LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my '04 IBM about two months ago. So far all I've done (spent all my cash on the car) is swap out the stock mufflers for some magnaflows. No cat back or anything, just the mufflers. This definitely gave it a noticable change in sound, but it just seems not loud enough anymore.

I don't think I can re-create this sound but one of my best friends bought a new '02 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary w/the center mount exhaust. He swapped the mufflers for flowmaster super 40s. I can't even put the sound of his exhaust into words. Sure it's loud, but my jaw drops every time I hear it. I could listen to it for hours. I'm thinking this is because of the oval center mounted tips and the fact that the tips are pretty much right off the mfuflers on those cars (similar to Vettes).

I feel like the LS1 in my goat sounds like a completely different motor. I guess I want something that just SCREAMS like all hell. I know some shorties (canot do LTs, I live in CA) will help to open it up but this guy's maro is all stock engine wise except for the cat-back.

Any advice here would be appreciated. I've considered cutouts but I'd rather just have the normal exhaust be louder.

Zach

· Exhausted Tuner
1,277 Posts
F-bodies have an Y/I-pipe exhaust with a cross flow muffler and have a different sound character compared to a true dual.

Try deleting the resonators in the front pipe and have an exhaust shop open up the "fake" H with a torch and see what you think. This should cost you under a $100.

If still you are looking for a little more delete both stock mufflers under the car and run a 2.25" dual in / dual out muffler in the DS rear cavity.

· Ka-Boom!
2,499 Posts
I love the magnaflow cat-back and long tube combo. the cat-back only was a little quiet at first, they get better as they "burn" in and long tubes make it sound like old school muscle.

· Oh my f*ck!
6,902 Posts
You could try opening up the H-pipe, that'll give a different character to your sound. Also, replacing the cats (or just losing the resonators) can make a HUGE difference in the sound.

· Bye Bye GTO
3,128 Posts
Cherry bombs. Trust me you'll love it:)

I am in the same kind of boat you are. I kind of want my car louder, since I only drive it once or twice a week on the weekends.

I have the Magnaflows 14216 with Magnaflow x-pipe and custom redone exhaust. I was thinking of switching to the 14616 magnaflows or even corsa sport mufflers. Look on Hottexhaust.com, you can buy the Magnaflows for cheap. The 14616's are way louder I think, there are a few members in here who have them.

· OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
3,602 Posts
spd98 said:
get rid of the resonators. Will be a whole new sound.
agreed, i set off car alarms with my magnaflows on my 05...getting h-pipe is installed this afternoon

· Registered
152 Posts
Magna Flows w/Xpipe

Had mine put in about 1500 miles ago, initially they were quieter than my stock exhaust, now they are starting to get louder, like old time "glass packs"; today I am having my KOOKS long necks w/cats put on; Not only more hp, but from what I hear will sound great.

· Ka-Boom!
2,499 Posts
robo282 said:
Had mine put in about 1500 miles ago, initially they were quieter than my stock exhaust, now they are starting to get louder, like old time "glass packs"; today I am having my KOOKS long necks w/cats put on; Not only more hp, but from what I hear will sound great.
Youre gonna LOVE it!

· Registered
1,638 Posts
1) remove resonators or
2) Long-tube headers

Then you'll love the Magnaflows!

· Registered
154 Posts
How much of a difference would it make if the only mod i do to my 06 is the H-Pipe and leave everything else stock? Will it pop more etc. How loud does it get inside the car?

· GTO went bye-bye
2,361 Posts
honestly, take a good look at all the kinks your stock system has. if i were you, rather than spend that money over again, i'd dave a lil extra and just buy a system. you can find plenty of used stuff for about $400.

my $.02. i have the magnaflow catback with JBA catted mids and LOVE it!

Mike

· Da Bidness End
701 Posts
znewton1 said:
I got my '04 IBM about two months ago. So far all I've done (spent all my cash on the car) is swap out the stock mufflers for some magnaflows. No cat back or anything, just the mufflers. This definitely gave it a noticable change in sound, but it just seems not loud enough anymore.

I don't think I can re-create this sound but one of my best friends bought a new '02 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary w/the center mount exhaust. He swapped the mufflers for flowmaster super 40s. I can't even put the sound of his exhaust into words. Sure it's loud, but my jaw drops every time I hear it. I could listen to it for hours. I'm thinking this is because of the oval center mounted tips and the fact that the tips are pretty much right off the mfuflers on those cars (similar to Vettes).

I feel like the LS1 in my goat sounds like a completely different motor. I guess I want something that just SCREAMS like all hell. I know some shorties (canot do LTs, I live in CA) will help to open it up but this guy's maro is all stock engine wise except for the cat-back.

Any advice here would be appreciated. I've considered cutouts but I'd rather just have the normal exhaust be louder.

Zach
My friend/boss has the same car (35th aniv SS). If you want to duplicate the sound I'd recommend
1. Shorties and an SLP Loudmouth OR
2. Shorties and a Corsa Sport
Being that you can't do LTs in CA...:cry::bs:

· Registered
111 Posts
The Centermount exhaust on the SS is a Y-pipe setup, which cannot duplicate the sound of a true dual setup like on the goats. The tips do not change the sound much, regardless of what you might think. They barely muffle the sound, but only someone with an ear trained to hearing each version on the same muffler could tell a difference. And the tips are not right after the muffler on the F-bodies, they actually each have a 90-degree turn to go through, whereas the Vette's are simply straight out.

Delete those resonators and you'll be good to go!

· Need A Little Beethoven?
9,543 Posts
Put on a set of Spintechs, trust me.

· Registered
327 Posts
Right on time!!!

I just deleted my resonator today, and WOW! NO! Let me say it again! WOW!!! Please just get rid of the Reso and you will turn down the radio just to hear the exhaust! I have Magnaflow Muffs and just had a custom fab x-pipe installed with a K&N air charger C.A.I., that I have had for 3 months, and my GOAT sounds like a Vette. On the 5th of Nov. I will get it custom tuned @ Magnaflow, and I won the tune @ a GTG. :D . I said let me do the x-pipe before the tune because I had planned on getting it done anyway. Magnaflow Muffs have a little more conservative sound than flowmasters, but it all depends on what you want your car to sound like. When I say it sounds like a Vette, it has a that low pitch idle with the kind of American muscle/ exotic sports car scream that the Vette has. Flowmaster will give you a more outrageous muscle car sound, but once again like I said it all depends on what you want it to sound like. What ever happens, GET RID OF THE RESONATOR AND YOU WILL BE GLAD REGARDLESS.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am definitely glad i did it but my buddies '02 35th Anniversary is sooo damn loud and he isn't running anything but the SLP act-back. He's still got the stock manifolds even! His seems at least 3x louder. I'm guessing this could be due to the fact that it is a SLP exhaust. My goal is to do some LTs next being that I don't need to smog for a few years!

Zach

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.