LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, let me see if I can summarize the current shifter situation after using much :search:-fu on the board tonight...

STOCK
PRO: Free
CON: Frequent missed shifts, sloppy, some break

HARROP:
PRO: Shorter than stock, quasi-factory part
CON: Pricey for what it is, not that much better than stock

B&M
PRO: Simple shifter; less expensive and more quiet than some options
CON: Some leak around the trans mount, some handle breakage, be careful what version you get

HURST
PRO: Name, look, good short throw
CON: Some early failures (fixed?), noisier than expected for a remote unit, using the stock shift knob requires extra parts

GMM
PRO: Great shift quality; "street" version retains shaft damping to reduce noise somewhat
CON: Handle bolts back off / fail, rattles, "race" version can have substantial gear whine in some installs

BILLET
PRO: Adjustable, strong as an ox, remote mount so more quiet
CON: Expensive, some rattling, no product support in USA

Did I miss any other M6 shifter choices?

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
you missed Billet rattles problems. there's also the JHP HSV Style Shorter Shifter that is discontinued but may still be available

·
Administrator
20,805 Posts
B&M breaks the most, like breaks in half kinda stuff.

·
Administrator
9,525 Posts
The B&M is NOT a remote shifter, it is a direct shifter similar in concept (but not execution) to the GMM. Also regardless of version the B&M's weak point is the shaft inside the transmission, right above the ball where it narrows. That is where they often break leaving you unable to shift.
As mentioned the Billet has been reported to have some rattle issues so it can't be billed as "quiet".
The GMM is available in two versions, "race" and "street", the difference being the lever. The race version uses a solid metal lever which tends to transmit noise and vibration from the drivetrain into the cabin, while the street uses an adapter that retains the stock lever with its rubber damper section, greatly reducing NVH. Both versions use the same shifter base so the shifting action is the same, with the street version having a slightly less direct feel (although still a huge improvement over the stock POS).
The JHP short shifter mentioned is a factory part that is a much shorter version of the OEM lever and also incorporates a rubber damper section.

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The B&M is NOT a remote shifter, it is a direct shifter similar in concept (but not execution) to the GMM. Also regardless of version the B&M's weak point is the shaft inside the transmission, right above the ball where it narrows. That is where they often break leaving you unable to shift.
As mentioned the Billet has been reported to have some rattle issues so it can't be billed as "quiet".
The GMM is available in two versions, "race" and "street", the difference being the lever. The race version uses a solid metal lever which tends to transmit noise and vibration from the drivetrain into the cabin, while the street uses an adapter that retains the stock lever with its rubber damper section, greatly reducing NVH. Both versions use the same shifter base so the shifting action is the same, with the street version having a slightly less direct feel (although still a huge improvement over the stock POS).
The JHP short shifter mentioned is a factory part that is a much shorter version of the OEM lever and also incorporates a rubber damper section.
My cut and paste fail on the B&M "remote" thing - fixed momentarily.

I'll add a bit on the two versions of the GMM.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
You missed the GMM w/ the Hurst handle kit that SNL offers. I love it.

·
I got nothin!!!
1,613 Posts
you missed Lou's short shifter
redham's do it your self shifter shortening

·
ChimChim is in the HD's trunk
4,966 Posts

·
450+rwhp club :D
2,842 Posts
LSS + Stock is actually pretty decent and can be had for cheap. I have no real complaints and I've tried other's cars with different shifters. They all feel really tall compared to mine.

·
Default Title
781 Posts
How about adding the price of each shifter to the list .. better than just saying "hey this one is pretty expensive" :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
I got B&M and no trouble here. works great

·
Registered
119 Posts
looking to buy a shifter myself and i've had a couple questions/comments. i really like the look of the billet but as far as i can see none of their us distributors sell it anymore. also, i saw something about the rattle issues being resolved. are they?

·
Default Title
781 Posts
I ordered a Billet a few days ago directly from Billet Products. They charged around $430 (US). So (assuming it actually gets here!) lack of US distributor is not an obstacle. They mentioned it takes 5-7 working days to arrive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I ordered a Billet a few days ago directly from Billet Products. They charged around $430 (US). So (assuming it actually gets here!) lack of US distributor is not an obstacle. They mentioned it takes 5-7 working days to arrive.
thanx, i'll look into that.

·
The Spot Is Evil
205 Posts
GMM street with Lss stick and stock knob. Had it for almost three years and haven't had any issues.:gears:

·
Stands Alone
1,609 Posts
see...i think those hurst shifters look hideous. they belong in like a 69 camaro....not a GTO, think they'd produce something a little more modern dayish looking...i'll go with something that matches the car. thats just me though.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts