LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just clayed and Zainoed the goat. It is a lot bigger than it looks. I don't remember any car I've had that took so long to clean up. Lots of surface area. So much for a 20 minute job that used to be for the TA. This one takes at least double :eek2:

But it looks good :hail:

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I bet it looks sweet :D

Definately worth the work!

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Huntress said:
I bet it looks sweet :D

Definately worth the work!
Clayed?? I'm dumb on the whole detailing words. I just clean with car wash soap and wax with Meguirs or soon to be Zaino. Am i missing something? If so tell me i want to protect this paint.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Use a claybar the first time to remove any gritty stuff that is on the car. It can make a real difference in the surface feeling smooth. Wash, claybar, wash, Z6, and then first coat of Z5 took about 6 hours the first time.
:drink::drink:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Any time you do it right it takes awhile. At least it's not a Suburban or something. I bet it looks sweet :hail:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
That's because half the F-Body is greenhouse with a long windshield, t-tops, and a long, sloping/curving rear window.

The GTO is all painted surface. :D

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Come over and wax my Chevy Avalanche truck. You will realize the GTO ain't so bad.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
Don't forget your TA was white,they're easy.Dark colors are a whole new ballgame huh.Anthony

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bone said:
Don't forget your TA was white,they're easy.Dark colors are a whole new ballgame huh.Anthony
Yep. My Grand National killed me taking care of that black car. I'm sure it won't be bad from now on.

I did buff and wax my parent's black Suburban a couple of times. Now that was a full day job :eek2:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
desertgoat said:
Come over and wax my Chevy Avalanche truck. You will realize the GTO ain't so bad.
Half your Avalanche is plastic ABS molding. Come do my 2500HD!

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
That's what makes it difficult

CMNTMXR57 said:
Half your Avalanche is plastic ABS molding. Come do my 2500HD!
You have to be careful about getting any wax in the lower plastic cladding. You can just wisk away with wild abandon in your HD 2500 because there are no plastic edges to worry about. The last time I waxed my truck was a year and a half ago. I said to myself, never again......

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Rob said:
Yep. My Grand National killed me taking care of that black car. I'm sure it won't be bad from now on.

I did buff and wax my parent's black Suburban a couple of times. Now that was a full day job :eek2:
the black is a lot of hard work. but IMO, when properly maintained, there is no better looking color. there is just something about a cleaned and gleaming black car that stands out. i try to wax mine about once a month. and wash once a week.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
the black is a lot of hard work. but IMO, when properly maintained, there is no better looking color. there is just something about a cleaned and gleaming black car that stands out. i try to wax mine about once a month. and wash once a week.
I totally agree about the beauty of a black car...The way a beautifully polished black vehicle acts like a mirror is just totally cool :)

And what's with all you guys washing and waxing trucks?? They're *supposed* to be dirty. They're trucks. I ALWAYS tried my darnedest to get my Explorer covered in mud whenever possible back in the day :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
desertgoat said:
You have to be careful about getting any wax in the lower plastic cladding. You can just wisk away with wild abandon in your HD 2500 because there are no plastic edges to worry about. The last time I waxed my truck was a year and a half ago. I said to myself, never again......
I may not have as much actual ABS plastic, but the HD's have ABS plastic wheel flares to work around, body side moulding strips, and over the edge sprayed in bed liner to work around.

On the roof, I had to lay across it from the bed to reach all points and up front I have to work around clearance lamps and an OnStar antenna.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts