LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add a simple methanol injection system for just a small amount of additional fuel supply/cooling effect. I don't have an IAT problem so it's mostly for more fuel supply and octane cushion. I run 50% ethanol currently and reach 90% duty cycle on my 95 lb/hr injectors rated at 3 bar pressure. I'm running 58 base with a boost referenced regulator. Currently hitting 15-16 psi at 6900 rpm shift point which puts me at 90% duty cycle. Long term I need bigger injectors, but I've been wanting to experiment with meth for a long time. It makes sense to do it now with a very small nozzle while I'm not really relying on it, but rather just adding some cushion.

Want to keep it simple as possible. How does this diagram look? Does the 12v supply to the hobbs need to be on switched power?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would add a fuse or two, but the relay wiring looks fine to me.
Oh jeez yes...LOL...definitely between the battery and relay. What I have now is a 0 gauge wire from batter with a large fuse back to a distribution block in the trunk. I then have dual relay's coming off of that with fuses that power my Magnafuel 4303 pump. I was planning to run the relay for the meth off the distribution block in the trunk and put a fuse between the block and the relay just like I did my fuel pump. The hobbs will be under the hood close to the battery and vacuum source.

My biggest thing was can I power the hobbs straight from the battery since it's normally open or does it need to be on a switched power source?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,514 Posts
With systems like the AEM Water Meth kit, it comes with a controller. The controller has a built in MAP sensor that will activate the water-meth in boost. There is a rotary dial to control when the ramp will start and a second rotary dial to control how how fast that ramp comes in. Much more control than just an on/off relay with a hobbs switch.

It also has status and low fluid light outputs for monitoring the system. In conjunction with this it has a "boost safety" output that outputs a ground signal for use with stand alone ecu's like a holley, which could activate a boost saftey cut and save your motor if the water meth runs low or the system malfunctions.

Kit comes with bottle, Pump, Controller, wiring pigtail, mounting hardware, 3 different size injection nozzles, and enough plastic tubing to mount the setup in the trunk.

I've installed one of these units on a turbo foxbody with twin 1000cc injection nozzles. Pretty slick setup. Very worth the $450

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm aware of the progressive units. Adds more complication I don't need. I'm only looking at using a single 440 ml/min not much at all. I'm on E85 now which is plenty of octane and cooling. I have leaned it out a bit and added timing just to see what it will safely tolerate "turned up" then backed it off a hair on timing and added a little more fuel which put me at 90% duty cycle at 6900 rpm. With a tiny amount of meth I can put that timing back in it and still have cushion while at the same time knowing it will tolerate that timing without the meth. It's also a very small percentage of my fuel supply so no need to ramp it in. It's not going to bog the motor at 4 psi with that small nozzle coming all in either.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have a 5gph nozzle on my, injecting low pressure, pre turbo and it bogs a little bit when it comes in, bcause its not progressive. I have it off for now. I added it because I'm running 18-20psi in third on pump gas and wanted the extra cushion. I think part of it is because my single 3" exhaust just cant flow enough right now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be using the high pressure pump injecting about 6" in front of the iat which is right in front of the throttle body. Probably be using more meth than water also and actually tuning for it as far as AFR. I've already tested and with E85 at my current timing level I can lean it down to low 12's on the gas scale without detonation. So I figure if I use a small amount of meth to get me to low 11's and it fails that small amount of meth loss will not bring me above low 12's which I've tested to be safe enough short term. I'm also a 6.2 at 10.6 to I compression E85 has such a wide window it's amazing. I just want to experiment with meth a little bit now as I have some plans in the future that may get pretty extreme. Bigger blower, 4 link, race car stuff LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts