LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Any other HPT files here to view?
Preferably boosted
Sorry, I have, but it’s from a tuner so I don’t own the rights to openly share. Maybe there’s something in the tuning section. Eventually I’ll make it over there myself.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Sorry, I have, but it’s from a tuner so I don’t own the rights to openly share. Maybe there’s something in the tuning section. Eventually I’ll make it over there myself.
I mean technically speaking you own the tune and paid for it.

Granted i wouldnt be trying to take his business away. Nathan is across the pond though it looks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I may be overly sensitive about this, but I'd let it go in a heartbeat if I did it myself.

·
Administrator
8,839 Posts
Tune files aren’t owned by anyone. Hence the reason why HP Tuners has a tune repository section where you can browse all sorts of different files.

Anyone with a half a sense also knows to never upload someone else’s tune into their car. That’s a big no-no. You can view it for reference only to give you ideas on how to make changes to your own tune.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Tune files aren’t owned by anyone. Hence the reason why HP Tuners has a tune repository section where you can browse all sorts of different files.

Anyone with a half a sense also knows to never upload someone else’s tune into their car. That’s a big no-no. You can view it for reference only to give you ideas on how to make changes to your own tune.
the repository is gone other than stock files

·
Administrator
8,839 Posts
They must have cleaned them out over the past year then. There used to be everything from mild to wild in there that I used to reference while tuning my GTO's and Camaro 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
They must have cleaned them out over the past year then. There used to be everything from mild to wild in there that I used to reference while tuning my GTO's and Camaro 2 years ago.
heard the epa crackdown caused it.

happen to have any of those files still?

·
Administrator
8,839 Posts
Nope. Deleted them all once I nailed down what I was doing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Got my epoxied sensor tonight same as Sacrifice. Curiosity got the best of me, so needed to take it out and mock up a little side by side test on the workbench to see what's really happening. Taped all 3 to the 2x4 above the multi-meters:
  • Omega 44005 without Epoxy on Left (resistance displayed on fluke)
  • Cheap thermocouple in center (Temp displayed on amp clamp multi-meter on left)
  • Omega 44005 WITH Epoxy on Right (resistance displayed on Extech)

Grabbed some data points where I started at room temp, blasted it for about 12 seconds with the old hair dryer, then backed off, then blasted again, then backed off. Omega datasheet had the constants and equations, so stuck them into excel to convert ohms to temperature. Here are the results, temp in F.

Conclusion is the epoxy is thermally conductive and holds some thermal mass that prevents it from responding as quickly as the bare sensor. This makes sense.
Bigger concern is the large lump of epoxy will heat soak and be worse than the OEM sensor and this just starts to show up a little at the very end, but will be obvious - the mass of epoxy on this sensor is much heavier than what is on the OEM sensor. I don't think I will be installing this one. May be looking for some epoxy with insulating properties.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Got my epoxied sensor tonight same as Sacrifice. Curiosity got the best of me, so needed to take it out and mock up a little side by side test on the workbench to see what's really happening. Taped all 3 to the 2x4 above the multi-meters:
  • Omega 44005 without Epoxy on Left (resistance displayed on fluke)
  • Cheap thermocouple in center (Temp displayed on amp clamp multi-meter on left)
  • Omega 44005 WITH Epoxy on Right (resistance displayed on Extech)

Grabbed some data points where I started at room temp, blasted it for about 12 seconds with the old hair dryer, then backed off, then blasted again, then backed off. Omega datasheet had the constants and equations, so stuck them into excel to convert ohms to temperature. Here are the results, temp in F.
View attachment 509572

Conclusion is the epoxy is thermally conductive and holds some thermal mass that prevents it from responding as quickly as the bare sensor. This makes sense.
Bigger concern is the large lump of epoxy will heat soak and be worse than the OEM sensor and this just starts to show up a little at the very end, but will be obvious - the mass of epoxy on this sensor is much heavier than what is on the OEM sensor. I don't think I will be installing this one. May be looking for some epoxy with insulating properties.
Nice data. I didnt even think about doing that.

Im probably still going to run it as it has to be a better option still compared to a factory temp sensor

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Did a little more playing today with IAT sensors and stumbled onto something interesting and I am wondering if anyone thinks this below would be a good off the shelf option for fast acting IAT?

I ordered two sensors from Amazon for $16 each to play around with before I put everything back together again. The bulb of the thermistor is coated or plated with something metallic, and if memory serves me correct all the ones I have seen from the factory and with the maggie were epoxy coated. This is all new to me... I though I would test it to see how superior all the traditional Omega options are, but that's not the answer I got back. Looking for opinions...

AC Delco 213-4416 and Omega 44005

I have quite a few photos, but this shows all 4 I was looking at. I may have found some ways to improve the performance of the usual omega sensor mods for use in the maggie applications. Only change made to the AC Delco unit was to remove the cage.

Here is the response curve for the various sensors. I don't think the AC Delco reads a little higher overall, but seems to be as or more responsive than any of the other options.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Really we can run whichever we want. It looks like a good option, id just see which one reacts the fastest. Change the tune accordingly for resistance.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts