LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Torque is King!
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for everybody.

I have been in contact with JHP in Australia. I want to know if anybody agrees with the below statement from a salesperson at JHP. The part in question is supposed to be an HSV part. It does look nice if you check it out on their website. The cost does seem high to me though. How do you think this compares with the other intakes that are out there? All of the high end HSV cars use a stock air box, so I see no reason to take mine out.

Hello Ryan
Yes the HSV MAF pipe is just a piece of plastic with a rubber flex hose
adaptor but it's the best on the marked for fit, performance and durability.
It was tested in a Commodore/Monaro performance magazine and came up on top
of the rest, in 6 weeks we will have this part some what cheaper, maybe
around $90 USD.

ciao

Geoff Thuring

JHP Vehicle Enhancements
Ph: +61 3 9877 0888
Fax: +61 3 9877 0878
Web Site: www.jhp.com.au

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
yes, it sounds like the piece that Capa is selling for $119 US. talk to desergoat, hes got this pipe.

·
Torque is King!
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JHP is claiming 5kw increase in power just by using this pipe. Roughly 7-8 horsepower Does that sound right?

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Buy it for the right reasons

If you are going to replace the stock pipe, buy the new MAF pipe for the right reasons.

I am very skeptical about supposed horsepower improvement claims. I am replacing mine because I view the stock accordion pipe with a very skewed and doubtful perspective. Have you looked at it closely? See where it tapers into the folds and becomes an accordion? I believe that under WOT, the LS1 creates a negative pressure effect trying to suck air from our restrictive airboxes that the stock pipe literally collapses from all the pressure. Try sucking your Diet Coke through a plastic straw that has the accordion bend and then pinch this portion. There won't be any soda reaching your mouth.

I am buying the MAF smooth plastic pipe from CAPA because the diameter of the tube is constant throughout with no soft bends in the middle, and the fact it is made of plastic and not aluminum or steel means you don't have to worry about the heat soak effect. For $119 US you can't beat the price. I absolutely abhor the GM accordion pipes they install in their vehicles.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
That is a good looking pipe at a good price. The stock pipe is restrictive(included with the car). The CS Preformance pipe is Expensive ($168ish) but looks sweet. The Speed Inc pipe looks good and flows well ($179ish w/ filter). I have been happy with my Speed Inc pipe. I will be trying the CS pipe when I get my hands on it and a good filter for the stock box. Then once I decide which works best I'll sell the other. It will take a dyno-day to decide and CS will have to add HP before I switch from SI's pipe/ filter. I promised myself that I would not do "Show" Mods w/ out "Go" to back it up.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
sxty8goats said:
That is a good looking pipe at a good price. The stock pipe is restrictive(included with the car). The CS Preformance pipe is Expensive ($168ish) but looks sweet. The Speed Inc pipe looks good and flows well ($179ish w/ filter). I have been happy with my Speed Inc pipe. I will be trying the CS pipe when I get my hands on it and a good filter for the stock box. Then once I decide which works best I'll sell the other. It will take a dyno-day to decide and CS will have to add HP before I switch from SI's pipe/ filter. I promised myself that I would not do "Show" Mods w/ out "Go" to back it up.
The only problem with the Speed Inc "CAI" pipe is that it cannot be used with the stock airbox, at least not without some work, as has been described on various posts around these boards. The CS Perf and HSV pipes both go on with the stock airbox.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
phobos512 said:
The only problem with the Speed Inc "CAI" pipe is that it cannot be used with the stock airbox, at least not without some work, as has been described on various posts around these boards. The CS Perf and HSV pipes both go on with the stock airbox.
actually, you can leave the bottom half of the stock air box in place, under the Speed inc setup filter. this is what 68's set up looks like, maybe he will be nice and post a pic if you ask him nicely.

leaving the bottom half of the stock box in probably doesn't do much, but im gonna try the next time i get a chance. i dont think its gonna help or hurt much.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
Take a look at my garage - you will see the CAPA HSV GTS Pipe installed on the car. If you are keeping the stock airbox - it is a great unit. You need to make sure that they ship you the grommet for the IAT sensor.

If you want an open element filter the LS1Speed pipe is a good unit.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
actually, you can leave the bottom half of the stock air box in place, under the Speed inc setup filter. this is what 68's set up looks like, maybe he will be nice and post a pic if you ask him nicely.

leaving the bottom half of the stock box in probably doesn't do much, but im gonna try the next time i get a chance. i dont think its gonna help or hurt much.
What I meant was, the Speed Inc pipe doesn't easily mate to the stock airbox in 100% complete form as the HSV pipe and stock pipe do.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
phobos512 said:
What I meant was, the Speed Inc pipe doesn't easily mate to the stock airbox in 100% complete form as the HSV pipe and stock pipe do.
oh, ok, sorry. can't help ya there :)

·
Torque is King!
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rushhour,

Why is there no rubber gromet for the connection to the throttle body? How do you feel about the connection there? And by the way what does IAT stand for?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:

I don't think leaving the stock box in place does anything other than support the filter. I intend on removing it and fabracating a bracket to suppport that end. On of these days I'll get off my lazy butt and build a air box/ heat sheild.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Actually, leaving the stock bottom in there is hurting you. You're covering that big hole that feeds cool air from under the car.

Guys, it's a tube! As long as it's large enough, curved smoothly into the TB, they all will net you roughly the same gain regardless of who's tube it is.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
redgtocruiser said:
JHP is claiming 5kw increase in power just by using this pipe. Roughly 7-8 horsepower Does that sound right?
LS1Speed posted Dyno results with and witout their tube and it showed 10-15 HP gain.
:drink::drink:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Actually, leaving the stock bottom in there is hurting you. You're covering that big hole that feeds cool air from under the car.

Guys, it's a tube! As long as it's large enough, curved smoothly into the TB, they all will net you roughly the same gain regardless of who's tube it is.
The holes may allow air in or they may not. If there is a box around them and they are the only source of air, then yes they will allow cool air to be drawn in. But with no box it is likely as not that the air pressure in the engine compartment forces air out through those holes.

As far as I can see, the air coming in through the radiator is from a higher pressure zone than the air in the wheel well. Also the volume of air entering through the radiator is much greater. Both these assumptions lead me to belive that if air is flowing through the 2 relatively small holes below the air box location in an open engine compartment, it is hot air flowing out.

(And it is a magic tube made by elves. It produces boost you know :) )

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I used that hole to test IAT's, there is definetely air coming in there.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Good to know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts