LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am a dumbazz. I was fooling around last night cleaning out the garage and came across my old black lug covers from my GTP. I was wondering what they would look like on the goat. So I grabbed a 7/8 socket and tried to twist one of the gray ones off. Ooops. They dont twist :banghead: Now I have it off and see that it just pops on and off, but I cant get it to stay back on, it too loose now. So to experiment I grappeb the cover to the left of it and just popped that one off, it too is now loose on the nut. How the heck do you get them to stay on once you take them off????

Looks like I just may have to take all the lugs off and put the ones from my GTP on there. They have the threads on the outside of the lug too for the black covers to screw down onto. That just might work, but I am still curious as to how they expect to keep the lug covers on once you pop them off to say... I dunno......rotate the wheels or replace the tires or do brakes etc.

·
2,432 Posts
If you just use pliers or the special set of pliers in the trunk kit they just pull off. To put them back on they just snap back on. I would guess turning them broke them. On my Firebird they screwed off and I was about a day from doing the same thing when I read a thread about the special pliers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Lug Nut Covers

04bluegto said:
i used a 7/8 socket just pushed on and pulled off the covers.
Hey guys; look in your trunk under the spare (easy to get to with spare in place) and you'll see a yellow plastic tool. Looks like a tweaser. It's the tool to pull the nut covers.

slick50

·
3,327 Posts
These lug nut covers seem to be valueable now... LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm glad this was posted.. I was going to take my rims off next week to clean the insides. I would have thought screw off too...

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the second one I popped off with my finger nails by the ridges in the cap. That would have been the same as using the tool. So with as loose as it was going back on I wasnt too happy with that. And FWIW that loose one that was just floating on the lug was still on after a test drive last night while I was aiming the lights and then today when I had to take it to work 12 miles down 95 at 80 MPH :D

Anyway, I took all my old lugs and screw on black caps to work with me today. Late this afternoon when the shop was slowing down I threw the car up on the lift and swapped out all the lugs. I must say, that the black lug caps look much better on the car and give the wheel some contrast and a bit more character, especially on a silver car with silver wheels. ...... well IMHO anyway :D

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Another thread...

Shag Finger said:
Well the second one I popped off with my finger nails by the ridges in the cap. That would have been the same as using the tool. So with as loose as it was going back on I wasnt too happy with that. And FWIW that loose one that was just floating on the lug was still on after a test drive last night while I was aiming the lights and then today when I had to take it to work 12 miles down 95 at 80 MPH :D

Anyway, I took all my old lugs and screw on black caps to work with me today. Late this afternoon when the shop was slowing down I threw the car up on the lift and swapped out all the lugs. I must say, that the black lug caps look much better on the car and give the wheel some contrast and a bit more character, especially on a silver car with silver wheels. ...... well IMHO anyway :D
...has info and pictures of my new black chrome lugs and locking lugs.

Check over in the Lounge.

Diggs

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AmesGTO said:
We need pics.
Will try to get some tomorrow. Didnt have the camera with me today and it got dark before I got a free moment to get outside at home :banghead:

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics as promised... they arent the greatest since I just snapped them real quick before I head off to work.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
This looks much better than I thought it would! :D

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. My 99GTP was silver with silver wheels and I used them on that as well since they came with the car and I liked the look then so I figured it had to look good on the goat! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts