LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this mentioned here and there as something people do with their LS1's. I understand the point - try and catch some of the metal and save your oil filter wear and ultimately you engine wear. What are the thoughts and do you plan on putting one in your car?
Dan

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've seen the posts as well. Does the LS1 have steel cylinder sleaves? The block and heads I thought were aluminum.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yes, the block is sleeved.

Magnetic drain plugs will catch some of what the oil filter doesn't, but don't rely on it as the fail safe solution if you know what I mean.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
Magnetic drain plug

Some LS1s have this problem
Check your rocker arms!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Condition
Some customers may comment or technicians may notice needle bearings being found during an engine oil change. The bearings may be found in either the drain pan used or on the magnetic oil pan drain plug.

Cause
One or more rocker arms may have experienced a bearing failure.

Correction
Inspect all of the rocker arms for bearing retainer cap failure. If one or more defective rocker arms are found, replace all 16 rocker arms. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.
If no condition with the rocker arms is found, refer to the service history for previous rocker arm repair. If previous rocker arm repair was made, then the engine may not have been thoroughly cleaned of loose roller bearings. If no previous rocker arm repair was made, then look for another condition.
Remove the oil pan and clean out any additional bearings found within the oil pan. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.
Install the oil pan. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, now I'm more confused. Is that saying that the LS1's typically come with a magnetic drain plug?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Most do, some don't.

Mine does but I've seen a few that don't

BTW, if the needle bearings from your rocker arms were down in the oil pan (which is an old problem with this engine), you'd probably know about it before you even pulled the drain plug.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
rschumacherfan1 said:
Ok, now I'm more confused. Is that saying that the LS1's typically come with a magnetic drain plug?

None of the Corvette LS1s come with it. Just buy on at the dealer for about $3.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
B/STOCK said:
None of the Corvette LS1s come with it. Just buy on at the dealer for about $3.

Anyone got the GM part number? I've tried searching but came up with bupkiss.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
You can buy them from many auto parts stores for under $5. They should be able to look up the size you need by vehicle.

I've used one for years, its saved me at least a few times. (Mostly finding it covered in shavings before more damage occured.)

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
wow, 50-90 dollars for one of those suckers. Whos going to be the lab rat for this? lol

I am sure if a vendor or someone here bought and and tried it for 3k miles and showed pictures of it cut up afterward people would buy it. I am just afaid in some of those pictures below someone had an issue with the car where as on a good running new car we wouldn't find squat compared to the pictures on that website,

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Hmm, what size would we need? The only place online I see they listed them for sale was www.jcwhitney.com and they only show them in motorcycle sizes.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
It looks like you can buy them right off of their website. Our filter is pretty small and I know I had to use the smaller size oil filter wrench that I have to get it off. I have a filter unused outside, if I get to it I'll measure it.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Both my GTO and Formula came with a magnetic tip on the drain plug.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
A magnetic tip on the plug is nice but catching 'junk' in the oil inside the filter is the best method since it gets removed every time you change the oil filter. A $50 isnt bad considering the wear it could save your engine from over time.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
My May 04 built GTO came from the factory with a magnetic drain plug. I will defer to CMNT... that maybe some of them didn't.

The filter magnet does sound OK, esp if you are about to put in a cam or just did or something like that. Some of the Harley -Davidson owners I know swear by the things.

Anyone know how to rip open a AC-Delco filter?

·
Registered
131 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
I've seen this mentioned here and there as something people do with their LS1's. I understand the point - try and catch some of the metal and save your oil filter wear and ultimately you engine wear. What are the thoughts and do you plan on putting one in your car?
Dan
Bottom line is that the plug is cheap, and can't hurt. But it could help in some situations. I think you'll find if you observe the magnet during an oil change you'll see a light coating of grey looking sludge. Hell if I know what it is, but it must have some ferrous material in it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts