LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm gettin' old and lazy, but I've just about convinced myself not to do the cam swap. I'll do the LTs and tune within a couple of months.

My question:
Is a FAST intake worth it for these LS2s?
Big hp was never my goal for this daily driver; never wanted much more than 400whp...want it reliable and want to keep my driveline happy.

I'm not worried about the cost, just want to pick up 10 or so extra hp w/o having to work too hard for it...I already get that enough 6 days a week.

So, yes or no on the FAST intake, to go along with my CB, CAI and LTs?

Thanks

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
FAST w/o a cam wont give ya much. Some, but not much.
You have to look at it as a package. Each component designed to work with the others.

·
Might wanna knock first...
4,355 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
FAST w/o a cam wont give ya much. Some, but not much.
Ceiling cat be damned! The Fast 90 is good for 20-30 at the wheels...I remember seeing a before/after run on a LS2 SSR. As effective as headers...or is my memory going bad?

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
Enginerd said:
Ceiling cat be damned! The Fast 90 is good for 20-30 at the wheels...I remember seeing a before/after run on a LS2 SSR. As effective as headers...or is my memory going bad?
My memory might be bad. My memory says that the FAST on an otherwise stock LS2 wont do much. But I could be wrong.

The FAST really makes a difference when you get a free flowing exhaust and a cam. BTW, I am *not* ceiling cat, I just worship him.

·
Dismembered
4,339 Posts
I'm have an A4 and had Catless LT's, CAI, 3.91's and the FAST 90 and put down 360/360 on Speed Inc's dyno. The FAST is worth it in my opinion, it's a 30 minute install and not too terribly expensive for a 10-20hp gain.

:hail: Ceiling Cat :hail:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steel Chicken said:
My memory might be bad. My memory says that the FAST on an otherwise stock LS2 wont do much. But I could be wrong.

The FAST really makes a difference when you get a free flowing exhaust and a cam. BTW, I am *not* ceiling cat, I just worship him.

Well, I've already got the Borla catback, and the LTs are coming soon, and with the CAI that's already installed I figured the FAST intake might do some good.

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
Oh, no doubt it will do good.
Installing a cam without longtubes will do good too, but it will be "less" good.
Thats all im trying to say.

·
4 Doors?
1,196 Posts
I would say it is worth it. I remember the dyno tests in H/rod mag and they said the LS-6 manifold was 10hp over the LS-2. So i'm sure the fast is an easy 20rwhp.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys.

You talked me into it. I still may go with a cam, but that'd be in a couple of years, and if there are no issues with the car.

·
4 Doors?
1,196 Posts
Think of it this way. At least you will have all the right parts for later if you do decide to go with a cam.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Might be a more cost effective approach to get your stock intake manifold ported but you said cost isn't a factor.

Just a thought.

·
485, 432 rw m6
536 Posts
Talk to Vengence about the fast custom ported. Sponser to the left

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, now we're gettin' serious about not going with a cam...still want the FAST intake, but not the cam; thinking nitrous instead.

Sorry about this being in the wrong room, but I figured it'd be easier to keep it on the original thread.

The guy that will tune my car after the FAST intake and LT install sells Nitrous Express, so that's the system I'd probably want to go with. Not looking for big power, and won't probably ever see the track or racing from a dig (want to keep the wear to the driveline to a minimum), just want a real high quality kit (dry system?) that will install nicely, and enough whp (thinking medium to small jets to get around 425hp at the wheels) to beat your average basically stock '03 '04 Cobra, C6, GT500, etc. with a little bit of authority, but not too much; don't feel like walking 1/2 a mile and carrying my driveshaft back to the tow truck across my shoulders.

Am I dreaming? ;)
LMK
Thanks

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
Hmmmm....swapping a 90mm intake for a 90mm intake? Somehow that makes no sence. But, if money is no option.....Guess you can add a Fast sticker under the hood. If money was not an option and I wanted power on demand and still remain stealth and drivable and stock..............Im looking at a maggie or magna charger.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
Make up your mind, cam, nitrous, whatever. Your best route would be to tune and get LT's Pulley. 3.91's would help as well. I dont see why you think your drivetrain is gonna take a dump. I'm at 441 RWHP cam etc. And the drivetrain is fine. You probably want to get a clutch (if your manual) otherwise Autos are holding up just fine. Maybe just go mild cam, long tubes, fast 90 etc. Then you should see good gains, and still daily driveability. My advice get a plan and stick with it. Changing your mind then changing it back can make you go crazy like Kirk. KHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flash99 said:
Make up your mind, cam, nitrous, whatever. Your best route would be to tune and get LT's Pulley. 3.91's would help as well. I dont see why you think your drivetrain is gonna take a dump. I'm at 441 RWHP cam etc. And the drivetrain is fine. You probably want to get a clutch (if your manual) otherwise Autos are holding up just fine. Maybe just go mild cam, long tubes, fast 90 etc. Then you should see good gains, and still daily driveability. My advice get a plan and stick with it. Changing your mind then changing it back can make you go crazy like Kirk. KHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!
I'd rather be confused now and not regret my decisions later on...and I heard that around 425whp was pretty much the limit unless you don't mind sitting on the side of the road and and don't mind upgrading as things break, but maybe he was an exception.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Redrum said:
Hmmmm....swapping a 90mm intake for a 90mm intake? Somehow that makes no sence. But, if money is no option.....Guess you can add a Fast sticker under the hood. If money was not an option and I wanted power on demand and still remain stealth and drivable and stock..............Im looking at a maggie or magna charger.
I'm not. I figured nitrous would be the best way to go; maybe get the jump on guys that have more hp and that have spent a lot more on their mods?

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
I'm not. I figured nitrous would be the best way to go; maybe get the jump on guys that have more hp and that have spent a lot more on their mods?
that kind of goes away at $60 a bottle...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
svede1212 said:
that kind of goes away at $60 a bottle...
I'd hate to go full-circle and start thinking cam again, plus, if I miss my guess, I figured a lesser nitrous GTO going up against a more powerful cammed or supercharged GTO, the nitrous GTO will *kick* harder and have the instant response that I'm looking for.

I don't plan on racing other GTOs, I was just using them as an example.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
Its tough to decide, I'm sure. So many different ways to go. Be glad you dont own a Mustang.....the options are endless,:)
Im starting to think you are on the right track with what you want, tho...nitrous.
Happy hunting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts