27k miles so might as well replace the clutch while I'm at it. I’m planning on getting the ls7 but I’m seeing a lot of different part numbers for Luk brand. Can someone confirm the ls7 clutch number for a 2004 gto? I just have headers, exhaust, and intake at the moment but am thinking about doing a cam as well. Do you guys think the ls7 is enough? Any info/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
The Wulff
2,826 Posts
I believe this is the kit I used

·
It's only cosmetic...
501 Posts
I believe this is the kit I used

That is same the kit I used. It includes a flywheel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses!
And it is the ls7 correct? Not just a stock replacement? Do you think this clutch is enough for a cam, headers, exhaust, exhaust, and intake?

·
It's only cosmetic...
501 Posts
And it is the ls7 correct? Not just a stock replacement? Do you think this clutch is enough for a cam, headers, exhaust, exhaust, and intake?
Yes. It's the LS7 clutch. It's holding up on my 403 setup.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have the same kit going in now, waiting on other parts. How is the pedal feel? The spec that came out was 3 tons to push the pedal 🤣

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys.

now does anyone have recommendations for slave cylinder? Just stick with gm?

·
It's only cosmetic...
501 Posts

I ordered mine through Tick. They have add-ons available like the remote bleeder line.

·
Seriously?
1,607 Posts

I just did this job on my car in the summer. Rock Auto for the LUK clutch, the part number posted is correct. I used a LUK slave for a 4th gen F body and just swapped the fittings. The 4th gen slave was cheaper by a good amount. Definitely hit up Tick Performance for the bleeder line and the brass shifter cup. And if you haven't already upgraded, toss a better shifter on it and get the Cobra Bob shifter gasket. All of of these extras are a no brainer while you have the trans out of the car.

Reactions: JiggilyJoe

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the benefits of the remote bleeder line? Should I get the shims as well?
Will probably go with mgw-p shifter. I imagine proxses will be installing everything as he did my other mods and tune.

·
Seriously?
1,607 Posts
What are the benefits of the remote bleeder line? Should I get the shims as well?
Will probably go with mgw-p shifter. I imagine proxses will be installing everything as he did my other mods and tune.
The clutch is a pain in the ass to bleed with the factory fitting on the slave. If you buy the braided remote line, along with the fitting extension, you can run the bleeder line up into the engine bay and it will make bleeding the clutch a 1 person job with no mess. It is well worth the $100. In other words, you won't have to get under the car, risk dropping your socket inside the trans bell housing, and make a mess to bleed/flush the clutch fluid.

Yes to the shims, since you are replacing the clutch and the slave. I did not do the shims since I kept my 9900 mile stock clutch. My clutch grabs just like it did before the replacement. Better to have the shims and not need them, then to need them and not being able to finish the job without them.

Can't answer on the MGW since I don't have one. I have had a GMM since the beginning. I'm sure others that have it can chime in.

Reactions: JiggilyJoe

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,224 Posts
You might be okay for a little bit, but I personally wouldn't go that route. I had shifting issues at higher RPMs with the LS7 once I installed a cam. The clutch was otherwise fine, and was flawless before the cam swap. With a cam swap on the table, I would look at a single disc offering from Ram or Monster. A full-faced hybrid clutch disc would increase the clutch's torque rating while keeping the drivability close to stock.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a LUK Clutch Kit 04-905, We installed it and removed as the pedal was to heavy for our daily driver. Would be willing to make ya a good deal. Have new bearings.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I have a LUK Clutch Kit 04-905, We installed it and removed as the pedal was to heavy for our daily driver. Would be willing to make ya a good deal. Have new bearings.
Hmm must have hosed something on the install. Mine feels the same as stock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i appreciate the offer but I already ordered new. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts