LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Default Title
781 Posts
Billet shifter showed up today, it was shipped on the 7th. Six calendar days, not too bad!

·
Registered
291 Posts
My buddy has a Billet and I have a GMM RAce. I'll take the GMM Race anyday. Never missed a gear. The throws with the Billet almost seem too short IMO.

·
LS2 Fast
1,726 Posts
I have the hurst and it is solid as it gets... basically no rattle and I like the looks... struggle sometimes grabbing third but i think that is my fault haha...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stock(sloppy), then went B&M (always leaked then broke), then Hurst with stock knob(noisy, reverse was out in right field, entire pattern seemed very wide, more positive than the B&M), now Billet. Billet is expensive, and requires more effort to install but well worth it. Was stiff at first then loosened. Adjustable throw(shaft has 3 mounting positions). I started with middle then went to shortest throw. Never missed a shift cause of the shifter. Never tried the GMM but I rate the Billet well above the others I have had in my goat.

·
What my son calls it...
255 Posts
whats quieter, billet or gmm or are they about the same, or matter of opinion???

·
Administrator
9,525 Posts
whats quieter, billet or gmm or are they about the same, or matter of opinion???
If noise is a primary concern, the GMM street version is probably your best choice. This option retains the factory lever which incorporates a rubber center section for noise/NVH isolation and damping. All of the other shifter options do away with this damper thus allowing more NVH into the cabin. In some cases the noise can be quite loud, it varies between shifters and also depends on your particular transmission as some are inherently more noisy than others. There have been people who installed the GMM race version, which is basically a metal rod right into the transmission, and reported minimal noise. Others with the same shifter stated the noise was unbearable and some even swapped the lever for the street option.
There have been some noise issues reported with the Billet as well, mostly rattle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm going LSS first, see how I like it, then GMM down the road (if the LSS isn't to my liking...) Sounds like LSS+GMM is a good combo anyway. (I haven't read any complaints yet).

One things for sure, I can't stand the rubbery mess that's in there right now! My 94 Z28 w/B&M RipShift was bliss in comparison...

·
2006 Qkslvr/M6/18 1 of 412
443 Posts
Stock(sloppy), then went B&M (always leaked then broke), then Hurst with stock knob(noisy, reverse was out in right field, entire pattern seemed very wide, more positive than the B&M), now Billet. Billet is expensive, and requires more effort to install but well worth it. Was stiff at first then loosened. Adjustable throw(shaft has 3 mounting positions). I started with middle then went to shortest throw. Never missed a shift cause of the shifter. Never tried the GMM but I rate the Billet well above the others I have had in my goat.
I love the Billet, but I think the break in period should be listed as a con. It took me at least 500 miles before I saw a hint of loosening. And it was exceptionally tight. I drove it exclusively for a week, than drove another car with a stock manual and almost ripped the shifter right out of the transmission...lol.

I've had no rattles, but there is NVH. Kind of like a whooshing or sucking noise.

But I would definitely buy the Billet again.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Harrop (I believe) has changed few things. We've recently installed one of these and I fell in love! No rattles, positive engagement, and shorter than stock! The only thing I do not like about this unit is that it actually raises the overall height of the shifter handle by .250".

We will be installing one of these with a Lou's Short Stick, I think with these two you can't go wrong and we'll be selling them as a package very soon!

·
Say Ya To The UP Eh
50 Posts
GMM race with Cobra Bob's t-56 gasket kit. Only time you hear the gears churning is when the radio is off and even then only with the windows up. Rear end with the diff insert is louder than the shifter anyways.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
You just need a 3" exhaust to cover up all that noise. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
pro for Billet that was missed 3 different height setting

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have never used a short throw shift, so I am not familiar with it. But tell me this, is the benefit a quicker response, less of a chance to miss the a throw, what exactly is the main benefit?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts