LS1GTO Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
people are lazy and use it for short throw.

·
formerly Farsighted770
1,692 Posts
in almost every shifter thread i say the same thing I LOVED MY GMM/LSS combo!!! it was a lil noisy so i threw some extra insulation around it and it was perfect, i NEVER and let me repeat that NEVER missed a shift, the straight gate third was PERFERCT for dragging and the position of the combo was perfect for round town driving as well.. the pommell/shifter felt just right exactly where it was... i've driven f-bodies and vettes and even :shudders: mustangs and i have never found one i liked better.

my money is on that combo for THE BEST!!!! :D

hope this helps

:cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have the LSS, and i bought the hurst T handle and paired them up. nobody that drives the car likes it but me. but then again i never miss any shifts with it.

·
Unknownporker
24 Posts
Using the stock shifter, I have numerous times missed the gate up into third, and trying to get into reverse seems futile, unless I get pissed off, then row each gate from first all the way to sixth, THEN Reverse feels wide open to get to.
What aftermarket shifter ensures an open gate to third, and emilinates this Reverse search crap?
I like the feel of the stock shifter handle, yet yearn for the looks of the Hurst classy White ball.
I can see the need for a shorter throw between gears, but if it's hard to find third, when you torque the Transmission accelerating (I seem to do fine finding third in light acceleration), how could a shorter throw be easier?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
You need a GMM shifter with the Hurst adapter. Then you can have the classy white Hurst ball, shorter shifts, and a much better chance of hitting third. Reverse is a whole other ball of wax. Generally, the harder shifts are due to clutch or more commonly hydraulic problems.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
just ordered my LSS, i all ready have a gmm race set up, but i like the shorter throw shifter, and the race handle is just to loud in the car for me!!! my .02

·
Registered
120 Posts
If noise is a primary concern, the GMM street version is probably your best choice. This option retains the factory lever which incorporates a rubber center section for noise/NVH isolation and damping. All of the other shifter options do away with this damper thus allowing more NVH into the cabin. In some cases the noise can be quite loud, it varies between shifters and also depends on your particular transmission as some are inherently more noisy than others. There have been people who installed the GMM race version, which is basically a metal rod right into the transmission, and reported minimal noise. Others with the same shifter stated the noise was unbearable and some even swapped the lever for the street option.
There have been some noise issues reported with the Billet as well, mostly rattle.
Good point you make Fox. I'll add that a shifter base gasket will help with isolating the noise that travels into the cabin. Like you said, the amount of noise that travels into the cabin varies from car to car. A base gasket does a better job with noise isolation that even the build in grommet on the GMM. Pretty much all billet shifters unfortunately by their construction allow more noise into the cabin than non-billet shifters. But fortunately there are ways to reduce the noise, and in many cases all but eliminate it.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
I've posted it before but anybody doing the GMM race needs to reuse and install the black boot. The instructions say it's optional and to cut it but all you really need to do is push it down over the round base of the GMM and use a hose clamp to hold it securely there. It will dampen out most all vibration and the only thing extra you have to buy is the hose clamp.

·
Tu stultus es
27,112 Posts
What does the LSS alone gain you?

·
87 Gn, 06 Gto, 07 Rl
231 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Harrop (I believe) has changed few things. We've recently installed one of these and I fell in love! No rattles, positive engagement, and shorter than stock! The only thing I do not like about this unit is that it actually raises the overall height of the shifter handle by .250".

We will be installing one of these with a Lou's Short Stick, I think with these two you can't go wrong and we'll be selling them as a package very soon!
I just installed this package (Harrop + LSS) with Cobra Bob gaskets, and I am very pleased. Short throws, smooth action, positive engagement. I did get a little rattle at WOT in 3rd gear, but I suspect that I just need to redo the silicone adhesive in the knob, as I didn't use any during reassembly.
Overall very happy, and a very good price and service from SNL!! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Ok, can someone make a suggestion for me? I really just started reading up on shifters and I know from an inside source, I will be getting one for my birthday in 2 weeks :)

My 05 GTO is a weekend driver, nice summer day driver (I have a winter beater). If it matters, I have Kooks longtubes, catted mids, corsa catback and Lingenfelter CAI. The shifter I have coming is a GMM Ripshift Street version. Aside from the product description on the JHP website, can I have some real world experiences about either one?

What is my safest bet? GMM street, LSS and Cobra Bob gasket? Should the LSS be straight or angled?

·
GOATFEST 9 COMING SOON!!!
2,567 Posts
Love my GMM Street and Im considering getting the LSS. Grade 8 or grade 10 bolts are needed with some good nylon locking nuts, lock washers and red loctite. Once you get the base on really good with good hardware it stops loosening up over time.

I put crappy grade 6 bolts on the first time and they only last for a few months before it became loose and I had to tighten it back up. I did that a few times until one time when it became so bad it felt like the stock shifter again. Went and grabbed some good hardware and red loctite. Not a problem since then, its very solid and smooth as butter to shift... takes very little pressure to shift and its so nice to just push it forward with one or two fingers into 3rd without missing it.

I also have a tick master, ss clutch and bleed line that really makes shifting smooth and easy. It really helps out when high rpm shifting and with the bleeder line you can really maintain a smooth shifting setup all the time.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
How does the GMM with the LSS throw compare to the billet pro?

I want some thing I can power shift from 2 - 3 and feel confident every time.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Shall the MGW-P (sponsored :)) be added?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I did the gmm with the hurst shaft and hurst ball conversion and stang gaskets-feel like the gaskets could b a little thicker

·
1988 Pontiac Mera
52 Posts
Happy w/Billet

How does the GMM with the LSS throw compare to the billet pro?

I want some thing I can power shift from 2 - 3 and feel confident every time.
I've had my Billet Pro installed for almost 2 weeks now. It's loosening up very nicely, and getting it into reverse is no harder than the stock shifter. (I think the new shifters have been moded to make this easier)

The 2nd to 3rd shift is a no brainer, just push straight forward, the spring loading does the rest.

BTW, there are 3 options for the height of the handle, I used the middle one. I should have done the shortest setting, now that I'm used to the shifter.

They are now $537 delivered, from JHP in OZ. It took 4 days from ordering it to when it was delivered; Dec 23rd to Dec 27th via DHL.... Melborne to L.A., L.A. to Cincinatti, and finally Cincinatti to Phoenix. Note this was over Christmas day!

I noticed out on the highway crusing in 6th at 77-78 mph, I hear a very slight vibration from the shifter. No problem, just go faster!

·
Tu stultus es
27,112 Posts
41 - 60 of 64 Posts