LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I wasn't sure how to get your attention...

After reading somewhere about a list member and his M6 tranny problems I went to my dealer today. My build date was 10/3 my tranny is sometimes...a real pain to get into reverse, and it has slipped from my 2nd gear shift.
The short of it is........
Tommorrow, my car goes in to get the tranny pulled and a few things replaced per GM. So if you are having any shifting issues, get to your dealer and have them check with Pontiac. The bolt torque and slave cylinder are known issues for some early production cars.

More later...and maybe pictures when it is out of the car!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Can we get a copy of the TSB posted? Sure would give us some ammunition when waltzing into the dealer.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Be carefull. Every Z06 I've ever driven has always had a notchy gear selection. There is something weird with the service manual for that gear box and I've seen quite a few times they were assembled too tight. I dont know what kind of problem the slave would have, they are upgraded from the old LS1 versions. I think there is a small pressure plate problem, but for the most part an upgraded clutch would be something alot of people would want/need.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pontiac04GTO said:
Mine was also built 10/3...
More info...

I was told today that on the early production cars, your car's M6 tranny is fine if you have a yellow "OK" written behind the left cyl. head. Mine was in white and they determined mine was not "OK".

They dropped the tranny and the bolts needed to be at 37ft lbs, were actually at 11 to 19 ft lbs. They are replacing the clutch pressure plate and slave cylinder as well as the flywheel that shows some uneven wear.

I am going to look under the "tranny less" car this afternoon...I will get some pictures if anybody wants them, contact me.

I should get the car Friday.......sure!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't looked for it...from what the service rep told me it should be.

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
I'm dropping mine off at the dealer on Monday. I have a hard time getting it into reverse sometimes and it catches a few teeth on the gears shifting into 3rd sometimes. I'm also experiencing excessive clutch travel with a "loose" feeling pedal.

I think my build date was 11/03.

They said that the computer does have something though not a TSB or recall. Just a "heads up" type message. Shouldn't be too much trouble to get it fixed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'll try to, but if someone could grap the "right" and wrong part numbers would probably be a great help for others.

·
2,432 Posts
derf said:
I'm dropping mine off at the dealer on Monday. I have a hard time getting it into reverse sometimes and it catches a few teeth on the gears shifting into 3rd sometimes. I'm also experiencing excessive clutch travel with a "loose" feeling pedal.

I think my build date was 11/03.

They said that the computer does have something though not a TSB or recall. Just a "heads up" type message. Shouldn't be too much trouble to get it fixed.
Are the last 6 of your VIN over or under 200000?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mines below 186000

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
A few questions...
I can not find the second label that is supposed to be on the firewall. Can someone post a pic or give more detail instructions on the location?

Is there a TSB on this? If so, please post it. If not, how did you convince Pontiac to do these repairs?

My vin is 193907. Build date 11/03. There have been times where I could not get into reverse. I now have 2900 miles and the shifter is getting "notchier". That is, it is not shifting as smoothly as when I got it. I will check the back of the head this afternoon.

Thanks for all of this great info. Pontiac has recognized us as a force it has to deal with.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't see a TSB from my service rep...I have bought alot of cars from them and they pretty much know if I am describing a problem, I have a case. I just wanted him to check it out...and sure enough he found that it was a problem. When he took the tranny out, and checked the bolts...they were loose, so their is an issue.

I don't have my VIN handy, but my build date was 10/03. ( I hope this isn't a problem related only to barbados blue cars :)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
You know vdracer - you may be on to something. I doubt it would be confined to a specific color - but it does appear they are batching the colors together for builds. Therefore it could be from a shift or time period when only certain color cars were built.
Dan

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
AmesGTO said:
Are the last 6 of your VIN over or under 200000?
1906XX

Oh, and mine is silver.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
(laughing)

It figures... the last 6 on my VIN are exactly 193xxx.

Well, not literally xxx, but you know what I mean. My ride is at the dealer's service department as we speak, and I asked them to make sure my M6 tranny was OK per the information in this thread. I hope they take me serious and really look at it.

I haven't had any tranny problems in the 800 miles I have driven the car except that MAYBE reverse was a little hard to find a couple of times. Man, if they have to keep the car over the weekend I will be bummed. We are having GORGEOUS weather.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts