LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody reached 350RWHP, or close to that, with just bolt-ons and completely stock internals? If so, what are the mods?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Nope. All of us are hovering in the 330 rwhp arena which is right on par with the later ('02) F-Bodies.

·
Registered
117 Posts
04 LS1-MAN said:
I received a set of JBA headers friday and had them installed in two hours, Remove the plug wires, (I replaced mine anyways with JBA 9mm wires). Didnt remove the motor mount bolt, the right side slipped right in easily the left side I pulled and pushed on the motor and it slipped right in also. It took two of us for that. one to slide in the header and one to push the engine over. It didn't take much. They bolted up perfect. I bought the ceramic coated ones and they are coated inside and out. Now this last part your not going to believe, but I have witnesses. Saturday they had a Dyno Day at RPM and GTOJ and BAD MOJO were there also. At first it was putting out 302 HP at the rear wheels but they said it was detonating and the computer was cutting back on the timing. So we had Chris a LS1-Edit expert and he went into the PCM and changed the settings and when he was finished the GTO was putting out almost 350 HP. Another GTO that was stock was putting around 280 HP to the wheels. My GTO only has the Borla catback sys. the headers and plug wires and now the tuned PCM.
I believe if my memory is correct, on his dyno sheet he got 347rwhp and 356.5 rwtq. He has a thread on here under JBA Headers

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
You can hit ~350rwhp with bolt ons. You'll most likely need all of them which is a big and expensive list.

LT headers w/ no cats
catback exhaust
electric water pump
underdriven crank pulley
TB
MAF
CAI
A good tune

A dyno tune will be the best bet but you won't be able to use MAF ends, or aftermarket MAFs and still be able to tune it. The LTs are the key to even having a shot at getting close to that number.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
*Can* is the keyword. :D

Have any of us? No. I can't verify 04LS1man's though.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Anyone have a list of his mods? He's definetely got a strong runner. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can remember when I said I had 400 at the fly and I was shouted down. 330rwhp with just bolt ons sounds like more than 400fwhp to me

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder how responsive the LS2 will be to bolt ons. :) It would be nice to have close to 400RWHP without lifting a valve cover. :cool:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Lumina ss said:
I can remember when I said I had 400 at the fly and I was shouted down. 330rwhp with just bolt ons sounds like more than 400fwhp to me
Who would've shot you down? Most LS1's regardless of what actual car they are installed into seem to be able to get around 330 - 340 rwhp *on average* with just bolt ons, which equates to nearly 400 flywheel HP.

·
Registered
703 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Nope. All of us are hovering in the 330 rwhp arena which is right on par with the later ('02) F-Bodies.
I don't think that's a very accurate statement. I had 327 with just a catback/lid on my 02 z28. I surely would have gotten at least 20 with long tubes/no cats. And then a tune would put me over 350. I've known some 02's that had 315-320 in stock form.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Shinzon said:
Yeh the ls2 will put down 350rwhp. Those things will be the bomb diggity
Mumm, I cant wait... ;) Speaking of, my dealership called to say the car I ordered is there sitting on the dealership floor with my name in the window. Going by there tomorrow to see about picking it up.

·
408 Stroker GTO
3,406 Posts
350RWHP w/bolt ons

CAI $200-$400
LT Headers ( not the shorties!!!!) $800-$1000
R/T Cats don't remember:)
Performance exhaust (Borla whatever) $900
Dyno Tune ( not the handheld tune) $400
Plugs/Wires $200
Got me to low 300's on the Mustang Dyno which is right at 330+/- RWHP on a DynoJet......and I'm an A4.......so a M6 should be at 350+ RWHP......

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm going for all of that so we'll see :)
Although isn't the drivetrain loss 18% for auto and 15% for a manual? Don't know if you can pick up 20 there.. :)

Since i'm right at 300 stock, i'm hoping CAI and catback will gain me ~15-20 and long tubes no cats & tuning will gain me ~30..

False hopes? :)

I'm looking at

Long tubes: $1000
Cat back : $650
LPE CAI : $300
Tune : $250 (from guy I know locally)
Plugs/Wires : I already have these I was going to put on my Z28

so $2200 - and I got ~8k off MSRP on the car so i'll already be ahead of the 05s hopefully.. :) They surely won't be able to get their PCM programmed well any time soon.. It took a while when the LS1 PCM came out for ls1edit to be released.. Does anyone know if the LS2 PCMs have been figured out yet?

·
408 Stroker GTO
3,406 Posts
jfulcher said:
I'm going for all of that so we'll see :)
Although isn't the drivetrain loss 18% for auto and 15% for a manual? Don't know if you can pick up 20 there.. :)

Since i'm right at 300 stock, i'm hoping CAI and catback will gain me ~15-20 and long tubes no cats & tuning will gain me ~30..

False hopes? :)
Short answer no. Hey guys....your gonna be close....but the SOTP Dyno your gonna be happy as hell.....do the mods...put in some old Van Halen/AC-DC Live......go to main street and find some 05 Mustang GT's to piss on...have some fun!:)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
jfulcher said:
Does anyone know if the LS2 PCMs have been figured out yet?
Word is, yes... I hear software is already being put together for most of the major tuning functions for the LS2's ECU.

·
High Tech Redneck
328 Posts
sgtgeek said:
Short answer no. Hey guys....your gonna be close....but the SOTP Dyno your gonna be happy as hell.....do the mods...put in some old Van Halen/AC-DC Live......go to main street and find some 05 Mustang GT's to piss on...have some fun!:)
:gr_jest: :driving:

·
The Psycho 10 sec. Goat
1,968 Posts
CSiJason said:
Mumm, I cant wait... ;) Speaking of, my dealership called to say the car I ordered is there sitting on the dealership floor with my name in the window. Going by there tomorrow to see about picking it up.
Congrats and welcome to the new GTO.

·
da slow kid of the bunch
3,885 Posts
CSiJason said:
You sure you don't want a different color LOL if you say you don't want it, my name goes on it 2 seconds later. Already aprove just waiting to see what you do! :punch:

BTW it looks killer, good choice of color

1 - 20 of 35 Posts