LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So changed the fluid today. When I reinstalled the drain plug, I noticed what looked like a very faint hairline crack coming from the drain plug, and may or may not have heard a creak sound which got my attention to stop.
The plug came out with some red sealer on it, which gave some resistance when reinstalling, so I was tightening assuming the plug would go in flush with the case. Didn’t seem overly tight to me.
After I filled, I did notice a slight oil residue at the possible crack, so I back out the plug 1/2 turn to get the crack to close up. Seems to be holding fluid for now.
Am I screwed? Should I JB weld it?

Attachments

·
Worthless reject member
47,162 Posts
that's tough.

i would have someone competent weld it. or clean it as much as possible, epoxy it and send it. you'll be dealing with niggling issues down the road if you do it that way, though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently this I’m not the only dumb ass. Quick search for t56 drain plug crack on google gets lots of examples of other dumb asses.
saw some that did the sameas I and back off the plug and the gap closed. Saw a good idea to rtv the plug to ensure good seal without over tightening and jb weld the outside

·
Registered
975 Posts
A pipe plug like that is going to have 'pipe thread', and unlike your oil drain plug which is essentially a 'bolt', pipe threads are tapered and will never go flush. They will only get tighter as you screw it in. That's why you see many pipe nipples and brass fittings that are installed, but still have a few threads showing. It's just the nature of it.

·
Administrator
8,759 Posts
Hard to confirm from the pic, but is that a crack in your pan, or the plug itself? It sure looks like the pan.

A better pic would help, but that also doesn’t look like the correct oil pan bolt either which could be the cause of the crack. If thats an NPT bolt, you’re looking at a new pan in your future.

·
Administrator
8,759 Posts
Whoops, for some reason I didn’t even see the “M6”. Thought he was talking about an engine oil change.

I’d rather have a cracked oil pan than a cracked transmission case, so ouch.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard to confirm from the pic, but is that a crack in your pan, or the plug itself? It sure looks like the pan.

A better pic would help, but that also doesn’t look like the correct oil pan bolt either which could be the cause of the crack. If thats an NPT bolt, you’re looking at a new pan in your future.
it’s the M6 transmission drain plug, not engine oil pan and plug

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoops, for some reason I didn’t even see the “M6”. Thought he was talking about an engine oil change.

I’d rather have a cracked oil pan than a cracked transmission case, so ouch.
Yep, but a quick internet search indicates I’m not the only one. It’s not leaking since I backed out the plug to close the gap. Next fluid change I will probably add more rtv to the plug so and crack extending to the tread area gets sealed up

·
1 of 40,757
6,620 Posts
I'd suggest drilling a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading but I have a feeling that won't work well in this application.

[edit] Drill and tap it for a 4-40 screw. Funny or?

·
Worthless reject member
47,162 Posts
I'd suggest drilling a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading but I have a feeling that won't work well in this application.

[edit] Drill and tap it for a 4-40 screw. Funny or?
that could work, you could tap it with a small npt tap instead and use something the same thread to plug it.

GeNiUs!

·
Administrator
8,759 Posts
Epoxy over the whole crack and drain plug. Let the next owner deal with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts