LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GTOBLUR
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no mechanic but I have a question that I am curious about. I am sure someone has thought of this already but is there such as thing as a device that has water or freon like an airconditioner that forces super cooled air into a CAI instead of just taking in the slightly cooler air from the outside with a CAI alone? Would something like that work or would the air be just too cold?

·
GTOBLUR
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I was thinking of something that could be more sustained than the typical 10 - 15 sec bursts of nitrous. I mean something that would put cool air in long term and safe for the engine. Maybe what I am thinking is just not practical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am working on putting an evaporator directly in the air intake. i have already custom fitted an evaporator core just under the filter, just have to make a/c lines to attach to compressor.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Running the AC compressor eats more power than you will make by pushing that cold air in the motor...

·
"How big could it be?"
480 Posts
machinistone said:
Running the AC compressor eats more power than you will make by pushing that cold air in the motor...
True, but IIRC, the compressor clutch disengages at WOT. I would imagine the evaporator core would stay cool enough to greatly lower IAT's. Has anyone out there actually done anything like this?

·
IKSWHTASOL
2,223 Posts
dennysgto said:
i am working on putting an evaporator directly in the air intake. i have already custom fitted an evaporator core just under the filter, just have to make a/c lines to attach to compressor.
You may have bigger problems than fabricating AC lines. Have you given any thought to what will happen when all the condensation (water) gets sucked into your intake/engine?

You can't just depend upon gravity to let it flow out the bottom of the box like the regular evaporator because of the suction from the intake. Also be prepared for a lot more condensation than the normal AC evaporator produces.
Hot air passing over cold coils is what produces condensation. There is going to be a lot more hot air under the hood than there is under the dash.

·
06M6 Spice Red, 1 of 632
544 Posts
I always wondered about having those cold pipes like wrap around the intake tube? Water could be a problem for sure!!!

·
Resident SVT Defender
906 Posts
This almost sounds like John Coletti's Supercooler. It uses air conditioned air to :quoties:super cool:quoties: the coolant in the innercooler. Dang, that's a lot of cools! That's cool, though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts