LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

If you haven't read my sig, I also own a '96 Impala SS. In the Impala SS community, there has been a running annual event called the Southern Super Heavy Shootout held in Atlanta. This will be the 4th year for the event.

It is a 1-day drag racing event for all American cars weighing in at 3800lbs minimum. Typically, the Impala SS, Caprice, Roadmaster, Marauder, Crown Vic, Mark VII and VIII's show up and have a big braggin' rights type event. This brings in some excellent cars from the eastern half of the US (all the way from MI no less!!).

Well, I, myself, have never been a fan of actually drag racing, but I enjoy watching, so I was going to go watch with the Impala SS, but some friends of mine have talked me into going with the GTO and competing. Problem is, it may be a hair under the minimum. I have talked with the event coordinators about some of us showing up, and they said no problem, as long as we add the necessary ballast to the inside of the car (sand bags, appx 50lbs maybe?) to meet the minimum weight. They also have scales there as well to see for sure.

So, after getting the OK from the coordinators to run the GTOs, I was posting here to see if anyone would be interested in going out and having some fun! Myself, and one other GTO from the St. Louis area (he's a strong 'maybe') would be going down to play.

Just for clarification, any RWD or AWD American car can go play in the Run All Day Class (no need to meet 3800lb minimum weight requirement), but to run for the Trophies, you need to meet the weight minimum. I'm on the fence as to meeting the requirement and going for trophies, I may just run the run all day class to get times.

The official website is here.

I may be able to field questions, or at least pass them on to the event persons, so how about we get a strong showing of GTO's there? Whaddaya say??

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
This sounds like fun!

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
no coness said:
I may be able to field questions, or at least pass them on to the event persons, so how about we get a strong showing of GTO's there? Whaddaya say??
Sounds like fun. Don't know if I can make it (on a Saturday), but stock I weighed in at 3865 with me in it. With a full tank of gas, the spare and all that stuff, it ought to weigh in at 3800 or so (without driver). And if they allow ballast, go for it.

Keep us up to date.

Padre

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey All,

My name is Scott Barnes, I am with GASSIT, the folks putting on the Shootout here in November ! First off, Bob, thanks for posting this up here...we would love to have some quick GTO's out to compete :) FWIW, I do drive a boat, but love all cars in general, and the GTO is one of my favorites ( old AND new ). I have previously owned a 1970 that was my daily beater for years...I could not kill that car !!! My Dad also owned a 1964, 66, and 67. I love Ponchos :cool: I also will be in the market for an 04 or 05 when my Cabin Cruiser sells!!

As for the event, we basically put this on for fun. Competition is good, but we focus on FRIENDLY competition !!! In the beginning it was a Ford v Chevy shootout for the ....ummm....."weight privleged" :) We decided a few years ago to open it up a little to all that could make the weight break...ya'll will qualify with some ballast added. Only thing we ask is that you KEEP the ballast in during competition. Once ( or if ) you are eliminated, you can remove tha ballast and anything else you want, and run the "all day" racing lanes at any weight you want :eek2:

There are several classes for you to run in, the SSHS4 Website has most of the details. Note that class D is an open class, on a heads up pro tree (we call it Big Dawg !!)

If ya'll have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] , and I will try to answer all I can ;-)

BTW, PadreGTO, that track looks familliar !!!!
My Impala at Dallas <--- I am in the right lane !!! You'll need to copy/paste to your browser to view ;-)

Look forward to seeing ya'll there. It is a good time, and if you manage to get to the hotel the night before, or the night after.........

SSee ya, Scott

·
8,959 Posts
atlSS96 said:
BTW, PadreGTO, that track looks familliar !!!!
My Impala at Dallas <--- I am in the right lane !!! You'll need to copy/paste to your browser to view ;-)
Holy Moly, Scott! :eek: :eek2: Now that is a LAUNCH!!!

I hope I can make it. Friendly competition and fun is what I'm looking forward to. :)

Padre

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Holy Moly, Scott! :eek: :eek2: Now that is a LAUNCH!!!

I hope I can make it. Friendly competition and fun is what I'm looking forward to. :)

Padre
You put your 3.91s and the juice in and you got him!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote : You put your 3.91s and the juice in and you got him!!!

LOL... FWIW, I only posted that link to let the Padre know I've run in his back yard !!! I worked in Powder Springs, so Dallas was a good place to shake the car down after mods :) No call outs here !!! Just the same, that vid was her "maiden" voyage after an engine/blower swap , and only managed a 7.30 with a 1.67 60'. Dallas is very traction limited ( especially if your car is set up for a 1/4 mile !!), you can hear the car spin the tires in second gear, and my car is a big/fat/slow pig :cool: !!! The car in the lane next to me was no slouch, it is a 396 stroker, and ran an 8.50 on 20" street rubber :)

There are a few more videos of our "boats" here with drags, and a few roundy rounds, and some dynos :

http://jailerss.com/video/

Of course, this is my favorite:

http://jailerss.com/video/Scott_SSHS3_Dynos_512wmv.wmv

Look forward to seeing some fast GTO's in Atlanta !!

Take care...See ya, Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Bob,

Even in stock form, I would not call the GTO "slow" :) But yes, look forward to seeing you there. I don't think I had the opportunity to meet you in St Louis for either of the Impala shows ?? You keeping Jose and Carla in line ??

Thanks for posting the event up here, it would be nice to have a little diversity, and more competition this year :)

SSee ya, Scott

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
atlSS96 said:
Hey Bob,

Even in stock form, I would not call the GTO "slow" :) But yes, look forward to seeing you there. I don't think I had the opportunity to meet you in St Louis for either of the Impala shows ?? You keeping Jose and Carla in line ??

Thanks for posting the event up here, it would be nice to have a little diversity, and more competition this year :)

SSee ya, Scott

There isn't enough power generated at Hoover dam to keep them two in line :)

And no, I don't think we have met, but I think that will change in Nov.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I'm not running for the trophies in those classes, but just want to run in the Run All Day class, do I still register on your site, or do I just pay at the gate like a regular Test 'n Tune?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Bob,

You can do it either way, we prefer preregistration as it gives us a little better feel on how many cars will be there, but pay at the gate is fine.

SSee ya, Scott

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE...

It has been brought to my attention as to how close we will be to Deal's Gap...

Another GTO owner and myself are planning on driving this famous road before we head home. Anyone else want to partake?

More info about the location can be found here.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
no coness said:
UPDATE...

It has been brought to my attention as to how close we will be to Deal's Gap...

Another GTO owner and myself are planning on driving this famous road before we head home. Anyone else want to partake?

More info about the location can be found here.
damn that looks crazy.....

·
8,959 Posts
no coness said:
As I type, I'm about an hour from the Dragon (my home is not far). I was the first WRX to run it back in early 2001.

I'd love to run it in the Goat, but instead I'm taking the road along the Ocoee (also a lot of fun - where they did the Olympic kayaking) for the first leg of my journey to Wichita.

A GTO Dragon-run would be a lot of fun. But the Dragon is best for crotch-rockets and WRXs and Evos and the like.

Padre

·
8,959 Posts
Another pic - the dam where they filmed the famous jump from "The Fugitive". Also not far is the Chatuge, where they filmed "Deliverance". :sneaky: I used to go rafting there as a kid. I love it up here. :)

Padre

1 - 17 of 17 Posts