LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take my car in for a look...I wonder how many of you with the M6 have experienced excessive vibration on the shift lever?

Background:
I have one of the early M6 GTO's, I had the gearbox removed and the dealer replaced the clutch, PP and they replaced the flywheel. I seem to now have (although I have no baseline to check this on) more vibration in my shift lever and I can feel it through the pedals as wheel.

I wondewr if the flywheel is not balanced? Do any of you have this issue, even with the non replaced clutch owners? It really vibrates through the hand/arm during mild acceleration.

Thoughts?

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Mine always has vibrated, but it never really bothered me. I would say if I take my hand off it will move maybe an inch side to side. I had a Camaro SS that did the same thing. I'm used to things vibrating with that engine under the hood :) It's funny at a stoplight sometimes the whole car shakes a little bit.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Mine vibrates a bit too. I often look down at the shifter to see it wiggling as I idle or accelerate. Not enough to worry me just enough to let me know I'm in control of some power. Vibration is a tough one to subjectively observe though. I LOVE sitting at idle and feeling the car rock side to side as if it was saying "lets go, open me up!" :D

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Oh heck... my even my a4 moves, not as much as you describe, but yes... it is quite noticable.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Mine vibrates and I don't like it. I started a thread a while ago and everyone said it was normal. The vibration I get is a very fast - short throw - type. Just like sanding wood with an orbital sander. It's worst under acceleration, 2~4k rpm. I'm not talking about a side to side movement or the movement at idle. I haven't had any work done to the car and mine is a bit later build date. I didn't want to take it to the dealer so my hope has been to find someone nearby that I could drive and do a comparison.

So your not alone.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
My A4 vibrates as well. I play games by going 40mph while putting it in neutral and coast, then turn the engine off and coast. I'm anal, I know. But, I wanted to know if it is the engine or drivetrain (maybe tires??) causing the vibration. I know at 80mph, I experience a back and forth steering wheel annoyance - slight (like a tire is out of balance - But not on all road surfaces). Haven't got an answer yet.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Mine only vibrates very slightly at standing, nothing wrong with that. I too feel
a little rocking back and forth at stop lights and such, but really not that
noticeable.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Other than the cam lope that affects the whole car (which I love - and takes me back to riding in the '71 roadrunner growing up - it just feels like power) I actually have much less vibration in the shifter than I had in the Saturn, or pretty much any other stick I've driven regularly.
Dan

·
Registered
138 Posts
mlc said:
I didn't want to take it to the dealer so my hope has been to find someone nearby that I could drive and do a comparison.

So your not alone.
MLC,

I'll hook up with you for some comparisons. I have only seen one other GTO a black one like yours, I thought that it might have been you, but it had Mass tags on it.

~MattS

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Mine only vibrates very slightly at standing, nothing wrong with that. I too feel
noticeable.
I haven't driven mine all that much, but have notice the rocking at a stop light. Didn't know if it was normal or not.
I have not noticed a vibration through the shifter though.

·
Still plays with cars...
521 Posts
Steering wheel oscillation

johmol said:
My A4 vibrates as well. I play games by going 40mph while putting it in neutral and coast, then turn the engine off and coast. I'm anal, I know. But, I wanted to know if it is the engine or drivetrain (maybe tires??) causing the vibration. I know at 80mph, I experience a back and forth steering wheel annoyance - slight (like a tire is out of balance - But not on all road surfaces). Haven't got an answer yet.
I'm getting that slight oscillation (shimmy) in the wheel too. Happens between 65-75 mph. Salesman said prior to delivery during PDI that the front wheels had been rebalanced due to slight vibration. Looks like that didn't take too well. I plan on going back at 1000 miles and have them check again. Have you been back to the dealer yet?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
MattSaint said:
MLC,

I'll hook up with you for some comparisons. I have only seen one other GTO a black one like yours, I thought that it might have been you, but it had Mass tags on it.

~MattS
Matt,

How about this weekend? I think your in the Nashua area. I'm east over near Plaistow. When you go to NED you go right by my neighborhood.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
noticeable.
Same here. My M6 (S/N 211XXX; December build date) has the all-important Yellow X on the engine block. The shifter throbs steadily and gently, but with no discernible movement. My experience with modern manuals is very limited. My daughter's '93 Mazda 626 M5 (if you call that "modern"), traded two months ago, had none. One inch play can't be normal. Something has to be loose. :confused:

·
Registered
430 Posts
johmol said:
I get the steering wheel shimmy too, but not all the time. I think it has to do with some road surfaces. After I get some more miles on it, if it still does it, I will take it in and have them check the balance, etc.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
johmol said:

My steering wheel will vibrate like that excessivley for about the first 10 minutes of driving and then goes away. I have yet to figure out why.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
My steering wheel will vibrate like that excessivley for about the first 10 minutes of driving and then goes away. I have yet to figure out why.
By any chance is the car vibrating but you only notice it in the steering wheel? I ask because I get a vibration but it's from the tires. A flat spot that developes overnight. I know some don't believe that tires develope flat spots but I'm sure these tires do. It goes away after driving for about 10 minutes.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Blitzu said:
Hmmmm flat spots you say? Think this could occur after only sitting for 9-10 hours? Because that is the usual amount of time the car will sit when I do feel the vibrations. Makes sense though.

I would say it might not be there for a full ten minutes but at least for a few minutes ....usually after it sat all night. I have not noticed this after driving around and going places with the car sitting 3-4 hrs at some stops. It could be the whole car, I only notice the steering wheel.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The flat spot for me could be right because mine can sit for a couple of days between drives.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
mine vibrates some as well. i dont mind it. reminds me that i am driving a car with POWER. also i noticed that when i am sitting in neutral and i rev it the stick pulls itself to the right some. thought that was interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts