LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello GTO lovers,

I'd like to dial in my ride height before I get an alignment next week. Curious to know what are some tried and true ride heights that you guys are running, specifically on the lower side with no rubbing.

My front fenders seem to be rolled, they were that way when I bought the car (sheet metal is tucked and doesn't make a 90 degree bend like the rear fenders. My rear fenders I cut myself, about half an inch, and are repainted. I'm trying to avoid rubbing and repainting.

Wheel Specs - Front: 18x8 + 42mm, Rear: 18x9 + 45mm

Tire Specs - Front: 235/40/18, Rear: 265/35/18

Thanks in advance!

JS

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
Too many variables to offer a specific ride height that won't rub. The beauty of coilovers is that you can play around and adjust to get the ride height to work for your car.

In regards to the alignment; adjusting the ride height on coilovers doesn't to a large degree affect alignment. Yes, it will affect the camber in the rear, but camber in the rear isn't adjustable unless you install eccentric bushings.

Reactions: Glynn

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too many variables to offer a specific ride height that won't rub. The beauty of coilovers is that you can play around and adjust to get the ride height to work for your car.

In regards to the alignment; adjusting the ride height on coilovers doesn't to a large degree affect alignment. Yes, it will affect the camber in the rear, but camber in the rear isn't adjustable unless you install eccentric bushings.
I feel like I may be too low in the rear, but I haven't tried to launch yet. How much do these rear coils compress at about 425 WHP? I did not install eccentric bushings, just poly in the inner and outer.

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
No clue about how much they compress during acceleration/cornering as that's related to the spring rates of the springs included in the Mavman coilovers.

You really just need to experiment.

·
1 of 40,757
6,414 Posts
If you go too low only the inside of the rear tires make contact with the road.
You'll have no traction and go through tires every 5,000 miles.

I have 350mm springs with 14mm eccentric camber bushings and am just flat enough to keep the tire wear reasonable.

I also originally installed non-eccentric camber bushings and after a couple sets of tires I installed eccentrics.
Huge pain doing that job twice.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I swapped the rear springs with pedder drop springs. Didnt like how the ones in the kit road. Also that way I can keep bags in it and actually accelerate and not feel like its always dragging ass when driving normal.
Front has no gap and rear I tend to keep 3/4-1" higher. Also depends on the tire im on at the time.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No clue about how much they compress during acceleration/cornering as that's related to the spring rates of the springs included in the Mavman coilovers.

You really just need to experiment.
Trying to avoid rubbing at all costs so I don't have to redo my paint job.

If you go too low only the inside of the rear tires make contact with the road.
You'll have no traction and go through tires every 5,000 miles.

I have 350mm springs with 14mm eccentric camber bushings and am just flat enough to keep the tire wear reasonable.

I also originally installed non-eccentric camber bushings and after a couple sets of tires I installed eccentrics.
Huge pain doing that job twice.
Right now, measured from the center of the wheel to the fender lip I am at 335 mm. I'd like to bring it up to 350. Think that will be a good height with cut fenders?

Doing that job once can bring a guy to the brink of insanity, twice...yikes! Were the eccentrics at least a two-piece design?

I swapped the rear springs with pedder drop springs. Didnt like how the ones in the kit road. Also that way I can keep bags in it and actually accelerate and not feel like its always dragging ass when driving normal.
Front has no gap and rear I tend to keep 3/4-1" higher. Also depends on the tire im on at the time. View attachment 503451
Nice ride man, that looks like a good fitment! Dragging ass as in sagging on launch? Was hoping to get away from the stock sag by moving to coilovers.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Nice ride man, that looks like a good fitment! Dragging ass as in sagging on launch? Was hoping to get away from the stock sag by moving to coilovers.
I mean just cruising. Just having the rear above the front just made for a better ride. Cant stop it on launch but im not concerned about that. I put my bigger springs on and the 28's when I need that.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I mean just cruising. Just having the rear above the front just made for a better ride. Cant stop it on launch but im not concerned about that. I put my bigger springs on and the 28's when I need that.
Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant the Mavman springs were sagging out of the box. I agree, I'd rather have the rear higher than the front. Hoping I can make 350 work for the rear and 340 for the front.

How much did the springs seem to compress on an average street tire launch?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant the Mavman springs were sagging out of the box. I agree, I'd rather have the rear higher than the front. Hoping I can make 350 work for the rear and 340 for the front.

How much did the springs seem to compress on an average street tire launch?
The mavman? Pretty sure they were completely compressed. They are almost like that when the car is static. Not much room to go but it also seems like a weak spring for such a heavy car.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mavman? Pretty sure they were completely compressed. They are almost like that when the car is static. Not much room to go but it also seems like a weak spring for such a heavy car.
Interesting, well if I have issues with the spring compressing too much, I can either do what you did and get some Pedders or get some upgraded BC Racing springs to work with coilover.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I installed right out of the box. No rubbing issues on 245s on the stock 17s. I dont go about launching my car either though

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some photos of where the car is currently sitting. 335 mm (13.25 in) in the rear and 345 mm (13.5 in) in the front. My plan is to go to 350 mm (13.75 in) in the rear and 340 mm (13.375 in) in the front. Coilovers are set at full hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts