LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magnacharger installation complete as of Friday.Looks OEM ,neat&clean installation.As is typical with m6,had to work on the hood to stop contact. If you have interior noise that sounds like a water pump bearing it indicates Magnacharger hood contact (echo from hood) Used duct tape on hood ,drove for awhile and modified all area showing wear/contact on the tape. That was the only modification to the car.

The results at the wheels are as follows after several dyno runs Stock 290 rwhp,308lb ft trq. Magnacharger, results 394 rwhp,400lb ft trq. Weather conditions for all dyno runs were about the same with dyno room temps around 67 degrees. IAT during runs was 134-140 degrees,total advance tops out at 19-20 degrees …..a very conservative tune with no KR experienced. It is a smart move on the part of Magnuson to move the IAT sensor to the rear of the intake picking up the temp after the air is compressed but before it passes through the intake intercooler .Again a very conservative approach. Looking at some of my stock results, the advance was also 19 degrees with the same IAT.

Performance is outstanding but 1st gear traction or lack of is now a definite problem. Top gears 3rd,4th are just awesome with hard strong pulling to the red line .So far with a couple of hundred miles around town it as smooth as stock. Also drove home 180 miles after installation and averaged almost 26 mpg which was my best ever. Cruise set at 75 with only one blast of throttle entering a merge lane. Fuel mileage Impressive as well.

Visited my Pontiac dealer yesterday with whom I have an excellent long standing relationship and the techs were surprised to see how easy it will be to provide any warranty service as all emissions sensors, fuel lines ,etc are stock and accessible. Noted however that oil pressure sensor replacement would require removal of Magncharger.

Will be hooking up my monitor to record street IAT, advance and KR results and will post in the near future .Drove the car after dyno with the Tech II hooked up and everything was normal at that time. One note, some have indicated the water in the recovery tank for for the cooler is not hot. That is normal for an air to water cooler and I have 25 years experience with turbos / intercoolers. The Bosch pump used is a high volume ,low pressure unit using large three quarter inch hose. This assures fast flow without heat soak of the water so the hot air from the compressor is passing over cool water. Your hand will not feel the 40 plus degrees of heat taken out by the water. If your water is noticeably hot its not working. Remember air and water have far different densities and air cools quick and water heats slow.

Overall, I believe the Magnacharger is the best unit available. Not the most power perhaps but the one that looks like it belongs on the motor, probably the most conservative tune of the bunch and Magnuson has a strong e track record regarding reliability.

As a side note…what have any of you with similar mods broken? Clutches,trannys,half shafts etc..Sound off

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Congrats on the Blower! I was under the impression the IAT sensor was after the heat exchanger in the manifold airpath.

·
Registered
56 Posts
scheer said:
Magnacharger installation complete as of Friday.Looks OEM ,neat&clean installation.As is typical with m6,had to work on the hood to stop contact. If you have interior noise that sounds like a water pump bearing it indicates Magnacharger hood contact (echo from hood) Used duct tape on hood ,drove for awhile and modified all area showing wear/contact on the tape. That was the only modification to the car.

The results at the wheels are as follows after several dyno runs Stock 290 rwhp,308lb ft trq. Magnacharger, results 394 rwhp,400lb ft trq. Weather conditions for all dyno runs were about the same with dyno room temps around 67 degrees. IAT during runs was 134-140 degrees,total advance tops out at 19-20 degrees …..a very conservative tune with no KR experienced. It is a smart move on the part of Magnuson to move the IAT sensor to the rear of the intake picking up the temp after the air is compressed but before it passes through the intake intercooler .Again a very conservative approach. Looking at some of my stock results, the advance was also 19 degrees with the same IAT.

Performance is outstanding but 1st gear traction or lack of is now a definite problem. Top gears 3rd,4th are just awesome with hard strong pulling to the red line .So far with a couple of hundred miles around town it as smooth as stock. Also drove home 180 miles after installation and averaged almost 26 mpg which was my best ever. Cruise set at 75 with only one blast of throttle entering a merge lane. Fuel mileage Impressive as well.

Visited my Pontiac dealer yesterday with whom I have an excellent long standing relationship and the techs were surprised to see how easy it will be to provide any warranty service as all emissions sensors, fuel lines ,etc are stock and accessible. Noted however that oil pressure sensor replacement would require removal of Magncharger.

Will be hooking up my monitor to record street IAT, advance and KR results and will post in the near future .Drove the car after dyno with the Tech II hooked up and everything was normal at that time. One note, some have indicated the water in the recovery tank for for the cooler is not hot. That is normal for an air to water cooler and I have 25 years experience with turbos / intercoolers. The Bosch pump used is a high volume ,low pressure unit using large three quarter inch hose. This assures fast flow without heat soak of the water so the hot air from the compressor is passing over cool water. Your hand will not feel the 40 plus degrees of heat taken out by the water. If your water is noticeably hot its not working. Remember air and water have far different densities and air cools quick and water heats slow.

Overall, I believe the Magnacharger is the best unit available. Not the most power perhaps but the one that looks like it belongs on the motor, probably the most conservative tune of the bunch and Magnuson has a strong e track record regarding reliability.

As a side note…what have any of you with similar mods broken? Clutches,trannys,half shafts etc..Sound off

Nice post, very informative. Mine is in for a Vortech install. Won't get it back until mid November however. But I had asked Jim at Gravana about driveline. He commented that the Maggie install will probably need a clutch fairly soon. After reading some posts it looks like the limited slip is also a very vulnerable point. I suspect that after the clutch is strengthened you will have to go down the line and replace things, driveline, rearend, axles. Probably depends GREATLY on how the car is driven of course. I will be putting a clutch and flywheel and KAAZ rearend as soon as it comes back.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lets gets some Track #s from you Maggies, I do not think I have seen any yet ..

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Cool welcome to the maggie club.......she blew you just a little better than me!

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
bclarke said:
Lets gets some Track #s from you Maggies, I do not think I have seen any yet ..
We should have some head-to-head h/c vs. Maggie numbers Friday night. :) And videos too. :cool:

Padre

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
Bin4ry said:
arg :mad: ATI or Maggie ... decsions decsions
Maggie for me

·
Registered
662 Posts
1newgoat said:
Welcome to the blown goat club :gr_jest: