LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for all the F Body boys

I am debating whether or not to change the MAF at the same time as I put on my LS1 Speed inducion set up. Since I have an A4 - I want ot be careful. I have read elsewhere that the descreening on a stock unit and/or using ported ends may cause a problem with the A4.

The unit I am looking at is the Granatelli one that has a programmed chip on it. When you go to their site - they have a listing for the GTO already.

Eventually - I also want to get the diablo programmer and install LS6 Heads & Cam once the autocross parts are okayed by GM

My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone seen or heard of a problem with the A4 using a new MAF?

2) As respect this unit - can I really expect that more real world horsepower before going onto new heads & cam? Their claims are 10-20hp if I remember correctly.

I emailed Granatelli also with the question - but would feel more comforable with this groups opinion.

I guess the promise to the wife not to mod it out - is out the door. :bubbrub

Thanks

Steve

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I’m against changing the MAF personally. The factory unit is more than sufficient up to about 550 – 600hp airflow wise. Calibration is a matter of subjectiveness. Some cars respond to them, many do not. The PCM will learn/adapt to the MAF and it’s readings, for the most part. But chances are you may lean it out too much, which may generate uneccesary knock retard (which will retard timing and reduce power) and of course may generate a “O2 sensor slow response” or “below threshold” code illuminating your SES light on the dash.

Most who see power gains are those who install them and notice it right away from it leaning out the mixture. Once the PCM adapts, it goes right back to pretty much where it was with your stock unit.

For what it’s worth, my heads and cammed motor in the Camaro uses the stock MAF specifically.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CMNTMXR57 - thanks for the input - this what I was looking for. As we all know the vendors make claims that may not hold up in the real world - that is why I was looking to see what you guys thought, since you have already been through the process. Why spend money on something that could be better used elsewhere and get real/substainable gains.

As an aside - do you know what the casting number on the block in the front on the passenger side is - I have VF031711536? I haven't been able to get the car up on a rack to see the number in the back of the block to see if it is a LS1 or LS6 yet.

Steve

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
No problem. Some do work, most don’t though. So don’t let me sour your opinion of them. Also each car responds slightly differently. I know a few people who are ecstatic with their GMS or ZO6 MAF’s. But most I find when I talk to people at dyno days and at general get togethers, mod sessions, etc, is that they were unhappy with them.

And yes, the manufacturers will boast.

I do not know what that number is, I noticed it on mine too. I wonder if that’s an assembly sequence number or casting number or something along those lines.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
It didn't look like a casting number though - it appeared etched. I'll check mine later and see if it's the same number or different.
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yea, they're like little pin dots.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Mine is VF032170635 so it must be some sort of sequential-type build number.
Dan

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
spend your money elsewhere.

CAI and exhaust ( headers, cats, catback) IMO is a better cost effective upgrade, especially the headers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MAF ported ends

rushhour said:
Quick question for all the F Body boys

I am debating whether or not to change the MAF at the same time as I put on my LS1 Speed inducion set up. Since I have an A4 - I want ot be careful. I have read elsewhere that the descreening on a stock unit and/or using ported ends may cause a problem with the A4.
I installed the setup you are talking about 2 days ago. I put on the speed inc. induction kit with ported MAF ends. The first hard run and the SES light is now lite. I live in the Chicago area, so I stopped by Speed Inc. and they told me to put the screened stock ends back on. The MAF sensor can't make accurate readings with the increased airflow caused by the new ends. The lean condition will turn the SES light on. I'll be changing it out tonight.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
. . . The PCM will learn/adapt to the MAF and it’s readings. . .
I have re-installed my Tbyrne Motorsports MAF ends because I want any gain I can get. If, however, the PCM will adjust out the changes, will I end up with NO gain? Could I use my HP Tuner software to "force" the PCM to recognize the MAF ends?

·
Banned
12,011 Posts
FLORIT said:
I have re-installed my Tbyrne Motorsports MAF ends because I want any gain I can get. If, however, the PCM will adjust out the changes, will I end up with NO gain? Could I use my HP Tuner software to "force" the PCM to recognize the MAF ends?
I will be interested in your results. I put on some red billet MAF ends, thought the runner delete compared to the stock ends would increase air volume, but ended up getting the dreaded CEL. Trying resetting the PCM for a relearn, but no luck. A scan by the parts store gave me a P0101 code, said it was MAF related.

I took them off and light has been off ever since. That was $110 wasted, at this point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts