LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddies friend is wanting to get rid of his 07 650r for $1k. The bike is pretty beat up but sound like it is mechanically sound (gonna go for a test ride soon). The gas tank and fairings are banged up which isn't too big of a deal. I am sooo ready for a bike again it hurts. I am really really tossing the idea around on doing a street fighter conversion on it. IE. remove the fairings, replace the headlights, tuck wires, ect. I think it would be fun, but I have apprehensions as I've never done that before.

I think they look pretty good if done right. Here are a couple of examples.

here is what the model year looks like with the fairings.

I might trade one of my big revolvers for it straight up. What do you guys think? How bad is going naked? I'm pretty decent at fabrication and have a few ideas but won't really have anything planned until I get eyes on the bike

·
Registered lurker
535 Posts
Nekkid bikes get pretty dang windy @ triple digit speeds. Since most folks don't have a need to commute @ triple digit speeds, that isn't really much of a problem.

I haven't owned a fully-faired sportbike in years, & prefer the more upright/open ergonomics of standard/nekkid bikes. Removing a typical sportbike fairing opens up room for taller/wider handlebars, which goes a long way toward alleviating the sportbike crouch.

All that said, a 650 Ninja already has pretty upright & relaxed ergonomics.

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at it yesterday and I think I'm gonna get it. He didn't want my revolver so I'm selling it to my boss. The fuel tank needs replaced, chain needs tightening, clutch and break levers need replaced, and the fairings are trashed. I think I'm going to go with dual round lights, some aftermarket turn signals, and some bar end mirrors. Should be a decently quick thing to accomplish. I may get a small wind visor (ala street triple) to help cut out some wind.

·
Registered lurker
535 Posts
Sounds like a pretty simple project that should be a fun cheap set of wheels. Gas tank sounds like the expensive part.

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the lights, levers, and turn signals ordered. I also ordered a street triple nose fly that I'm gonna try to modify to work with the bike. Still left to get is the tank, coolant overflow bottle, radiator guard, grips, mirrors, seat cowl, and maybe, just maybe a clipon kit. Might also order a rear tire hugger. Plan is to paint it white with red accents.

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the bike today. Some pics of the damage. The whole left side is pretty much smurfed. Also, the clutch and brake levers are extremely bent. Like my hand slipped off the clutch at a red light and I stalled it due to how bad it is bent. Luckily everything is pretty straightforward to fix or replace. Also got some pics of the new headlights and wind fly I'm going with.

Attachments

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some pics of the teardown. I thought I was gonna have to splice and rewire the harness for the new headlights, but I'll be damned I don't. Two lights, two plugs, same exact plug. Good news

Attachments

·
Registered lurker
535 Posts
Maybe not your style, but a bandaid sticker on the gastank dent would be a whole lot cheaper than a new gastank.

(Six bucks or so from Amazon)

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah not my style. A used tank is only a couple hundred in good condition

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not the prettiest welds in the world, but I got the bracket made for my guages. This was really tricky to figure out and the part i looked forward to the least. But it's done now. Next step is to make a bracket for the cowl (easy, will get mounted to guage bracket) and mount the headlights and turn signals

Attachments

·
いいえ、それ&#
2,018,380 Posts
Richard I see it there - please finish that fucking kit car! :lol:

·
いいえ、それ&#
2,018,380 Posts
The picture probably makes it look that way, but the frame you're welding in doesn't hit the fork tubes at full lock?

I can't ride with the low bars any more with arthritis, but it should be fun once it's done. I built a "cafe racer" from a Honda 750F back in the early 80s (I'll have to find a picture.)

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol in due time. And no, it doesn't. It turns with the forks. It's mounted to the triple clamp.

·
いいえ、それ&#
2,018,380 Posts
Lol in due time. And no, it doesn't. It turns with the forks. It's mounted to the triple clamp.
Oh ok - it just looked odd from the camera angle.

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Headlights and cowl are not properly mounted yet, but this is pretty much what the front end will look like.

Attachments

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lights are officially mounted a wired

If you can't tell, they are bright as fuck.

Now all I gotta do is figure out what the hell I'm gonna do about this ugliness.

Attachments

·
Dick Ross
7,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is the end result. Sold it to my buddy at work as I needed cash for another project. Will be buying it back though ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts