LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
475 Horsepower
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I currently have my car in surgery for installing my Maggie and Devil's Own Alcohol inj. system. My question for all of you that have this type of setup is what type of bottle/container are you using other than the windshield washer tank. I want to continue to use my windshield washer fluid and have a tank for the meth located in the trunk. So what kind of options on tanks do I have in the 1-2 gallon range that can be secured and look good in the trunk as I currently have subs on the left side of the trunk and an AMP on the right side. I want to continue to utilize the spare tire in its original location.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Washer fuild is nothing more than water and methanol anyway, so why not use your washer tank for both? That's what I did. Other than that, you have to find a tank that suits your needs and space requirements best, no one else can answer that for you :). You may want to look towards fuel cells for Junior Dragsters- they make fairly small ones for them- but you have to see how much room you have and where you want to put it.
Joe

·
Exhausted Tuner
1,254 Posts
Keep in consideration the longer you are making your feed line the greater the likelyhood you will introduce bubbles and slow delivery rate into your equation. The bottle should stay near the engine compartment for consistency's sake.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Btlfed1500 said:
Keep in consideration the longer you are making your feed line the greater the likelyhood you will introduce bubbles and slow delivery rate into your equation. The bottle should stay near the engine compartment for consistency's sake.
Very good point, though many are having good luck with trunk mount tanks.
Joe

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts
My dad just ordered the Meth Injection kit from Summit for his Tyhpoon. Not sure exactly which one, but I know it does have a progressive controlled on it and uses your washer fluid resevoir.

Anyways he was told to run the Meth and Water at a 50/50 mix. Most windshield washer fluild is a 70/30 mix (I'm actually not sure which is more concentrated, probably the water). Just something to add into the equation.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The Methanol+Maggie rotors has been beaten to death and, according to those using it, causes no wear on the rotors. As someone else put it- "it instantly vaporizes" it does not "wet" the rotors down like your standpoint would be based on.

If you tune for 93 octane, race fuel, etc. you are hooked to that also :). It is not a big deal at all to just ensure the tank is full and go on your way. ?besides, if you set up your IAT and low octane tables accordingly, you'll be just fine even if the meth does run out or not function for some reason. With my car, the Alky always keeps my IAT's lower than 100*, so we modified the IAT tables to slowly pull timing from 100-110 or so just in case it does get up there and then aggressively pulled it from there up- no alky= high IAT's with the blower, so if the alky doesn't spray, the IAT's will jump and the timing will be pulled.

Hopefully, we won't have to worry about enough of it oxidizing to formaldehyde to be an issue- again, I think you are basing it on quantities greater than would be required for this application. I could be wrong though :).
Joe

·
475 Horsepower
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kwiktsi said:
Thanks Joe,

That was the perfect direction I was leaning towards looks like It should be a great fit in the trunk.

Btlfed1500 said:
Excellent point that I will take into consideration. My installer has been talking to Chance at Devil's and this is what was suggested as an option that I am seriously considering. If for some reason this doesn't work like I would like then I will see about relocating the Battery to the rear and putting a 1gal fuel cell in the place of where the Battery was.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
I was looking at Loboost APS pictures and they install a new windshield reservoir tank that I want to find.

This way I can keep my OEM almost 1 gallon reservoir.

I'm not getting into the whole Meth and Maggie thing.

Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
AnthonyP said:
Thanks Joe,

That was the perfect direction I was leaning towards looks like It should be a great fit in the trunk.

Excellent point that I will take into consideration. My installer has been talking to Chance at Devil's and this is what was suggested as an option that I am seriously considering. If for some reason this doesn't work like I would like then I will see about relocating the Battery to the rear and putting a 1gal fuel cell in the place of where the Battery was.

Glad I could help!! I was at a local race shop and saw them and was thinking about it for my car a few weeks back.

As for the air in the line idea- I have been thinking about it- I can't really see it being an issue unless it was sucking air from somewhere which is doubtful. There is a check valve up by the nozzle that will prevent siphoning and also drain back. I can see it possibly getting a small air pocket when it first activates due to some of it maybe draining back, but once it is flowing I don't see how it would get air bubbles in it. As for the flow/volume, that "shouldn't" be an issue either- the pump has a regulator on it, it will maintain a set pressure and it certainly has more than enough volume.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Oh yeah- and I think the cell would look much cleaner than a white coolant/washer bottle in the trunk or engine bay!! I am not one for personally putting any additional clutter in the engine bay, so for me, putting something in the engine bay to hold it would not be an option. I like clean and simple looking engine compartments which is why I used my washer bottle. Everything about my install is hidden- not because I am trying to hide anything- hell, the blower is right there :)- but because I didn't want hoses, wires, tank, pump, etc. all hanging around.
Joe

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
lanceygto said:
I most respectfully disagree as far as Methanol effects on the acrylic coating is concerned.
Do you think it is "wet" enough to damage it? I have not seen one to know first hand, but I would tend to agree that it would be nothing more than vapor flashing off the rotors. I personally can't see it hurting anything. It is like if you were to take paint reducer to a cars finish- if it is warm and you put it on lightly the reducer flashes instantly- there is no harm done. If you wet the surface down and it soaks in before evaporating, it will soak in and damage the finish. I tend to feel it would be along those same lines, no?
Joe

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
With 100% Methanol try this, pull the air bridge and shoot it. It evaporates in a blink. It's not wetting anything once it's in a hot airstream.

·
05 ENFORCED-INDUCTION GTO
341 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Do you think it is "wet" enough to damage it? I have not seen one to know first hand, but I would tend to agree that it would be nothing more than vapor flashing off the rotors. I personally can't see it hurting anything. It is like if you were to take paint reducer to a cars finish- if it is warm and you put it on lightly the reducer flashes instantly- there is no harm done. If you wet the surface down and it soaks in before evaporating, it will soak in and damage the finish. I tend to feel it would be along those same lines, no?
Joe
I'm using Alki-control's unit and no problems . The ones who have had the most experience on this mod and a Maggie would be the guys on the Corvette forum. If you have any concerns read up what they have to say.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I agree with the corvetteforum statement- go there for info- those guys have been doing for years what over cautious GTO owners say can't be done :).
Joe

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I just saw your "pro GTO" wife comment. Mine was- until the mods started. Heh, she was not in the least surprised when she come home the other night and saw it on jackstands with the motor ripped apart. Actually, I think "see I told you it wouldn't make 10,000 miles before you broke it" was what came out of her mouth- followed by "how much is this going to cost???" lol.
Joe

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Don't forget the truck guys too at performancetrucks

·
05 ENFORCED-INDUCTION GTO
341 Posts
kwiktsi said:
I just saw your "pro GTO" wife comment. Mine was- until the mods started. Heh, she was not in the least surprised when she come home the other night and saw it on jackstands with the motor ripped apart. Actually, I think "see I told you it wouldn't make 10,000 miles before you broke it" was what came out of her mouth- followed by "how much is this going to cost???" lol.
Joe
My wife is an Angel... even after the GTO busted and we all had to be towed home.
I'm very blessed.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts