LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be in the manual and I may have skipped over it since I did not RTFM entirely because some parts are boring.

Anyway, if you lock and unlock the DRIVERS side door from the inside the PASSENGER door will unlock. I am not sure if this is common knowledge, but to me it is a great find and wanted to share.

_DM
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
I knew it, but I knew it cuz I read it here. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huntress said:
I knew it, but I knew it cuz I read it here. :D
I think this site should start an effort to produce a 'Drivers' manual. The owners manual is not as user friendly as I would like. Sorry about the IT reference, but it could be better.

It took me quite a while to find the interior fuse box. The panel covering it does not have any of the standard 'fuse panel' markings. The manual had no description of where the panel actually is either. I had to replace a fuse because the manual does not mention how to replace the bulbs. I shorted out the drivers door bulb because I did not know which side of the bulb was hot. Later I learned that the entire assembly pops out. This would have been nice to know before I popped the lens cover off which is glued on.

Also, the bulbs in the "foot area" for both driver and passenger are indeed green. Many ppl have really found this to be totally cool to have colored bulbs stock.

I know this has been stated many times before, but this car friggin' ROCKS and we have a great source of information here. I think we could compile much of the info for a stock GTO to form something like a real guide for the car.

Cool thing is that the 2004 goat will be unique if Pontiac does not offer the LS1 as an option next year. This will be the centerpoint for us if so. If this proves true all 2004 GTO owners will benefit.

_DM
 

·
Enjoy the trolls
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
The owner's manual is really a contradiction in terms. There are a lot of very general information as if it was intended for a 16 year old about to enter a vehicle the first time. then they omit certain important detailed info such as where to find the screws to adjust the headlamps.

Forums like this are almost invaluable and they have made information sharing much easier. Car manufacturers should support these forums because we save them a lot of time and phone calls asking stupid questions like where is the fuse box, where is the screw to adjust the headlamps, etc. When i want to know something i find myself going to LS1GTO first and doing a search even before reading TFM. The index is also worthless. This is not unique to the GTO. Every car i have owned had some really pathetic owner's manual. They are hard to read and too much extraneous info yet lacking on detail on several important features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
desertgoat said:
The owner's manual is really a contradiction in terms. There are a lot of very general information as if it was intended for a 16 year old about to enter a vehicle the first time. then they omit certain important detailed info such as where to find the screws to adjust the headlamps.

Forums like this are almost invaluable and they have made information sharing much easier. Car manufacturers should support these forums because we save them a lot of time and phone calls asking stupid questions like where is the fuse box, where is the screw to adjust the headlamps, etc. When i want to know something i find myself going to LS1GTO first and doing a search even before reading TFM. The index is also worthless. This is not unique to the GTO. Every car i have owned had some really pathetic owner's manual. They are hard to read and too much extraneous info yet lacking on detail on several important features.

Yeah, how do you adjust the headlamps.....mine point straight down to the ground and I can only see about ten feet in front of me at night!!!!! :eek:
 

·
Enjoy the trolls
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
On the passenger headlamp, there is a white Philips plaastic screw just infront of the battery terminal.
 

·
Former Goatherder
Joined
·
658 Posts
Once you find that one, it's easy to find the driver's side, there is a hole you can stick the screwdriver through to reach it.
 

·
Gone but not forgotten
Joined
·
378 Posts
And another way to get it done...

I went to autoloc.com and ordered a switch and the harness to add a lock/unlock switch in the console. I'll post pics when it gets here and I get it done. Reaching back to lock and unlock really blows.

Diggs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Try finding the fuse box for the first time!!
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
bengood24 said:
Once you find that one, it's easy to find the driver's side, there is a hole you can stick the screwdriver through to reach it.
Just make sure you grab the LONG screw driver :D
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
Diggs said:
I went to autoloc.com and ordered a switch and the harness to add a lock/unlock switch in the console. I'll post pics when it gets here and I get it done. Reaching back to lock and unlock really blows.

Diggs
I personally do not have any problems with the way the doors lock and unlock. If you think about it, there is no way to lock your keys in this car. Put the car in park, they unlock depending on your programming. If you have great need for the passenger door to unlock, program it for both. JMHO :D

I think the thing that drives me nuts more is when a passenger gets out of the back and doesn't return the seat to it's original position. Reaching over from the driver's side to put it back is an act of contortion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,911 Posts
Huntress said:
I personally do not have any problems with the way the doors lock and unlock. If you think about it, there is no way to lock your keys in this car. Put the car in park, they unlock depending on your programming. If you have great need for the passenger door to unlock, program it for both. JMHO :D

I think the thing that drives me nuts more is when a passenger gets out of the back and doesn't return the seat to it's original position. Reaching over from the driver's side to put it back is an act of contortion.
I agree. My brother and a friend usually cruise with me, so when they get out I usually have to deal with the seat. :slap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Diggs said:
I went to autoloc.com and ordered a switch and the harness to add a lock/unlock switch in the console. I'll post pics when it gets here and I get it done. Reaching back to lock and unlock really blows.

Diggs
I want to see these pictures! I was thinking of using the window up/dn button and mount it next to the tc. Not sure about the mounting though.

Normally I don't need to lock/unlock the doors. They just stay unlocked, which is one problem. But the other day I was at an ATM and leaned out the window and the door locked. I didn't know until I tried to get out and couldn't ( i may be remembering this wrong :confused: ) Anyway, at that point I said something about f$%'n, no unlock switch.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
mlc said:
But the other day I was at an ATM and leaned out the window and the door locked. I didn't know until I tried to get out and couldn't ( i may be remembering this wrong :confused: ) Anyway, at that point I said something about f$%'n, no unlock switch.
:D Been there, cussed that. LOL
 

·
Est. Apr 2004
Joined
·
5,861 Posts
Huntress said:
Put the car in park, they unlock depending on your programming. If you have great need for the passenger door to unlock, program it for both. JMHO :D
Only works for you A4 owners. With an M6 unlocking the pass. door is a pain. My remotes are often very picky and won't unlock the pass door even after I hit it twice or more! :mad:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,327 Posts
radkon said:
Only works for you A4 owners. With an M6 unlocking the pass. door is a pain. My remotes are often very picky and won't unlock the pass door even after I hit it twice or more! :mad:
Do not just hit the button, hold the button down for a sec or two. Thats one of the big things I had to learn between it and my truck. With the truck, you hit the button twice in succession. In the Goat, just hold the button down.
 

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
radkon said:
Only works for you A4 owners. With an M6 unlocking the pass. door is a pain. My remotes are often very picky and won't unlock the pass door even after I hit it twice or more! :mad:
Well DOH! on me ;)

I should learn not to post during my morning coffee (wonder what excuse I will use later in the day :p)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Huntress said:
Well DOH! on me ;)

I should learn not to post during my morning coffee (wonder what excuse I will use later in the day :p)
and not after :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
 

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
Joined
·
14,481 Posts
Diggs said:
I went to autoloc.com and ordered a switch and the harness to add a lock/unlock switch in the console. I'll post pics when it gets here and I get it done. Reaching back to lock and unlock really blows.

Diggs
I'm very interested in seeing this Diggs, I had the same thought but I dismissed it because I have no electrical schematic of the car.
 

·
Est. Apr 2004
Joined
·
5,861 Posts
Warren said:
Do not just hit the button, hold the button down for a sec or two. Thats one of the big things I had to learn between it and my truck. With the truck, you hit the button twice in succession. In the Goat, just hold the button down.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it when I get the GOAT back from the wife. :D
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top