LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a bunch of other stuff under there anyway so I thought I would like to check my Manual trans fluid. The question is where do I check it?

I know the fluid that goes in is Dexron III ATF from another post

Thanks,
GranTurismoOmologato

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'd like to piggy-back this thread with another question about the tranny fiuld. Hope you don't mind and I don't know the answer to your question.

I'd like to know when people change the fluid. I'm giving the car a good workout and was thinking of flushing the tranny. Waste of time or no?

·
Registered
262 Posts
There's a fill plug about halfway up the side of the trans, basically in the middle front to back. Can't remember if its driver or passenger side though ;) pull the plug, make sure you have fluid to the level of that plug. As long as its not leaking, it will be ;) Manual trans fluid doesn't really need to be routinely checked, unless there's a leak. Change it whenever your manual says to, or roughly every 50k if you beat on it.. Use cheap fluid too, a slippery fluid won't work well and cause you to tear up the blocking ring friction material.

·
Old GTO Owner
2,812 Posts
Trust me, be prepaired to have fluid shoot out of the FILL hole. Also, if you plan on running synthetic in the T56, ask on LS1Tech.com because some synthetic has been known to ruin the syncro's.

·
RIP George...
2,163 Posts
RAZORPAW04 said:
Redline Synthetic For The T56 Workes Fine
or Royal Purple Syncromesh works quite well also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts