LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got back from the track. This is only the second time I have ever been. Back in April my first runs ever were 14.5, 14.6 14.5.......

now with my maggie blowing me down.....I gained a full second BUT that only means I got a 13.5 tonight with a 2.03 60' trapped 104.11. This car weighs 4200lbs with me and maggie in it. Running on 245/40/18's Toyos I did get some real good traction this time. I really think with more practice and some cooler induction air I could get 12's. It was basically high 80's and humid. On my last pass I shifted the A4 and it was going fine from 1st to 2nd but then when I shifted right at 6k rpm it did not downshift right away and banged the limiter a little further down the track I heard a big ass clank noise from right rear under the car, I got scared and backed off her. That run I got a 13.75 with a trap of 94.7mph????? does that even seem right? I guess had I not backed off I might have had a better time. I felt sick thinking I might have broke something but I never found any loose bolts on the rear and the 40 mile ride home she seemed fine. I am hoping it was somehting I hit on the track.

Now I know all the ****in stang owners are gonna chew this **** up and piss on it but I think if Padre drove my car or Nikivee then it would run 12's
I now have only made 7 passes ever on a strip. I will post the slips tomorrow.
There was a 69 Chevelle running 10.1's it was awesome, ran like it was on a rail.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Keep practicing and don't feel bad. I'm sure I'd be in your shoes (or slower)when I hit the track. I've never been and am nervous about proving how bad of a driver I really am.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
josephra said:
Keep practicing and don't feel bad. I'm sure I'd be in your shoes (or slower)when I hit the track. I've never been and am nervous about proving how bad of a driver I really am.
I know but with the supercharger I should make 12's easy.

oh well.....one day I will drive to Georgia and meet Padre at a track and let him run my goat and see what the car is capable of.

·
Registered
492 Posts
As long as you have fun, who cares what anyone else thinks!

I remember my first time at the track and I was nervous as hell. It has taken a lot of practice to learn how to drag.

I went racing with Mike and the PFYC car with the Maggie in it and I know how hard it is to launch.

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Well I just got back from the track. This is only the second time I have ever been. Back in April my first runs ever were 14.5, 14.6 14.5.......

now with my maggie blowing me down.....I gained a full second BUT that only means I got a 13.5 tonight with a 2.03 60' trapped 104.11. This car weighs 4200lbs with me and maggie in it. Running on 245/40/18's Toyos I did get some real good traction this time. I really think with more practice and some cooler induction air I could get 12's. It was basically high 80's and humid. On my last pass I shifted the A4 and it was going fine from 1st to 2nd but then when I shifted right at 6k rpm it did not downshift right away and banged the limiter a little further down the track I heard a big ass clank noise from right rear under the car, I got scared and backed off her. That run I got a 13.75 with a trap of 94.7mph????? does that even seem right?
Your best time is pretty much in line with the blown GTO I ran into/against at Mason Dixon, right down to the mph.
(He did run a little better on a couple of runs though)

My question would be:
Did you have the car tuned on a dyno?
Or is there a pre-programmed chip that comes with the Magnacharger?

I'm no Magnacharger or GTO expert, but it sounds to me like it's likely a tuning/safety feature built into the supplied Magnacharger chip/tune.

Or maybe something in the stock GTO computer pulling timing/fuel?

It is interesting that the Aussie Monaros don't seem to be affected - maybe they have a different computer/tuning/etc from the factory?

Or maybe they are custom-tuning around the problem?

Dbluegoat said:
I think if Padre drove my car or Nikivee then it would run 12's
Maybe.... ;)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
great times Dblue. dont be ashamed. just keep practicing and have fun. thats what its all about anyways.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I'm no Magnacharger or GTO expert, but it sounds to me like it's likely a tuning/safety feature built into the supplied Magnacharger chip/tune.

Or maybe something in the stock GTO computer pulling timing/fuel?
A bit of both I imagine. I suspect the main problem with the Maggies is heat-soak. The dyno numbers we see are probably the result of a nice cool run.

Check this out: Boost Cooler.

Padre

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dbluegoat be happy with your times, and that bull**** that you think you can't drive your car; all it takes is practice and you'll have it down the strip with a time that you can be happier about. IMO I think 13's in 4000+lb daily driver is a fast family sports car. I just ran last night at Bandimere Speedway, Denver, CO (6000ft) with the air density at approx. 7000ft. 54f deg and I broke into the 13's for the first time at 13.8 at 103mph. Now, I'm at a disadvantage at altitude only getting 5 lbs. of boost at altitude, but so far I'm happy and I think you should be as well, just more practice at the strip. Now, granted i think padreGTO would tear us new ones, but it could be both his driving skill or he could just have one of those freak cars that GM(opps, Holden) put out thats really fast, or his combination blends well with his driving style. Overall, there a many reasons that our cars turn the times they do vs. others so be happy with yours and forget mustangs and long live the goat.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would assume you guys turned the tc off? I would also definately get the car dyno tuned, make sure you are putting out the power you are supposed to. I hate to say it but I think with an A4 you should be doing much better even without experience if the power is there.

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cjlannoy said:
I would assume you guys turned the tc off? I would also definately get the car dyno tuned, make sure you are putting out the power you are supposed to. I hate to say it but I think with an A4 you should be doing much better even without experience if the power is there.
mine put down good numbers on the dyno.......I was thinking 12's for sure. I do know the heat is killing it but still.

tc is always off.

·
Registered
835 Posts
something is definately slowing you up, you have basically the same hp with more torque than me and I'm running in the 12's. Must be the heat? I'd sure like to get our two cars together at the same track and see what happens. Did you open the hood and let it cool off between runs and after you got to the track. Otherwise you should try some ice on the intake (I'm not sure if it is good to cool the supercharger that way, maybe don't want to shock it)

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Gang, I'm not criticizing his times. And ya'll know me - I'm the first to say go out and have fun, as I even post vids of my losses.

I'm just trying to figure out why he's not in the 12's. Heat factors a little bit. Experience another bit. But all in all, he should be trapping higher than that. ETs I'm not worried about. I've run a 13.8 with almost the same trap as my 12.25.

And the reason for this, I'm speculating, has nothing to do with weather or his experience. I honestly believe that Angus is on the target when he says there's a problem with pulling timing, etc. I've talked with experienced tuners about the Maggie and they say heat (as in engine heat, not Florida heat) is the big problem. And I imagine Angus is right that the factory tune from Magnacharger is very conservative. He saw another Maggie-GTO run very similar times under different conditions. The Maggie-tune combined with factory presets is going to start cutting back once that thing gets hot. My novice speculation is that the Maggie's intercooling just doesn't cut it.

Look at another member's Procharged D1. I talked with the tuner. He ran 12.2 @ 112, but the problem was heat and exhaust restriction. Should have been running 11's.

That's why I suggested the methanol injection. Lots of supercharged cars are going with that nowadays. It lets you run pump gas and full timing, and from what I've seen, it gets results.

Dblue, at the least you need to get with an experienced tuner on the dyno, and also consider my methanol suggestion. I'll probably be going methanol myself, but for other reasons. :sneaky: :secret: :)

Padre

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I know but with the supercharger I should make 12's easy.

oh well.....one day I will drive to Georgia and meet Padre at a track and let him run my goat and see what the car is capable of.
Your chance is comming up on 10/22 at Silver Dollar Dragway which is in Reynolds, GA south of Macon. We should have 10 or more GTOs there. Some of us are crashing out at the Comfort Inn after the strip for a few cold ones and some dragstrip talk! You should make it!

Doc

·
21,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doc GTO said:
Your chance is comming up on 10/22 at Silver Dollar Dragway which is in Reynolds, GA south of Macon. We should have 10 or more GTOs there. Some of us are crashing out at the Comfort Inn after the strip for a few cold ones and some dragstrip talk! You should make it!

Doc
Yeah I wish this was on a saturday, I doubt I will be able to make it. Work has been busy as hell the last couple weeks and I really should not miss a day.

:cry: its still a maybe though for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts