LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had it up on the hoist at an exhaust shop today and we were mulling over what we were gonna do.

Our factory mufflers are very small (compared to many others). They are 10" long on one side, 10.25" long on the other. They are pretty well crammed in to the floorboard and pretty close to the rear subframe. The system is 2.5" into the mufflers (center in) and 2.25" offset out to the tailpipes. There is a bend on the outlet that may also limit how long you can go with an aftermarket muffler.

Anyway, I ordered two MagnaFlow 4x9 mufflers. Part number 14362. They are 11" long mufflers. We will most likely cut some of the tail pipes down some to keep the overall length down, but for now, I am keeping the stock 2.25" tubing. IN order to split out each side, there is a lot of plastic that needs cutting/removed on that side. :(

Anyway, it'll run me about $300 for this setup.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Well, I had it up on the hoist at an exhaust shop today and we were mulling over what we were gonna do.

Our factory mufflers are very small (compared to many others). They are 10" long on one side, 10.25" long on the other. They are pretty well crammed in to the floorboard and pretty close to the rear subframe. The system is 2.5" into the mufflers (center in) and 2.25" offset out to the tailpipes. There is a bend on the outlet that may also limit how long you can go with an aftermarket muffler.

Anyway, I ordered two MagnaFlow 4x9 mufflers. Part number 14362. They are 11" long mufflers. We will most likely cut some of the tail pipes down some to keep the overall length down, but for now, I am keeping the stock 2.25" tubing. IN order to split out each side, there is a lot of plastic that needs cutting/removed on that side. :(

Anyway, it'll run me about $300 for this setup.
Really lookin forward to pic's of that system. Hurry up !!! :D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next weekend most likely.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
you'll like that setup i bet. magnaflow mufflers offer a great sound without the annoying resonance that some can do (ie flowmaster). sound clips would be nice once you get that done

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Magnaflow's (2 of them) on my 8.1 and it's just deep, bassy, loud. It vibrates the floor it resonates soo much. :D

Don't worry, I document all my escapades. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was thinking about removing the mufflers, and putting the biggest resonators in there that would fit. I know it would be loud, but the tone would probabely be incredible! :thumbs:

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
They are pretty well crammed in to the floorboard and pretty close to the rear subframe.
My A4 still has a very annoying vibration at 1,000RPM. I notice it when accelerating slowly or when I let up on the gas in second and the RPM drops to around 1000RPM. Did you happen to notice where the exhaust may be hitiing the frame to creat this noise?? Could the exhaust be hitting each other?? How is the exhaust mounted?? Can it be adjusted away from points that the exhaust may be vibrating against??

Thanks.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since it's so close to the floorboards (it's really packed in there), any movement could cause it to hit the floorboards. However, the mufflers will NOT hit one another. There is a brace between the mufflers, a non-functional cross tube after the resonators, and then the resonators have a bracket between them holding them in place. So there is no way each exhaust pipe/muffler/etc can touch one another.

·
Bonzai Baby
211 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Since it's so close to the floorboards (it's really packed in there), any movement could cause it to hit the floorboards. However, the mufflers will NOT hit one another. There is a brace between the mufflers, a non-functional cross tube after the resonators, and then the resonators have a bracket between them holding them in place. So there is no way each exhaust pipe/muffler/etc can touch one another.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to bring it in - again. I wonder if it can be "lowered" a bit to prevent it from hitting the floorboard? I thought it was a loose heat shield kind of sound.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It could be a heat shield because there is one stuffed between the muffler and the floorboard. Mine is slightly bent out of place on the drivers side muffler most likely due to heat expansion and cool contraction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts