LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a chance to see the Pontiac Enthusiast mags Mach 1 vs. GTO article. Interesting read. Pretty well done. But on the ET times for the Mach I have to wonder...was the parking brake on during your runs? I couldnt get mine to run into the 14's when I missed third! I am disappointed when I turned anything above a 13.50.

I think the GTO will fare far better also. Wish they could have run the GTO 6 speed instead of the auto. Looks like we will have the top dogs of the non blower American coupes.

I am sure we will be seeing some real GTO ET times posted on here soon! :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
There was a thread about this already.

The GTO was found to be running around with a Holden programmed PCM and it then suffered from enormous amounts of torque management.

Torque management is the what the PCM uses to reduce power during shifts to "increase longevity" of the transmission. It accomplishes this by backing off timing for a specified length of time. It used by GM on automatic transmission equipped cars and can vary from car to car in the severity of it's influence. Alot of that is based on overall timing advance as to how drastic it cuts in.

There have been LS1 F-Body's that set all their torque management tables to "0" retard and "0" time and have knocked off nearly a half second in the quarter mile from this alone.

So put a healthy PCM that keeps TM in check (or better yet, remove the TM completely by adjusting those tables) and that GTO would've been deep into the 13's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts