LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
no goat
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so all these threads about tranny problems may just have me paronoid, but I will feel better with some opinions from you guys(or girls :) ).

1. Slight whine in gear typically heard in first or second whether warmed up or not....its not overly loud but is slightly audible with the AC on the 2nd fan setting(hope this gives an idea of noise level) normally in parking lots...around 2000rpm.

2. I thought I noticed second gear being notchy for the first time today....it could be me just slowing my hand down trying to be smoother and just now noticing it, or I was thinking maybe low fluid? I tried rolling at about 25-30 with the clutch all the way in tranny in neutral, then pulling it toward second...even with clutch in I feel and hear a vibration. Could this be bad synchro or is it par for this transmission. Get the same thing trying this in 3rd..not as loud probably due to the slower gear speed.

Those are my only real questions so far, other than that the car is just awesome.

A couple of notes:

Vin# 238xxx
miles ~560
has DOT 4 cap though I haven't checked for "OK" on block
The clutch fully engages at the top, about 2 1/2 or more inches from the floor and has good pedal effort through its travel, so I think its adjust correctly.

Sorry for the long post just trying to clearly convey what I'm hearing.

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The T56 is known for the 1st gear kind of rattling sound...Mine does it and its more apparent with an aftermarket shifter...

Also the notchiness is pretty standard...T56 isn't made to shift like a BMW its pretty much a performance tranny. Thats why the Viper, GTO, F-Bodies, and Mustang Cobras got it...

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
TallyGTO said:
Ok, so all these threads about tranny problems may just have me paronoid, but I will feel better with some opinions from you guys(or girls :) ).

1. Slight whine in gear typically heard in first or second whether warmed up or not....its not overly loud but is slightly audible with the AC on the 2nd fan setting(hope this gives an idea of noise level) normally in parking lots...around 2000rpm.

Any comments appreciated.
it has been found or assumed that the "whine" is the power steering, it is normal. alot of us seem to have.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a power steering whine, but doesn't go away after startup (or shortly thereafter). I can be driving for over half-hour and still have power steering noise. Not loud like the fluid is low or boiling, but noticeable. My friend just bought his and has appx. 100 less miles and his makes the noise but much quieter (as in only be able to hear it when turning wheels while sitting still).

Is that the normalcy (slight noise all the time), or should I consult a dealer about it?

Thanks in advance...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts