LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After doing some research and reading up I might have found a turbo option other then stuffing twins in the engine bay. It's a company called Squires Turbo Systems. They don't have a "GTO" only system, yet atleast, but have an LS1 application. Some of their kit seems a little off the wall in my eyes, ie. the long intercooler piping and some of the methods to tap into your oil system. But in theory their product should work well for people who don't want to make room for a turbo or even an S/C in the engine bay. I know most of you are liking the numbers the magnacharger is putting down, which are very nice, but this might be an option for those people who might want a turbo. I personally have more experience with turbos, so I'm a little bias. How do you all feel about this as an option for GTO owners?

Here's a link to their site..... http://www.ststurbo.com

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Most LS-1 guys are familiar with STS. They are making a huge splash in the F-body ranks right now.

I have already spoken with 'em and they are indeed coming out with a system for the Goat.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
That is truely odd... I'm still wondering how it works well considering the way a turbocharger functions. My main thought is the fact it would be extremely annoying sounding since the turbo has such a short exhaust and no muffler to quiet it. I'm not sure i'm so keen on the intake pipe running from the rear clear up to the front either. But hey, its cheep and it works I guess.

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
The website has some videos of F-body's running at the track and doing various driveby's. People seem to be getting decent results out of the kit (low 12's, high 11's)

Some people wonder about excessive lag, But I personally feel that's kind of relative when you already have 300 at the wheels

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeha I agree with the lag issue, that's why I think it would work well on this application. A V8 isn't going to produce as much if any lag as a I4, so it's kind of a moot point. The only thing I don't like about the kit is the way you get oil for the turbo. I don't like the idea of using a special oil cap that is plumbed for your oil return. But then again you aren't drilling a hole in your oil pan either, so that would be nice for people that like to temp their warrenty. :) I'm even a little suprised that all that is need fuel wise is a reprogramed PCM. I figured atleast a fuel pump would be used to make sure everything will stay on the safe side. But the more I look at the more bright spots I see for using it on a GTO.

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
You should head on over to LS1tech.com and ask around. There are a couple of guys starting to get serious with these kits. The methanol injection helps out alot as well for higher boost. But a couple of guys have dynoed almost 500 at the wheels with Methanol.

There is a thread right now; a guy with a five pound kit and slipping all over the place for his first time ever at a track ran 110-114

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Thats not too shabby. But what happens with the dual exhaust? More specificly, what would happen with the split duals on the 05 GTO's? (Man, the LS2 would really kick a$$ with a turbo blowing a handfull of boost in past 2500rpm.) I'm still not too keen on the plumbing mess, specificly the oil feed and return considering if that fails, your engine is prone to damage.

·
Looking to buy...
226 Posts
It will be interesting to see what they come up with to make their system fit the GTO. I like the idea of a remote mounted turbo though. And it's more affordable than some of the other options out there. I checked out the site and found this video of some guys Z71: http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/Z71_Quick_Clip.wmv
Imagine what one of these things could do on a GTO :hail:

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
2edybrd said:
You should head on over to LS1tech.com and ask around. There are a couple of guys starting to get serious with these kits. The methanol injection helps out alot as well for higher boost. But a couple of guys have dynoed almost 500 at the wheels with Methanol.

There is a thread right now; a guy with a five pound kit and slipping all over the place for his first time ever at a track ran 110-114
Alky injection is the way to go if you run 93 octane. I ran that on my TTA. Straight denatured alcohol from Home Depot using an old single nozzle SMC kit. Without it, I could only run 16-17psi of boost with 0 KR. With it, I ran 23-24psi with 0 KR.

I would go with a progressive kit from my bud Julio at www.alkycontrol.com His kit is progressive and has saved his engine when his boost shot up over 30psi :eek2: Its a well thought out kit and took a long time to get dialed in before he started selling it. Everyone praises it and it really works :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
My only question with one of these STS systems is...what happens if you hit a big puddle or drive in the rain or something?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Rob said:
Alky injection is the way to go if you run 93 octane. I ran that on my TTA. Straight denatured alcohol from Home Depot using an old single nozzle SMC kit. Without it, I could only run 16-17psi of boost with 0 KR. With it, I ran 23-24psi with 0 KR.

I would go with a progressive kit from my bud Julio at www.alkycontrol.com His kit is progressive and has saved his engine when his boost shot up over 30psi :eek2: Its a well thought out kit and took a long time to get dialed in before he started selling it. Everyone praises it and it really works :)
I curious if folks do alky on a roots or twin screw blower. I'm not sure spraying methanol/water on the intake side of a blower is going to bode well over the long haul.

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
phobos512, You should go t the web site and check it out.

Like I said ask around LS1tech.com if you have questions.

·
With thanks to Padre
356 Posts
in Australia there is a mob that has developed a low-mount twin-turbo kit for the Monaro. I'll try to find the info tonight at home but from memory i think that it produces 350-400 hp

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
2edybrd said:
phobos512, You should go t the web site and check it out.

Like I said ask around LS1tech.com if you have questions.
I guess I missed this when I was looking @ this last night:

From the STS Website:
Doesn't water get into your engine with the filter mounted down low?
No, even under very wet conditions the filter sheds most all water. Under wet conditions the throttle position is usually very light because of traction issues so the engine is taking in very little air anyway. However, we do rigorous testing with our truck systems because many off-road wet conditions may require full throttle. Even under extremely wet conditions, where the water is flying clear over the top of the vehicle plowing through deep puddles, we have never had a water related drivability problem with any of our kits. However, if you were to completely submerge the filter, you would draw water through the filter and into the intake tubing.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
mistermike said:
I curious if folks do alky on a roots or twin screw blower. I'm not sure spraying methanol/water on the intake side of a blower is going to bode well over the long haul.
I probably wouldn't do it. Or maybe have it plumbed in such a way that its after the blower. But I don't know if it would atomize as well or if at all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
97GSTAT said:
Yeha I agree with the lag issue, that's why I think it would work well on this application. A V8 isn't going to produce as much if any lag as a I4, so it's kind of a moot point.
Do you know of any other turbo companies making a kit for the LS1 or GTO?
I'm all about the turbo. I need some torque to move my 4,000 lb car :burnout:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Snow Goat said:
Do you know of any other turbo companies making a kit for the LS1 or GTO?
I'm all about the turbo. I need some torque to move my 4,000 lb car :burnout:
LPE is working on a kit for the GTO. Just started on it a couple weeks ago. No information at this point, they are working on the prototype (mine). It'll be a few months before any details are clear. :secret:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts