LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a video of the supercharger at idle. When it warms up, the chirping noise goes away. It may also be the belt. It's original to the supercharger when it was put on the car in 2008. I have put ~80,000 miles on the setup.

https://youtu.be/FRHo8F6OIQkk

·
Coco Conocido
782 Posts
That sounds like a bearing to me. You could squirt some water on the belt, if it silences it for a few seconds then maybe it's a belt squeak.

Regardless, if that supercharger has 80k on it, then it's 40k past rebuild time. There are some bearings in that rear case that typically go bad at 40k.

I would send it to magnacharger and let them rebuild it.

·
Coco Conocido
782 Posts
My understanding, and experience, is there there are some needle bearings in the back of the case that go out at about 40k, like clockwork.
Mine got about there and developed a sound coming from the back. More of a whirring noise, not a squeak. I sent it to Magnusson for a rebuild.

·
4,313 Posts
it's a double row, sealed tapered bearing in the rear. They are about $50 for a new one.
not a great choice for the application, that's why they wear out eventually. Once you exceed ~20K blower speed they will fail really rapidly (ask me how I know LOL). At stock blower speeds they do usually hold up for 40-60K miles.

NSK 5304TNG C3 is the part no. These can be hard to find...most likely need to call a real bearing industrial place.
You will have to disassemble the rear cover from the blower, and then press off the pulley. If you have access to a large press and some support plates, it is not hard to do. You have to support the pulley, and press the shaft/ cover assy out of it, so rigging up the supports is the issue. If that makes sense.

need 10-12 oz .of new supercharger oil to refill it.

Typically when doing this I would swap to 1:1 rear pulleys, or higher ratio if you want to get nuts and overdrive it.
the 1:1 rear and running a larger front pulley, helps with belt slip on the front

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
it's a double row, sealed tapered bearing in the rear. They are about $50 for a new one.
not a great choice for the application, that's why they wear out eventually. Once you exceed ~20K blower speed they will fail really rapidly (ask me how I know LOL). At stock blower speeds they do usually hold up for 40-60K miles.

NSK 5304TNG C3 is the part no. These can be hard to find...most likely need to call a real bearing industrial place.
You will have to disassemble the rear cover from the blower, and then press off the pulley. If you have access to a large press and some support plates, it is not hard to do. You have to support the pulley, and press the shaft/ cover assy out of it, so rigging up the supports is the issue. If that makes sense.

need 10-12 oz .of new supercharger oil to refill it.

Typically when doing this I would swap to 1:1 rear pulleys, or higher ratio if you want to get nuts and overdrive it.
the 1:1 rear and running a larger front pulley, helps with belt slip on the front

I always enjoy reading posts with actual facts based on actual experience.

Well said and hats off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What can I expect to pay for a rebuild?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I've had 2 Maggies and now a Whipple. The Whipple was a total Frankenmotor project. I had to have the bearings replaced this spring. Price of admission was $1600 with $300 of that being an overnight Saturday delivery.

I would imagine the Magnason to be around the same cost as they'll likely tear the whole thing down and do a complete refresh.

·
Coco Conocido
782 Posts
What can I expect to pay for a rebuild?
Magnusson charged me about $700 including shipping. They also put on a new carbon fiber shaft. That included a complete tear down and checking of all clearances. I think they may have replaced a bushing(?) cant remember. It was all on the receipt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts