LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I just picked up my IBM A4 from Magnuson Products in Ventura, CA. My car was the test vehicle for emmisions certification for the intercooled supercharger for the 04 GTO automatic trans. Two 6 speeds have been done, including the Arrowhead car of Howie posted on this site.. My car has a rough test tune on it now, and I am to work it out for a couple of weeks before the final tune. Currently at 5.5 psi boost. Extremely clean installation and absolutely seamless performance, just like a factory s/c, only a lot faster (my wife has a Buick Regal GS) The Magnuson is an animal from 40 to 100. I have not toasted it from a dead stop, but it performs very well with TC on, and a full throttle shift fron 1 to 2 with TC off was 12 feet of rubber, sideways a bit and a scream that blended well with the s/c whine and the exhaust note.

The s/c makes no noise until you get on it, and then it sounds great!! I have no decals or stickers, but the whine will be a give away if anyone can get close enough to hear. I will post pics and the dyno chart, if I can get it, in a couple of days. The great news is that it adds, in my case, and the rough tune, 91.3 rear wheel hp (262 to 353.3, both at 5500 rpm,) and 96.7 lb ft torque (285.6 to 382.3, both at 4250). I think the Magnuson dyno is conservative, since tha base 262 seems low and the car has never been slow. Only 1500 miles, thouigh, and I run on 91 octane rot gut from California.

The Magnuson r and d director was very impressed with the GTO version of the 4l60-E, saying that the Aussies obviously upgraded it a lot. This is from someone used to working with Corvettes and GM trucks in many applications. Way sweet the way the drivability is enhanced with tc on.

More to come on this.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
JRM346 said:
More to come on this.
And you better! Awesome. :hail:

I agree the stock numbers are a little low (262), but perhaps it's just a matter of break in. I dynoed 285 at 3000 miles. Mine gets smoother every day, even after my mods.

Get thee to the track and let's see how she does! :cool:

Padre

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Very cool :hail: need more GTO owners like you and padre.

Are you gonna take it to the track anytime soon?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Sounds great! 5.5 seems a bit conservative. I had heard numbers like 7 psi knocked around in the past. (no pun intended) I have no personal experience with SC of any type. Is the car otherwise stock?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww man.........................I'd kill for a supercharger and some complimentary mods! :punch:

Unfortunately it will probably be a year or two after the 2005 comes out before the aftermarket has some good stuff out for the LS2. :cry:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been street driving my s/c A4 for a couple of days and am very impressed with the ability of the GTO to put the power down. The car is right there with a mild dip into the throttle and seems totally factory except for the whine and the rush. I have a dyno sheet on the rough tune I am testing now, but it will not download to the site because it is too big. I am recruiting help and will be posting pics and more in a couple of days. Car looks totally stock and has no other mods except intercooled Magnuson s/c package, which has a lot, and a K&N panel. Had to lose my CS pipe, but the Magnuson pipe is cool. See the Arrowhead pics. Package looks same as that except for a new intercooler reservoir. More later. Yes, Padre, I will get to a track. Closest to me is L. A. County Raceway, kinda high desert, near Palmdale, CA. Best times before were 13.7, 103 in a Buick Regal 1987 Turbo, and this Goat is a much faster and quicker car.

·
8,959 Posts
JRM346 said:
More later. Yes, Padre, I will get to a track. Closest to me is L. A. County Raceway, kinda high desert, near Palmdale, CA.
Great report. You might also try Carlsbad. 50 more miles or so for you (and a drive through LA), but they have test-and-tune on Saturdays (unless it's changed). I raced there once a few years back during a visit to San Diego. I didn't particularly like it, but it was close to sea-level, so your times will be better. Of course, all of us will be running slower in the middle of the summer, even in SoCal.

Good luck, Padre

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
JRM346 said:
Car looks totally stock and has no other mods except intercooled Magnuson s/c package
Oh that's it just a S/C. :eek2: Tough mod to deal with.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
TprGTO said:
Oh that's it just a S/C. :eek2: Tough mod to deal with.
LOL...............................NO KIDDING!!!

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
JRM346 said:
I have been street driving my s/c A4 for a couple of days and am very impressed with the ability of the GTO to put the power down. The car is right there with a mild dip into the throttle and seems totally factory except for the whine and the rush. I have a dyno sheet on the rough tune I am testing now, but it will not download to the site because it is too big. I am recruiting help and will be posting pics and more in a couple of days. Car looks totally stock and has no other mods except intercooled Magnuson s/c package, which has a lot, and a K&N panel. Had to lose my CS pipe, but the Magnuson pipe is cool. See the Arrowhead pics. Package looks same as that except for a new intercooler reservoir. More later. Yes, Padre, I will get to a track. Closest to me is L. A. County Raceway, kinda high desert, near Palmdale, CA. Best times before were 13.7, 103 in a Buick Regal 1987 Turbo, and this Goat is a much faster and quicker car.
Let me know the next time you're planning a run in Palmdale and I will come down to take video and pictures. I would LOVE to see your setup.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
As Will Smith said...

I GOTTA get me ONE a these! :hail:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Attached, I hope, is a picture I took today of the s/c installation on by IBM A/4. I have been reducing files to attach. The learning curve, etc.

·
8,959 Posts
JRM346 said:
Attached, I hope, is a picture I took today of the s/c installation on by IBM A/4.
SWEET! :hail:

Darnit, now I have to go to confession. Something about covetousness. ;)

Padre

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
The more I read about this kit the more I like it, but Magnacharger needs to work with us on the price a little. almost 6k on top of 30-34 for the car is a little much IMO

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
JRM346 said:
Attached, I hope, is a picture I took today of the s/c installation on by IBM A/4. I have been reducing files to attach. The learning curve, etc.

OH.....SH!T MY WALLETS IN TROUBLE NOW

:hail: :hail: :hail:

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
Wait a minute, I think envy is knocking at my door now. That s/c setup looks awesome. Congrads.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
So with the SC package it is the SC, intake pipe, and a K&N panel filter? Anything else? Do they reflash the stock ECU or chip it, ect?

Looks awsome!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doc:

A good description of the MagCharger package is on the Arrowhead and TByrne sites and probably some other vendors also. I think Lingenfelter offers a MagnaCharger package too. Basically it is the s/c, liquid intercooler, intake manifold, intake pipe, injectors, radiator for the intercooler, reservoir for the intercooler (mounted above the battery) and extensive ECU work. Mine is going back for fine tuning the ECU on the dyno in 10 days. I added the K&N. The airbox is factory standard. The s/c casting is polished on mine. A factory looking silver finish is standard. The whole thing is very compact, as the intercooler is sandwitched between the s/c and the intake manifold. A driveshaft on the outside of the passenger side of the s/c allows the blower drive to be out of the way so the air can enter the engine front and center just like stock. All connections and parts look factory or better. A small amount of the underhood insulation blanket needed to be cut. Took a stock GOAT owner for a ride yesterday. He was completely blown away as how stock the car sounded and felt until, well, you can guess the rest. The shift from 2nd to 3rd at 85 is a jaw dropper with the pull in 3rd.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Sounds awsome, my friend with his A4 dyno'd with and w/out nitrous this week. He put down 259.xrwhp. He has 1100 miles on his car. With the nitrous on it made 351.xrwhp and I forget the tq #'s. I need to see if I can scan his dyno so that I can archive it for us.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts