LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ex 350 Z owner
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a Granatelli MAF(GRN-350129-C) and after going through 16 pages at 500 post,I have read where members said dont buy it.But they give no definitive reason why,just that it will cause more problems than what its worth,just remove the screen on the stocker,and various other reasons with nothing to back it up.So,tell me what is the true difinitive answer.If you need to know my mods they are in my sig,just looking for a little more oomph without going overboard $.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
You already have an 85MM MAF so what does the GRN-350129-C provide that's different.

Have you seen the LPE 100MM MAF
http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/lpe-4231_lpe-4232.html

The stock MAF is good to 500HP and I don't see any modifications in your sig that would reflect it.

Also aftermarket MAFs can be a real pain to dial in. My tuner said he would only tune with a LS6 MAF on my car because he can just take the data from an LS6 and overlay it onto my PCM and tune from there.

·
Ex 350 Z owner
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Lingenfelter MAF needs an HPTuner,once again you are telling me aftermarket MAFs are a pain to tune with nothing to back it up.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
If you think the MAF is a restriction...go MAFless. A tune is a must...but it is with an aftermarket MAF too.

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
Don't waste your money. As stated above the LS2 MAF is already 85MM. If anything go MAFless with a sd tune...

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
There's no MAF better than no MAF.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts

·
Ex 350 Z owner
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No difinitive answer yet,just more conjecture.

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
redrocketgto said:
It's a waste of money...period. I did an aftermarket MAF and it was nothing but a big pain in the ass tuning wise. Listen to the fine folks here and save your money....:damnyou:

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
How are we supposed to prove it?

I did it in the past like many others and found no gain and my LTFT's would not come back in line even after a tune.

If you want proof buy one and see if you make anymore HP/TQ. Make sure you get the AF checked as well. Make sure your tuner will be ok with it.

·
Ex 350 Z owner
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not asking just to piss someone off,nor am I hell bent on the MAF.I am just asking why some have no problem and others say dont buy it.Is the problem with trying to tune after the MAF install or is it with the MAF straight out the box?

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
redrocketgto said:
Is the problem with trying to tune after the MAF install or is it with the MAF straight out the box?
Both...

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
redrocketgto said:
OK most aftermarket mafs cannot be tuned. If using a bone stock car, they are fine. As soon as you need to tune, you are done. No conjecture, no hearsay. Have seen it myself. I went with the Z06 maf for the same reason, cuz the aftermarkets cannot me tuned. THe LS2 Maf is a Z06 maf with the screen installed. Actaul Maf used ont he Z06 is screenless. Its 85mm. The Granatelli is 85 mm. You wouldnt gain a thing anyways due to identical sizing. Does that help?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
In order to tune the MAF table properly, the car must first be tuned in SD mode. It's a big PITA, and the best you can hope for is that the performance doesn't suffer after the MAF is added back in. Herein lies the dilemma: Very few people want to go back to a MAF after experiencing the car without it.

·
Ex 350 Z owner
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thaks guys,I just want to know the whys and why nots.So I take it I should look at the Z06 MAF?

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
redrocketgto said:
Thaks guys,I just want to know the whys and why nots.So I take it I should look at the Z06 MAF?
Keep your stock MAF or go MAFless...

Baaaa went with a Z06 MAF because he is an LS1 and ours are 78MM....your LS2 MAF is already 85MM....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts