LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what would be the best aftermarket MAF to buy?
I ordered a

Granatelli Mass Airflow Sensor: 2004 Pontiac GTO; Black w/Cold Air Tuning

but just found out the place i ordered it from is out of stock.

Thanks

·
3,327 Posts
That looks a little cheap, IMHO. Of course 3 months ago I had no idea what a MAF was.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I think if you do some searching on this site, you will find that the more experienced LS1 guys recommend against changing the MAF. The stock unit can handle a good deal more airflow than a non-stroked motor will ever need. Additionally, the change in SOP feel with a MAF swap will dissipate once the ECM re-learns it. There seems to be some opinions that the GTO does not need the "leaning out" effect of the Granatelli as did certain earlier LS1's. A good round with LS1edit or HPtuner will probably accomplish more. For definitive opinions, give LS1tech.com a whirl.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh wow thanks Mike I had no clue, I will hold off on that for sure then and put the money towards something more beneficial. Thats why I love this site, it really helps out a novice guy like me.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
I put a Z06 mass airflow in mine with a wiring adapter, the kit came from Pace and wasn't expensive. It's bigger and flows more air and is a GM factory part.

Just because a MAF flows enough air to make a certain maximum amount of horsepower does not indicate that it won't flow more air for the same application. Meaning, even though it's good for 500hp and beyond does not mean that more airflow isn't better for any engine.

This is my fourth LS1 car that I've modified and the Z06 MAF has always shown a small gain in RWHP for me even after the computer has learned the new airflow readings. I do recommend this MAF but I can not give a recommendation on any others because I haven't tried them.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
To be honest, I think they are a waste of $$. Especially when you can port on polish your own. Now I know some are larger and flow more CFM, but if you port and polish your MAF just the way you do it here, www.installuniversity.com , you will most likely see the same results. The big bonus to this, is that its FREE. :D Just have to be CAREFUL not to touch the sensors. :slap:

BTW...once you get to the website( www.installuniversity.com ) click "install documents" on the left column. Then on the next page there will be a list of items, click "!MAF: Porting the Mass-Air-Flow Housing" under "Air Induction" This gives you great step by step intructions with pics as well.

Hope this helps! This is just my $0.02 :drink:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think the Z06 MAF is the way to go. I haven't heard all that many great things about the Granatelli MAF for the money.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I have the Speed Inc. High Flow Induction kit installed, using the stock MAF. I have taken the filter off a couple of times to check the screen on the stock MAF and I have noticed some kind of "debris" passed by the filter and caught by the screen.

The filter is relatively new and I understand they do a better job when they get dirtier. But seeing those particles caught by the screen made me glad I had the stock MAF, and I doubt any performance gain you get by changing the MAF would be worth the extra dollars.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
This is a hit or miss issue. AS with any mod of course. However, MAF's and larger TB's have a 50/50 success/failure rate.

The stock MAF is actually a pretty well tuned device from GM. It's quick to adapt and learn and can pretty much supply the needs of pretty much anything you have done to it. The ZO6 MAF is what I would consider also A "stock" MAF as it is a GM MAF. Hence, the success with it. Others like GMS's I wouldn't waste cash on.

For what it's worth, if you don't think the stock MAF is good enough, talk to many power adder owners such as myself (heads and cam, stroker, blower/nitrous) and most you will see retain the stock MAF. I'm running a stock MAF on my built LS1 in the Camaro (which has surpassed the 400rwhp mark)! It has yet to outflow the needs of the LS6 intake and stock TB and is actually better for tuning with such programs as LS1Edit.

People get all wrapped up in one number...how much it flows over another and that isn't the sole measuring point. More airflow means it'll run it leaner temporarily which is where the power gain is seen (and qouted by the makers) but after the PCM learns and adapts for it, power returns to virtually the same levels it was with the stocker.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
...after the PCM learns and adapts for it, power returns to virtually the same levels it was with the stocker.
MAF Translator will fix this problem right up though won't it?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
A little, but it's one more thing you have to buy and mess with!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts