LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I havent read it anywhere, but my tire guy told me about 90 foot pounds.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My new wheels and tires had the same problem as alot of others in here: steering wheel shake at 50-60 MPH. Had them balanced for the 2nd time today. It worked. Smooth as glass up to 80 MPH. When he put the wheels back on he torqued to 90 foot pounds. Hope he was right!

·
3,327 Posts
AmesGTO said:
I got new tires put on and they said to bring the car in to have them re-torqued in 2 weeks. I'd rather do it myself and I didn't think to ask what the proper proceedure is.
New tires? Have you burned that much rubber already???

·
Registered
523 Posts
AmesGTO said:
What is the proper torque amount for the lug nuts?
I'm pretty sure it's 100 foot-pounds. Check the printed instructions on the underside of the trunk cover over the spare. It has the recommended torque and tightening sequence.

This was the subject of an earlier thread on this site. According to my notes from what I read, torquing is a 2-step process -- First tightening the 5 lug nuts to 50 ft-lbs and then repeating the process to the final 100 ft-lb recommendation. Has anyone noticed the little yellow plastic nut cover removal tweezers stuck in the plastic foam? Cute!

I never had a reason to own a torque wrench until now. I tell ya', this car has opened up entirely new vistas in my life!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Not exactly related but......

Definition of Torque:

You wake up in the morning, with an "enthusiastic" appendage due to retained fluid.
You bend it down to hit the pot, and it lifts you off your feet.

THAT'S torque.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
mistermike said:
Definition of Torque:

You wake up in the morning, with an "enthusiastic" appendage due to retained fluid.

THAT'S torque.
:gr_jest: I'd buy that for a dollar :banghead:

·
Registered
115 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
74-92 lb ft.

Page 5-92 owners manual

I do 85 lbs
Thanks SDF

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Warren said:
New tires? Have you burned that much rubber already???
Once I decided I was going to get new tires I burned some rubber with the old ones. What a pain to clean off the car. With the deal Shag Finger gave me I figured I needed some new wet/dry tires that would hook up better.

These tires are really sticky. They seem to pickup a lot of sand/gravel.

I think I'm going to have to get a torque wrench.

Thanks everyone for the ft lb torque amount!

·
Registered
102 Posts
C5 Vettes had big problems with mis-tightened wheel lugs. They recommend a three stage tightening, 1st to 30 lbs, 2nd to 60 lbs, and finally to 90 lbs. doing it in a single stage caused the brake rotors to warp.
The procedure sounds like a good idea to me, and I do it that way every time I put a wheel on, no matter what car.

Also, if you have replaced wheels with non hub-centric wheels, make sure that you fully tighten the lug nuts BEFORE you put any weight on the wheel.

Carguy

·
chap's black on black gto
4 Posts
All lug nuts should be tightened in a star pattern on the last torque. 7 o/c-12 o/c- 5 o/c- 9 o/c and 3 o/clock,with a torque wrench.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Thanks for the gut buster

mistermike said:
Definition of Torque:

THAT'S torque.
That is one of the funniest things I heard. Ouch, my gut hurts.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Know this...

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
That is one of the funniest things I heard. Ouch, my gut hurts.
With age, you get stronger, and able to bend it to your will easiier. My only question is, how much stronger will I get as I age?.... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts