LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a head and cam swap now.
Going to replace the timing chain, so I figure I should replace the oil pump as well on my 81,000 mile LS1.
Seems the Melling 10295 and 10296 have parts made of better material and/ or surface treated.
Thinking of getting the 10295, but putting in the stock pressure spring.

What are the thoughts out there on higher pressure and or higher volume ?

·
GR-RRR!
6,389 Posts
Doing a head and cam swap now.
Going to replace the timing chain, so I figure I should replace the oil pump as well on my 81,000 mile LS1.
Seems the Melling 10295 and 10296 have parts made of better material and/ or surface treated.
Thinking of getting the 10295, but putting in the stock pressure spring.

What are the thoughts out there on higher pressure and or higher volume ?
Just a general comment: unless there is an actual physical need for higher pressure or higher volume, a high volume or high pressure pump is just a drag on horsepower.

·
Registered
2004 M6 PMB
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you leave the high pressure spring in, or swap in the "stock pressure" one ?
How much did you shim it ?

·
Yes my name is Holden
546 Posts
Greetings Bill & all; I too was undecided so I called Melling. If memory serves they have at least 3 or more pumps available for the Ls. The OE replacement 10295 has OE volume & a spring choice. The 10296 has 18% more volume & again choice of springs & the M365 has was more volume & spring choices. For us Hot Rod types that like to rev our engines but still have stock bottom ends the Melling guy suggested the 10296 with the lower pressure spring. When mounting your new pump the books want it centered so consider buying a centering kit $10 to $30 bucks easy to do. Ole' Bob.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used the stock spring and I believe 60 thousands of shim. I remembering having o find small stainless washers and taking some material off the circumference for them to fit in the hole. Last year I was reviving the c stock bottom end to 7200 with btr .660 springs, tooly jam cam and btr chromoly pushrods with 8psi all day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just so you know I used a regular m295 pump from rock auto. Cheap standard volume and pressure. A little time porting and a bit of shim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts