LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe DOT4 clutch/brake fluid should be gold to clear.

I'm looking to verify this information before speaking to the dealer.

My clutch master cylinder has dark gray fluid with gel particulates floating in it. :barf:

I think this is a problem, but I need to verify.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Check your VIN. Very early GTO's were sent out with the wrong fluid. There was a TSB on it.

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mistermike said:
Check your VIN. Very early GTO's were sent out with the wrong fluid. There was a TSB on it.
I see all the writing about incorrect fluid, but have not nailed a specific TSB#. I don't think it's in here. I've only found the pressure plate bolt torque TSB#.

VIN: L246698

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone get me a copy of informational bulletin #04-07-31-002??

Thanks.

·
Blk/Red/M6
127 Posts
my clutch fluid on my m6 is dark colored and also has gel like objects floating in it but i am so sick of the dealership that I almost dont want to go back

·
Registered
459 Posts
pontiacgto04 said:
my clutch fluid on my m6 is dark colored and also has gel like objects floating in it but i am so sick of the dealership that I almost dont want to go back
Mine looked exactly the same. Used a paper towel and gently lifted the boogers out.

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pontiacgto04 said:
BOY, don't I know it.

My dealership said they could not recreate the shimmy in the steering wheel between 55-60, and they could not observe the 'fogging' of the driving light reflectors I reported.

That's why I'm looking for assistance before proceeding.

I just think DOT4 clutch fluid should NEVER be black/gray.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Whatever color you would classify brake fluid as. That's all it is.

And as a word of advice, stick with a semi-synthetic blend of DOT 4. Otherwise, full synthetic will eat away the seals and such.

Semi-Syn DOT 4 provides the right heat range without being full syn.

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CMNTMXR57 said:
Whatever color you would classify brake fluid as. That's all it is.

And as a word of advice, stick with a semi-synthetic blend of DOT 4. Otherwise, full synthetic will eat away the seals and such.

Semi-Syn DOT 4 provides the right heat range without being full syn.

So then dark gray is OUT, right?

That may be the problem we're all having. Full-syn DOT4 is eating our seals and ending up as gel-giz on our clutch master cylinders.

Thanks.

·
3,327 Posts
I dont have any boogers, but mine is a dark golden brown/black.

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more person, please.

Is your clutch fluid gray to black?

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Warren said:
I dont have any boogers, but mine is a dark golden brown/black.
Same here.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just checked mine and the fluid is a dark brown and there are gray boogers floating around in the fluid. So far my clutch is working ok. :bomb:

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
Can anyone get me a copy of informational bulletin #04-07-31-002??
I can look this up tomorrow at work for you, if you haven't allready gotten the info. I haven't checked mine, and am a bit too lazy to go out and check it now. :zzz:

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, mates - I appreciate it.

GM Mike, if you could let me know that would be stellar.

Thanks again.

Just worried about clutch boogers.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Look something like this?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Ozzie Goat said:
So then dark gray is OUT, right?

That may be the problem we're all having. Full-syn DOT4 is eating our seals and ending up as gel-giz on our clutch master cylinders.

Thanks.
Dark grey is probably from the graphite/silicone used in them. So yea, it may have eaten away your seals.

Is this the factory filled fluid for you?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Informational - Discolored, Dirty, Dark, Sludge and/or Grease in the Clutch Fluid Reservoir #04-07-31-002 - (02/16/2004)
Discolored, Dirty, Dark, Sludge and/or Grease in the Clutch Fluid Reservoir
2004 Pontiac GTO

with Transmission, Manual 6 Speed, Tremec, 85 mm, 2.97 First, 0.57 Sixth, Overdrive (RPO M12)

It may be observed on some vehicles that the clutch fluid in the reservoir appears to be discolored, dirty, have sludge or grease contaminates in it after being in service for a period of time.

The level of discoloration will vary with factors such as driving conditions, under hood temperatures etc.

This is a phenomenon that may occur with time due to the interaction between the clutch system rubber parts with hydraulic clutch fluid.

The small amount of sludge or grease that may be noticed is, in fact, grease that has migrated from the master cylinder assembly. The grease is used during assembly of the master cylinder.

Engineering investigations of returned fluid samples show that discoloration and grease in the fluid DO NOT negatively affect the performance of the clutch hydraulic fluid.

Field reports indicate that where clutch fluid and or clutch system components have been replaced to address this condition, the vehicles have returned with the same condition causing a repeat repair and a dissatisfied customer.

Discolored clutch fluid should not be replaced in a normal operating system.

For Clutch System Concerns and Diagnosis, refer to Diagnostic Starting Point - Clutch SI Document ID #1338362.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, i just checked my power steering and brake fluid and both are red with no boogers it was built Nov 03 and has about 5,400 mi, but i forgot to check the clutch fluid

1 - 20 of 32 Posts