-a poorly done cat delete
-Diablosport Handheld Tuner
-CXRacing Coilovers brand new in box never installed
-Whiteline Strut Mounts
-OEM Strut mount bearings
-Banshee Guage pod with Aeroforce Interceptor and Autometer ProComp A/F Gauge
-Pioneer Double Din touchscreen head unit
-K&N Intake

I picked this car up for $6,000 on 2/1/14 and was told the 2 major problems was the trans grinding into 3rd and the front right strut mount was obliterated.

It had tons of plastidip all over it, the entire sideskirts were still plastidipped black when i got it, and so was the skirt on the rear bumper as well as the trunk and the roof. i've since removed the plastidip from the skirt and the rear bumper but i left the trunk and roof because ill do that later.

What i've done so far Was changed out the suspension to the brand new coilovers he gave me with the car and put the Whiteline strut mounts and bearings in. i also put new shock mount bushings on there even though the original ones were ok. I also changed out the red tails to some smoked ones i still had laying around from my old GTO and just gutted the trunk, i wont be needing anything in there anyways.

What i would like to do next is have the trans repaired and upgraded (any recommendations on a trans shop in the south jersey area?), replace the wobble stick factory driveshaft with a one piece and probably go with an LS7 clutch/flywheel. while im down there and the car is off insurance i want to do some longtubes and catless mids as well. I'll probably be going with the cheap alternative. Ebay headers on that. Reason for that is i spent two hours trying to find the advantage to spending 1000+ on headers versus 505 shipped. If i were going for raw drag racing performance the extra 2 or 3 hp i might pick up from the crazy expensive headers might be worth it. Maybe someone can sway my opinion on that but so far thats where i stand. I also want to install an accusump oiling system to keep the engine safe. From what i hear the LS1 prefers straight lines to horizontal ones.

Im waiting on my tax refund and for the remaining stuff i have left from my S13 to sell. I'd like to try and build this car as far as i can using money i've already spent before i start tapping into my bank accounts because im going out on medical short term disability for a few months from work. Maybe i'll tell you guys that funny story one day =P to make a long story short, drifting saved my life. thanks for checking this out so far!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was expecting to see much worse when I saw the price and how it sounded. You're off to a good start. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was expecting to see much worse when I saw the price and how it sounded. You're off to a good start. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it
Thanks man, yeah its really in just decent shape, the shifter boot is torn, the knob is loose, the steering wheel has play, if i were going for stock it would definitely be a fixer upper, but since all of that stuff is getting replaced it was perfect platform to build on. right now im going through the process of gutting it, half the interior is out and i would have the rest out if it wasnt so god damn cold out!

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two bolts that hold the steering rack to the cradle. You should check and make sure those are tightened down all the way. Mine were loose when I got my car and it had quite a bit of steering play. Tightened them up and now it's fine.
thanks for the advice! i havent felt much like crawling under it for a few days but it looks like ill be checking that today while its on my mind!

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, the inside of the car is completely stripped minus the dashboard and the headliner. My interior went up for sale and is currently pending payment.

I went ahead and ordered the Whiteline adjustable radius rod bushings, Whiteline radius rod to control arm bushings, and the Whiteline front lower control arm bushings. I also ordered a Planted seat bracket for my bride drivers seat. It will be just fixed mounted with no rail. A couple of my friends helped me decide this and every rail ive ever owned has given the seat a little bit of play which can be a nuisance sometimes and it also raises the seat up a bit. I think fixed will be just fine. I have a passenger side Planted bracket from my 240SX ill probably just modify to work.

The next things to buy are a couple more bushings, long tube headers, wheels, accusump, probably a hurst shifter and then the fun begins with fabrication. I'm gonna run the hurst shifter regardless of reviews because it seems like people have long term issues with them not short term, this car will not be getting daily driven so i figure it's acceptable.

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also just bought a 3 qt accusump, manual valve, install kit with filter adapter, and brackets. hopefully thatll keep the engine safe from low oil psi situations!

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Off to a great start, can't wait to see how this turns out for you.
thanks man im really excited as well! i was supposed to get some stuff today from UPS but thanks to Winter Storm Pax it looks like its going to be delayed. Oh well!

Poor interior. But I'm sure it'll look great when finished. I'm not far from you can't wait to see it on the street
Yeah man for sure! as soon as i get the trans fixed and i put the interior together im sure we'll run into eachother, what area are you from? im from cherry hill.

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haddon twp. I'm sure we will definitely run into each other. New to the Gto world but not my first Ls1.
its funny how us LS guys always end up back with one. this is my second GTO i picked it up on feb. 1st so im new for the second time haha

anywho i just went ahead and ordered the GForce1320 Billet Steering wheel adapter and an NRG quick release. i have a MOMO steering wheel in my garage im going to use also thats actually signed by Vaughn Gittin Jr (its faded away so its barely there now)

i should get off the internet im spending all my moneys!!! haha

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whiteline goodies just showed up. Hopefully ill be getting my Accusump and accessories as well today. still more stuff on the way.

Radius Rod Bushings, Inner Control Arm Bushings and the Radius Rod to Control arm Bushings.

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
car looks great.

Cant wait, im stoked

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks man im stoked too!!! repping goats hard this year!

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Cool, got this Accusump yesterday from Summit racing. 3 Qt, manual valve, install kit and clamps. i think i should be recieving my steering wheel adapter from Gforce today also.

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This gforce1320 steering wheel hub adapter came in today also, the only thing that sucks about all of this is knowing it all has to get installed and it's so damn cold in the garage haha

·
GTslOw
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Buy an electric heater from Walmart. It helps a bit I used one for awhile. Actually I might still have one I'll give you.
i actually picked up a propane heater that works great but what im really trying to do is get my transmission out for the rebuild and upgrade, the issue with that is that the heater doesnt heat the general floor area, i tried an electric baseboard heater but that didnt seem to help out =\ its really just me whining haha

Nice build looks fun!!!
thanks man i know im really going to have a blast with this bad boy!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
29 Participants
Langdonious Rex
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing