LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking out the f-body sites, and it seems that the magnacharged GTO's are definitely having some issues. I saw one vid where a magnacharged GTO raced an '03 cobra, and only turned a 13.74 at 98 mph. I watched a nearly bone stock GTO (programmer and exhaust) turn 13.55's the other night at nearly 105 mph. Since the mod is turning such great numbers on the dyno, I'm starting to think the heat soak issue is a valid one.

So, for anyone who has the magnacharger: How does the radiator for the intercooler mount, and does it have an auxilliary cooling fan?

·
Sonoma Co. Goat Herd
358 Posts
For the M6 the radiator mounts in front of the a/c cooler and no there is no additional fans, I just installed mine on thursday in one of the steps I choose not to hook up the coolent line to the throttle body

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'd really like to see some more IAT data under a range of conditions. So far, it looks like IAT's run about 20-30 degree hotter than N/A under everyday driving. What would be telling is to track IAT after all temps have stabilized after a 20 minute light cruise, then jump on it and see how fast it climbs. One member here programmed his PCM to kick on the fans under 30 MPH no matter what. This might not be such a bad idea. Heat soak / underhood ventilation is already a problem with a stock GTO/Monaro, and I'm beginning to see why the Aussies made such a big deal about it, as us Yanks tended to play it off. Add to that a supercharger that heats the air considerably more than stock and there's no question that heat soak is a big issue.
Just today, I made a 150 mile trip and, as an experiment, I immediately opened the hood when I stopped at a rest area about 3/4 of the way back. After about 15 minutes sitting, IAT's were about only about 10 degree over ambient, compared to an expected 70 or so before I applied the intake insulation and probably about 50 degree with the insulation. My fondest wish is that Autosport Development make a commercially viable version of their racing hood. The PYFC hood at least moves in this direction, but I'm hot sure, given the size of the outlet holes under the hood, how effective it is at actually ventilating the engine compartment. A pair of louvered panels that could be cut into the stock hood would be a Godsend.

·
KBAS
221 Posts
Has any one tried to get a group discount on these things? 6 grand for a SC. When I had my '89 Civic, I paid 2,600. I understand there are more civics out there than GTO's (I know, it makes me sick too!) but why is the price so damn high. Is the law of supply an demand really that cruel.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Its not really just a supercharger for 6k, its new fuel injectors, fuel rails, and manifold all in one.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
What contributes to the cost of a Magnuson kit is that it includes, beyond just a S/C and pulleys, a new manifold, intercooler, circulation pump, FMIC radiator, new injectors, fuel rails, and a programmer. I don't consider the cost excessive considering the R and D that goes into a properly engineered product expected to last the life of the car. Sure, it would be cheaper if they were stamping them out with cookie cutters, but I don't think it's particularly out of line with past kits for F-bodies and Corvettes. The Vortech kit is somewhat cheaper as it retains the stock manifold.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well you have to remeber the reason the IAT is hotter for the MC cars, is that they relocated into the backside of the intake. I should actually almost be reading the IAT after the SC.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I've been told it's in the airpath after the charge cooler, and the photos would tend to bear that out. I'm sure the aluminum manifold doesn't help in that dept.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Also a lot of us have had to need re-tunes. My IFR table was backwards, yet I still ran well, just not where I wanted to be.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thats kind a funny I had Magna`s rev a and rev b tune and my IFR tables were not backwards, You must of had someone elses custom tune, I have been on 3 dynos and made about the same HP on all 3, 410 average I only made 369 on REV A with the screen. My car runs so perfect I do not understand why people seem to be having so many problems with the so called Magna Charger tune up. You do understand that the tune is only for a stock car and any mod will make the tune change for the worst.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
mistermike said:
Heat soak / underhood ventilation is already a problem with a stock GTO/Monaro, and I'm beginning to see why the Aussies made such a big deal about it, as us Yanks tended to play it off. .
I will tell you what I have learned a ton about this and how bad the heat soak really is on our cars. The intake setup is very poor, we really need a source for more cooler air. I have not done any formal measuring with the s/c in the car but I know the heat in general is holding my numbers down.

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This isn't directly related to the current thread, but you can improve underhood ventilation by removing the hood gasket. You'll suck a little more hot air at the stoplight, but it will lower your underhood temps quite a bit. I've used this trick on my impala for years. Learned it from the buick t-type guys.

On the intercooler radiator, if it's right up against the a/c condenser, you can probably get away with installing a manual fan switch. Turn it on when you're in the staging lanes at the track, or whenever you think you might need it...

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mistermike said:
A pair of louvered panels that could be cut into the stock hood would be a Godsend.
Didn't the cavalier have louvered hood vents at one point?

·
Here for a while
1,707 Posts
GOATANATOR said:
Thats kind a funny I had Magna`s rev a and rev b tune and my IFR tables were not backwards, You must of had someone elses custom tune, I have been on 3 dynos and made about the same HP on all 3, 410 average I only made 369 on REV A with the screen. My car runs so perfect I do not understand why people seem to be having so many problems with the so called Magna Charger tune up. You do understand that the tune is only for a stock car and any mod will make the tune change for the worst.

Sounds like you have a nice set up GOATANATOR! :hail:

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1newgoat said:
That is one of the first thing to remove in the instruction
I'm not talking about the hood insulation, I meant the rubber piece situated between the back of the hood and the firewall. It seals the back of the hood when closed and prevents hot engine bay air from getting into the A/C intake. You will suck some hot air into the A/C intake when the car is idling, but you can reduce underhood temps by 20-30 degrees.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is another way, albeit kind of ghetto. You can washer the hood hindge mounts. Thus raising the hood in the back and allowing hot air to escape. Maybe something only for the track though, because it doesn't look the best. ;)

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I went and looked at the install pdf. Keep in mind I have yet to lay eyes on the real thing, but looking at the setup, it seems like they didn't account for idling in the staging lanes. Quick solution would be to install a manual fan switch, and/or an auxilliary cooler with its own fan. This is assuming all the electrical connections are working, and that you didn't fill the coolant tank with straight antifreeze.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The magnacharger's intercooler is water cooled, right? If so that's teh reason why it gets heat soaked so fast. Unless you give it time to cool back down, and/or add ice before every run, it will always get heat soaked. For the most part that setup works very well for dedicated drag cars, but not a street car. To me, and I don't know about this S/C setup, I'd go with an Air to Air I/C. If it already has an Air to Air I/C and is still getting heat soaked then you can always use a C02 or nitrous spray kit to keep the I/C nice and cold.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know if this matters but the water in the inner cooler on my car with the magnuson sc doesn't get very hot no matter how hard you run it. I ran mine pretty hard last night and as soon as I parked it I checked the water and it was slightly warm.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts