LS1GTO Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Just to add some feedback
JHP sells both the BIllet Pro shifter and the GMM Rip shifter (street or race) for the GTOs and Monaros and both are a massive improvement over the stock shifter... The feedback on both shifters even years after the install is Fantastic. As the cost, the install, the shorter, quicker shift and never miss 3rd gear are similar and both are shipped from Australia.... Which one do you choose?
At JHP we usually pick the best product for the application and then suggest this to our customers. It really is line ball and a couple of the JHP staff that drive stick shift Monaros (GTO) have had this same discussion. The GMM Rip street shifter won because of less moving parts, ease to rebuild and direct gear box (no linkage).

http://www.jhpss.com/Pontiac-GTO/ShortShifters.htm

·
Registered
250 Posts
Lingenfelter "New style?" Harrop short throw shifter using Shifter detent washers and Poly insulator cup

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
2004 5.7 ls1 functioning ram air hood cold air intake manual t-56 1998 GM Bright Purple Metta
14 Posts
So, let me see if I can summarize the current shifter situation after using much :search:-fu on the board tonight...

STOCK
PRO: Free
CON: Frequent missed shifts, sloppy, some break

HARROP:
PRO: Shorter than stock, quasi-factory part
CON: Pricey for what it is, not that much better than stock

B&M
PRO: Simple shifter; less expensive and more quiet than some options
CON: Some leak around the trans mount, some handle breakage, be careful what version you get

HURST
PRO: Name, look, good short throw
CON: Some early failures (fixed?), noisier than expected for a remote unit, using the stock shift knob requires extra parts

GMM
PRO: Great shift quality; "street" version retains shaft damping to reduce noise somewhat
CON: Handle bolts back off / fail, rattles, "race" version can have substantial gear whine in some installs

BILLET
PRO: Adjustable, strong as an ox, remote mount so more quiet
CON: Expensive, some rattling, no product support in USA

Did I miss any other M6 shifter choices?
i have a hurst in my 04 any idea what the model name might be as it was in car when i bought

61 - 64 of 64 Posts