LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the posts about the Magna Charger installs that everyone is doing. My question is if any of you are using the program that came with the Magna Charger or has the car been dyno tuned after the install? I am trying to guage if the results I have been reading are from just the kit as it is delivered or if the installer/tuner is doing something special with the setup. I am looking at the supercharger as a first modification since it is the big ticket item. And then modify the exhaust/heads/cam in support of it. Has anyone with exhaust or head modifications experinced a loss of boost pressure with the Magna Charger setup? In my experence with superchargers once long tube headers and high flow exhaust are added there would be a loss of boost pressure in the system. The same can be said of porting the heads etc.. usually a blower pully was used to set the boost pressure back up to support the higher flow through the system. Just looking for input while I map out the plan for the new car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Papabear said:
I have been reading the posts about the Magna Charger installs that everyone is doing. My question is if any of you are using the program that came with the Magna Charger or has the car been dyno tuned after the install? I am trying to guage if the results I have been reading are from just the kit as it is delivered or if the installer/tuner is doing something special with the setup. I am looking at the supercharger as a first modification since it is the big ticket item. And then modify the exhaust/heads/cam in support of it. Has anyone with exhaust or head modifications experinced a loss of boost pressure with the Magna Charger setup? In my experence with superchargers once long tube headers and high flow exhaust are added there would be a loss of boost pressure in the system. The same can be said of porting the heads etc.. usually a blower pully was used to set the boost pressure back up to support the higher flow through the system. Just looking for input while I map out the plan for the new car.
PapaBear,

I brought my car in today to have the magnacharger and a set of long tube headers installed. I hope it will be ready by Friday.
They are not using the tuner that came with the S\C. I called magnason and they said if I don't use there tuner they would not sell me the extended warrantee. They also said they have just revised the installation instructions which now they recommend the removal of the MAF screen and if the instructions for the S\C that I received does not show the removal, I must return there tuner back to be reprogrammed. They say with the screen removed and there re-programed tuner. I should get 30 more RWH.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
cnard - The extended warranty Magnuson offers is in validated not only by using different software but by modding the drivetrain in conjunction with the S/C - installing headers, for example. This was discovered by one of our sponsors on this site.

So if you plan on doing ANYTHING to the car other than the S/C install, their extended warranty won't work for you anyway.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Cnard,

Nice to see you around. Be sure to post your numbers after install. CMNT and DY are gona be Jealous as all Heck....

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
sxty8goats said:
Cnard,

Nice to see you around. Be sure to post your numbers after install. CMNT and DY are gona be Jealous as all Heck....
They won't be the only ones :hail:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
phobos512 said:
cnard - The extended warranty Magnuson offers is in validated not only by using different software but by modding the drivetrain in conjunction with the S/C - installing headers, for example. This was discovered by one of our sponsors on this site.

So if you plan on doing ANYTHING to the car other than the S/C install, their extended warranty won't work for you anyway.
so what you are saying is the standard 3yr warranty that comes with the s/c is void if you get a tune other than the one that comes with it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
so what you are saying is the standard 3yr warranty that comes with the s/c is void if you get a tune other than the one that comes with it?
Dbluegoat,

The S\C will still be covered but I would be unable to purchase the optional extened warrantee.

·
21,898 Posts
cnard said:
Dbluegoat,

The S\C will still be covered but I would be unable to purchase the optional extened warrantee.
ok thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
I went with the shop that installed my m/c, although I did several runs today and discovered they did not accurately bump the rev limiter, and I am getting knock all over the place. Not sure if I want them to clean it up or I will. I was hoping it was efi v5 which sometimes showed knock when there wasnt, but Efi V6 showed it also. You just may want to go with the magnuson tune unless you really really trust the shop.

·
Registered
86 Posts
kick_*ss said:
I went with the shop that installed my m/c, although I did several runs today and discovered they did not accurately bump the rev limiter, and I am getting knock all over the place. Not sure if I want them to clean it up or I will. I was hoping it was efi v5 which sometimes showed knock when there wasnt, but Efi V6 showed it also. You just may want to go with the magnuson tune unless you really really trust the shop.
K*,

Thanks for the info on the tuner. The shop said they wanted to use there tune rather then the Magnason. I guess time will tell.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about an apparent boost loss occuring when you improve flow elswhere in the engine. Remember, boost is really just an indication of restriction. The object of the whole game is to flow more air/fuel into and out of the motor. Having a higher static manifold pressure doesn't tell you much in and of itself. The bigest source of boost loss considered to be detrimental, would be that caused by a cam profile that allows too much valve overlap, resulting in blowing the intake charge out the exhaust valve during the overlap period.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Talked to a guy at Magna Charger today and he told me they did a in house install on a stock 6 speed car for Hot Rod magazine yesterday and with the Superchip download it made 418 HP and 430 Torque at the rear wheels. This should be a good article coming soon in hot rod. Has anyone made any 450 #s with the maggie?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mistermike said:
I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about an apparent boost loss occuring when you improve flow elswhere in the engine. Remember, boost is really just an indication of restriction. The object of the whole game is to flow more air/fuel into and out of the motor. Having a higher static manifold pressure doesn't tell you much in and of itself. The bigest source of boost loss considered to be detrimental, would be that caused by a cam profile that allows too much valve overlap, resulting in blowing the intake charge out the exhaust valve during the overlap period.
This is why I stated the heads/cam/exhaust whould be chosen to support the main power adder the supercharger. Lets take my old Cobra for example. 1999 Cobra with a Vortech set to 8 pounds of boost on the stock drivetrain. After the addition of long tube headers high flow cats and 3" exhaust. I lost 2 pounds of boost pressure. The addition of ported heads and crower blower cams plus extrude honed intake lost another 2 pounds of total boost. When I changed pullys to get back to the starting 8 pounds of boost I picked up another 65 horsepower over the better flowing engine running 4 pounds. What I did was spin the blower faster and add more cfm of airflow to the more efficent engine. But most people understand the measurement of pounds of boost better than how many cfm of air I am flowing through the engine. i may be getting a little ahead of myself asking these questions since this car and the superchargers for them are so new. There may not be cases that answer this question yet.

But back to the main part of the question. From the responses so far looks like the installer has been doing the tune on most of the cars without using the kits programmer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GOATANATOR said:
Talked to a guy at Magna Charger today and he told me they did a in house install on a stock 6 speed car for Hot Rod magazine yesterday and with the Superchip download it made 418 HP and 430 Torque at the rear wheels. This should be a good article coming soon in hot rod. Has anyone made any 450 #s with the maggie?
Cool that is the kind of information I was looking for. I will have to look out for that article. Someone at work told me today in the new issue of High Performance Pontiac that had done a install on a car that only had a aftermarket exhaust.

·
21,898 Posts
GOATANATOR said:
hmm......thats very interesting, GTprix was talking about his car getting it done for a magazine......I wonder if its him

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I would want use the M/C tune as a starting point, rather than go it from scratch. Of particular concern would be the effect of IAT on the tune. Magnuson relocates the IAT sensor to after the blower. I can't tell from the photos I've seen whether it is pre or post charge cooler. I would certainly expect the M/C tune to take into account the expected temp differences and likely back out some of the severe timing pull vs IAT put in by the factory. I would also expect them to know more about the temperature relationships on their S/C better than someone not intimately familiar with that product. That might explain the bad KR situation with the independent tune.

Regarding the comments on the Cobra, I totally agree. What I find interesting is the effect of exhaust mods on intake pressure. This would, on the surface of it, tend to indicate that the cam wasn't particularly blower friendly.

If I wanted to overspin the blower to compensate for a freer flowing engine, I would probably lean more toward a Vortech or ATI than an Eaton.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
hmm......thats very interesting, GTprix was talking about his car getting it done for a magazine......I wonder if its him

The GTO in the pontiac magazine is the one from Arrowhead Performance-Howies GTO

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
It seems like Arrowhead has established a pretty good relationship with the magazine. They loved the exhaust system. Howie said he saw 440 HP on a Dynojet with the Maggie.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
What I want to see are numbers from a S/C'd Goat with headers and exhaust. I haven't seen good numbers on those yet. I am hoping for something in the 450+rwhp range, given that there's a guy in Ventura CA running a Goat stock but for the S/C and making 422rwhp, tuned by Magnuson. JRM something or other is the guy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts